1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Blight still broken?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by WCH, Jul 23, 2009.

1. WCH

WCH Chieftain

I really feel like a crusade game. Never played Bannor "properly" before and I'd like to give it a whirl. But I've been lately playing with the Armageddon Counter turned off due to "blight" causing my cities to whither up and die in the last couple games. I'm a perfectionist about my cities, and I can't keep playing if my capital drops down to Pop 1.

So has this been fixed or should I play a different game?

2. travathian

travathian Chieftain

If your capitol drops down to Pop 1 because of Blight then I'd question your knowledge of game mechanics and planning. You know when to expect it, it is always at the same point in the Armageddon count. If it comes early chance are that your cities are small and the effect minimal. If it comes late, well, you have plenty of time to trade for health resources and build health improvement buildings to stave off the worst of its effects. I've played over a dozen games where I have been hit by Blight and not once have I had any city get down to Pop 1. If this is happening to you I'd suggest posting a savegame file and let people review it and offer further suggestions.

3. MiKa523

MiKa523 Nerdish by Nature

Blight is screwing up my games, too.
    Playing a patch "d" game on normal speed and I get up to 60 Blight, which means all cities starve to pop1 even with "sacrifice the weak" and plenty of health ressources.

4. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

Yes, it's still broken.

You just got lucky. Blight's not SUPPOSED to be that severe, but thanks to a bug that seems to crop up every time a new version of FfH comes out, it sometimes is for the human player, while ignoring some AI civs altogether. The bug doesn't kick in 100% of the time but it is there.

Kael's usually faster about squishing it.

5. Chip56

Chip56 Chieftain

Some things just like to annoy Kael.
    Remember Acheron?

6. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

My past three games I've been obliterated by Blight twice, though once it wasn't really that bad. I dropped about 2 population in each city before it wore off, but guess what? I was Calabim. River Of Blood -> No Problem. From the looks of it the AI only lost 1-2 pop in all of those games as well, though the Elohim Capitol lost 6 in that last one.

7. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

blight is always just a minor annoyance to me. I am not sure what people are doing to be so catastrophically maimed by it. Perhaps it is my slow building strategy, or that I am careful to keep my forests.. I am really nto sure. Sometimes my large cities lose a few pop points, but overall, it seems to be a good 30 AC event.

8. Grimz101

Grimz101 Chieftain

Personally i play deity so i can't expand that much otherwise it will cripple me, plus the AI expand very quickly, therefore i have huge cities grown to the happiness limit and are already unhealthy before blight comes along, then blight comes along and im at 1 pop cities.
    In deity the AC can rise very very quickly..

9. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

First thing I do is revolution to agrarianism. Hopefully it will take 2 turns, that way, 2 sick points are lost before blight even starts to take effect.

Then I just go through every city and make sure they are producing maximum food. If it is late enough in the game, I will also switch my mana nodes to life. I also start upping city health improvements when AC hits about 25.

I only play monarch, but really, I don't think balance decisions should rest on deity games. If you play deity, you are asking for a world of hurt.

10. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

I actually just posted in the Bug Thread about this. I think Blight is being applied twice. You can fix it by going into RandomEventsInterface and changing Blight to only apply half as much. That should normalize it.

11. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

What number do we have to change? I looked in there and only found this:

Code:
    def doArmageddonBlight(argsList):
        kTriggeredData = argsList[0]
        iPlayer = argsList[1]
    #    iPlayer = kTriggeredData.ePlayer
        pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
        if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() != gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'):
            for pyCity in PyPlayer(iPlayer).getCityList() :
                pCity = pyCity.GetCy()
                i = CyGame().getSorenRandNum(15, "Blight")
                i += pCity.getPopulation()
                i -= pCity.totalGoodBuildingHealth()
                pCity.changeEspionageHealthCounter(i)
        py = PyPlayer(iPlayer)
        for pUnit in py.getUnitList():
            if pUnit.isAlive():
                pUnit.doDamageNoCaster(25, 100, gc.getInfoTypeForString('DAMAGE_DEATH'), false)

12. drpop

drpop Chieftain

I think blight may be a little too severe, but I've never had a horrific instance of it nuking my cities to Pop 1, even when I play Malakim and I'm all around flood plains. I think that maybe the severity of it should be reduced (at least when it first hits) but make it last longer and possibly have "minor" blight outbreaks once the AC > 50.

13. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

Blight is arguably the absolute worst Armaggeddon event, worse than any of the Horsemen, worse than the Avatar, and in many cases worse than the Apocalypse itself. When this is the case, there is something wrong.

Play as Kuriotates and you'll see how bad Blight can be. Their cities are huge by design, and get extra blighted as a consequence. In my last Kuriotate game I went Order for the unlimited happies and grew my cities to size 45+. I knew Blight would be awful at that size, and so Itried to avoid it the whole game. When it finally hit, I was losing 88 food per turn. I don't mean that my net unhealthiness was 88, I mean that my food storage was decreasing by 88 food per turn. Yikes.

14. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

I managed to prepare exceptionally well for blight recently. Many health resources, smokehouses, granaries, and even herbalists. I was still hit rather hard. Not down to pop 1, but more than should happen when I've been going to the extremes of preparedness. These cities weren't even that large. 15 pop at the highest. Yick
    I don't know if there is a bug still going on in there or not. If there isn't blight could certainly use a little fine-tuning and maybe even re-imagining (<bitter>yeah, that'll happen...</bitter>). I'm just glad I've never delved too deeply into a Kuriotate game. That is a game breaking nightmare....

Didn't someone once have an idea to make the Blight sickness decrease in a non-linear fashion of some such thing? Maybe we should do that.

15. zup

zup Chieftain

I have had +120 unhealth from blight, though my capital was pretty massive at the time. But it seriously did not bring me to pop 1. Stabilized around 30.

16. Wretched Gnu

Wretched Gnu Chieftain

I just finished a Kuriotate game on Monarch (tower victory), and the Blight took all my cities down to 1. In each city there were 1 or 2 health buildings I hadn't built yet, but -- it seemed a little severe.

17. MiKa523

MiKa523 Nerdish by Nature

What is Pestilence by the way?
    Wasn't that some weaker blight that might haven after blight happened first?
    I've stumbled upon that, when I weakened blight in the eventmanager.

Is it possible that in some cases blight and pestilence are applied both, when the AC is hitting 30?
    (Maybe when the AC switches to 30->29->30 in one round)
    This seems more likely to me than something doubleing the effect of blight, which would probably appear as more of a steady bug for everyone!?

18. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Chieftain

I'm with the "its not that bad" camp. I've only gone through four games of this (all on emperor) and I've never had a city go all the way to one.

The best coping tactic I used, other than revolutioning for as long as possible as Neomega pointed out, was to switch to Slavery and Sacrifice the weak... had I not been veil already, that would have been the time to switch (subject to Hero decisions). After whipping as many health-based buildings as I could (having FoL as a first religion was great), or where that wasn't an option, the biggest whips possible, I didn't end up wasting too many people.

Also, it ravaged the Malakim and the Clan in that game. They must not have had many health buildings.

19. ProkhorZakharov

ProkhorZakharov Chieftain

The first time I encountered Blight was as Sheaim. All my cities were reduced to 1 pop and stayed there for around 10 turns, at which point I gave up and started a new game. Interestingly, my capital had been captured just before the Blight struck, and was in unrest at the time. When I recaptured it a few turns later it was completely unaffected by Blight. The AI's cities didn't have any noticeable population drops during the Blight. It might have something to do with Hell Terrain, which had spread over almost my entire territory.
    The second time I encountered Blight was as Bannor. It caused starvation in most cities (both mine and the computer's) for a few turns, but didn't significantly affect the game.

20. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

idk, I think it just targets some players, it certainly targets me with high alacrity, except when I play orcs for some reason ??, in which case I usually get a couple cities to do with what I will.

Due to the blight's personal hatred of me, my best counter to this battle of fate is to play as the vampyre, and feast all my cities down to 1 or 2 pop right before the hour strikes blight. Albeit, timing is key, and its best to have some greater level of control over those last couple of points. I do however think blight effects the ones that CAUSE the blight to a greater extent ... which may be why I am targeted so severely ^_^