1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BNW the last CiV Expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ximixanga, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ximixanga

Ximixanga Enlightened Despot

It's something that I have thought about every now and then and I've wondered if the latest expansion for Civ V would be the last major content update for it. Don't get me wrong, it is a very very good expansion pack that has boosted the amount of fun tremendously and also fleshed out areas of the game that were lacking or underdeveloped. That said, I can't help but wonder if there will be new content for it, specifically in the form of game-shifting expansion packs.

Brave New World is also currently the only expansion pack that didn't come with additional DLC released alongside it. I'm guessing this is probably because of the sheer weight that BNW brought along into the game and with that, the dev team focused almost exclusively on its new game elements. I'm quite certain they're considering at least some DLC release in the near future, but the prospect of another expansion may seem limited now that the game is this old and Civilization VI may be looming on the horizon.

Another thing is that civ games made after Civ III have traditionally only had two expansions per game. It seems like this game will also follow that same trend. However with the suggestion of modders taking over and turning the game on its head, there probably doesn't need to be a new expansion pack and if there were going to be a new one, what else could they possibly expand on? It's been vastly improved as of the latest expansion, but could the developers possibly improve it even more?

2. liltrogdor

liltrogdor Chieftain

Didn't civ 4 only have 2 expansions? If, yes then that would mean we would be getting civ 6 in the next 1-2 years and everybody is happy. If, no then we get another expansion and everybody is happy.

3. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

I would be happy if they just focused on creating a better AI and using that as their "expansion"

4. EulerMcE

EulerMcE Warlord

I would say it probably is, but another expansion wouldn't be out of the question if BNW sold past expectation and if player numbers stay strong. I wouldn't expect any more standalone DLC however or at least not a substantial amount of it. It brings it's own problems of compatibility - the gameplay design might have to be limited to those mechanics present in Vanilla. Expansion packs fair better according to them so it might be more profitable and easier to lump any potential DLC civs into an expansion

5. tedoll78

tedoll78 aka 'HylianTom' :)

I hope not. I know that several years have gone by, but it still doesn't seem like it's been all that long. I like the AI improvement suggestion.. that alone could be one whole major expansion. Maybe add a layer of complexity to our interactions with world leaders, with wider-ranging consequences, affecting all eras of the game? And maybe seven more Civs, with a handful of new world wonders, just to make it an even 50 civilizations.

As things are, I'd like to spend a few more years with this game, its huge variety of mods, etc.

6. raatmarien

raatmarien Chieftain

I don't think there will be another expansion pack, but I hope they will make an Alpha Centauri remake with the civ 5 game engine, similar to what they did with Civilization 4: Colonization.

7. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Civ IV had two expansions- Warlords, and Beyond the Sword.

Then followed the Gold and Complete editions, which introduced no new game content.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

It's all dependant, BNW was designed as the last expansion pack, and the devs probably are focusing on new projects (if any), but that still doesn't mean its' going to be last expansion pack, if the devs feel that Civ V could use something new, it will have something new.

9. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Well, I hope that it's more of a finished product upon release than IV Colonization.

10. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

Anybody who knows for sure would have to KILL YOU if they told you. But yeah, I would say it's a good bet that this is the last one. Usually they do 2 expansions, then wait a bit longer and do a full new version. Colonization was an exception mind you, so who knows. Maybe we'll have Civ V: Infestation in a couple years.

11. sendos

sendos Immortal

I just can't imagine a civ 6 though. If there ever is a civ 6, it would take all the functions from civ 5, maybe add corporations, alter trade route system, more civs, maybe implement a new happiness system that isn't so punishing for wide players, add great playwrights/filmmakers as a 4th great person for performing Arts. Wouldn't another civ 5 expansion be best for all that? What next could civ 6 add? Octogon tiles? So you can move due North and South with your troops in the game?

To conclude, I reckon civ 5 is truly the ultimate civ series. Unless civ 6 consists of yet another radical overhaul of the game, I can't just imagine it coming. At least not for a long while, about 10 years maybe. Then this forum would be filled with threads debating whether civ 5 or civ 6 is better.

12. DarthSheldonPhD

DarthSheldonPhD Warlord

While previous titles had 2 expansions, this is the first version that is steam-powered and has marketed DLC add-ons for additional revenue, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last "expansion" but they had several more DLC additions to squeeze a little more out of us.

13. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Civ 5 is bad, there's still no way for Great Admirals to leave the inland sea where your capital is located at -.-

14. Theruss

Theruss Warlord

This is probably the last one. May get some small DLCs though. As for Civ 6. I pretty much see it being similar to Civ5, just with prettier graphics, better AI, more diplomacy, and more management options.

15. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

excellent statement!
    :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

16. abone734

abone734 Chieftain

We've been waiting for canals for a loooong time.

17. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

In all likelihood there won't be another expansion. Maybe some DLC but i wouldn't count on it.

18. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

Well I hope there is a Civ6 with 64 bit address space even larger maps, better graphics and a better AI. Given the limitations of 32bit these days I'd think they would be more rewarded by putting their efforts into a new game rather than just trying to expand out the old one another time.

19. Rohili

Rohili King

I believe I read somewhere that the devs envisioned BNW to "complete" Civ V. Thus, I don't think there will be another expansion pack.

20. ambill10

ambill10 Chieftain

I think they let the modding community have this game now without anymore overhauls. Maybe the mod community will manage to improve the AI with some unforeseen leap in modding!

I think that the next version is always driven by the advances in CPU technology. There are already newer and better computers (like the 64 bit comment above) to allow a bigger and better engine for a Civ 6 in 2-3 years. I think the next generation of civ will have more map tiles between cities to make 1UPT work to its fullest. A lot of the current game mechanics would be revolutionizes just with an engine that can harness better computing power to blow up the maps to many times their current tile size and spread things out a bit. Imagine the current game on a map 2-5 times bigger with cities 10 tiles apart with a workable radius of five tiles. The current combat mechanics would feel significantly better IMO.

I hope they let us enjoy Civ 5 for what it is with modding improvements for 2-3 years while they work on a new, more powerful game engine that will run on the computers of 2016 instead of the ones we all have today.