• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Is Bush a weak leader?

Bush is the Commander-in-Chief and ultimately responsible for all that his adminsitration does. He puts his friends and relatives in positions they are clearly not competent for, then shifts the blame for foul ups on lower-ranking folk -- Abu Ghraib, for instance.

He lied about WMDs in Iraq. He continues to lie about links between Hussein's former regime and al-Qaeda. He lied about preparations in place before Katrina struck. He had Colin Powell lie to the U.N. to further his unexcused, mismanaged Iraq war campaign.

Bush is a weak leader not because he is weak-willed -- he is very strong-willed in that he is very stubborn-willed, he's just very greedy, blundering, short-sighted and self-centered. Anyone who questions his way to rule the world is unpatriotic and un-American in his eyes. Over 100,000 Iraqis dead, nearly 2,000 American soldiers and as-yet uncounted hundreds if not thousands across Katrina's vast swath. Both the general economy and the government's deficit are in shambles, and despite the promises 4 years ago, he has not brought the perpetrators of the 9/11 massacre to justice -- in fact he's put that persuit on the black burner in favor of Iraq, where in eliminating the, yes, totalitarian regime of Saddam we have opened the door to a new country with a lot of people having a lot of reasons they did not have before to hate Americans to al-Qaeda. We may be having trouble in getting recruits for our armed services, but Bush sure has done a bang-up job encouraging recruits for al-Qaeda.

Considering the action and results of all the major actions of Bush, I do not see how anyone could view him as a strong leader. He has failed on all fronts. The war in Iraq is far from over years after he said it was over; the war against the 9/11 perpetrators is being lost to fight an illegitimate war against Iraq; the needs of those in Katrina's path were not met before, during and certainly not after she struck.

If a leader does not accomplish their goals and, in fact, makes things worse ... to me, that's the very definition of a weak leader.

well,
He succesfully lead us through two of the worst diasastes in our history, Sustained power for 4 more years b going into war, Encuraged a sence of nationalism that the country hadnt seen in over 50 years and didnt get assasinated in the process. I would say that president Bush may have the IQ of a diselcsic Carrot but he is still a strong leader

Xen said:
I care about how much stregth and force of persona you belive he hask, if any, and how this is responsible for how he presidency has so far followed through upon.
I already lost faith in the president since Gulf War II started. I dont beleve he holds any striength and persona that would have faith in Bush as president. I am not sure if that is what youre looking for but this is my best answer :blush:.

I am the Future said:
well,
He succesfully lead us through two of the worst diasastes in our history, Sustained power for 4 more years b going into war, Encuraged a sence of nationalism that the country hadnt seen in over 50 years and didnt get assasinated in the process. I would say that president Bush may have the IQ of a diselcsic Carrot but he is still a strong leader

How do you measure success?

Iraq is in a worse state of anarchy than it was before we invaded.

al Qaeda remains as strong and capable as ever, as evidenced by the recent London attacks.

The federal handling of Katrina has itself been an utter disaster.

What did Bush succeed in doing again?

Oh yeah, getting re-elected on a fascist theocracy campaign. Congratulations.

SeleucusNicator said:
He was very strong in his first term. He got virtually everything he wanted, after all. In his second term, he has been weak so far.

Agreed. He should not have backed down on Social Security.

Chibiabos said:
How do you measure success?

Iraq is in a worse state of anarchy than it was before we invaded.

al Qaeda remains as strong and capable as ever, as evidenced by the recent London attacks.

The federal handling of Katrina has itself been an utter disaster.

What did Bush succeed in doing again?

Oh yeah, getting re-elected on a fascist theocracy campaign. Congratulations.

I measure succes aas us still being the only super power. though i might not be able to say that at the end of his term i can still say it now.

But i have to agree onthe facist re election campaign I said that it was sustained by war but preaty much the same thing. Also the fact that Kerry is a liar if i ever saw one didnt hurt him either

vikingruler said:
bush is a moron, idiot, and shouldn't be president. he doesn't give a rat's ass about new orleans or any area affected by katrina. iraq is just to get back at hussein after the attempted murder of his daddy. america is still the strongest nation in the world because of our army, honestly we could kick the crap out of any other nation, no offense to anyone. we also have tons more nukes then the world combined. america is strong because of presidents before bush, if anything bush weakened america. also, bush should be impeached with all the lieing he has done, like with the WMD's, i really hope the movement succeds. i suggest paying monica luinski (sp?) to have sex with bush in the oval office. ;)

In reality, Russia has twice as many nukes as the USA. ;)
How many are servicable and ready, is another question entirely.

On the thread subject:
My opinion of Bush is that he never really wanted to be the Executive.
His father shoved him into the role, and ignored the worrying signs of his
son's inability to properly organise or make money. I do not consider GWB
to be even a good capitalist. He is a hands on leader, or so he likes to think,
a 'rough and ready' statesman, who is unconcerned about detail - But likes
the broadbrush style of 'yes' or 'no' choice making.

His demeanour has tricked many into think he is stupid, or severely lacking
the mental capacity for leadership, the reality is that he does not care for
these issues. Bush appeals to the beer-swigging lower-middle class, even
if he has no empathy for this social group - He sadly lowers the bar for
most Americans who revel in his seeming scorn for snooty foreign leaders
and over-educated diplomats...Not exactly a virtue...

But Bush is anything but stupid - He knows where his destiny lies.

About his weakness? Yes, he is a human being after all. His past alcholism
is not cured, if the truth be told. And I fully believe he is on medication of
whatever types I cannot say, but his reputation and history of mental
problems, stemming from anger issues is a worrying echo of those final
dark days of the Nixon era...

Already we have seen his reaction to various crisises and two major US
disasters, and they have not been good. How much glossing over is the
American population going to swallow before it sinks in that the media-
polished image of these so-called 'new conservatives' in government is
showing obvious cracks?

CivGeneral said:
I beleve that Bush is a week and incompatent leader. I mean during both disasters of 9/11 and Katrina. He was vacationing in his ranch in Crawford. Also, I beleve that Bush is just fighting his father's war just to get Middle Eastern oil and risking the lives of our troops overthere and also risking the lives of inocent Iraqi civilians.
Bush was in an elementary school in Florida when The World Trade Centers were hit

1)He led the nation through one of our worst diasters (9/11)
2)He drummed up enough support for two wars.
3)Under his leadership his party completely wiped the floor with the Democrats in the Elections. Despite one of the most succesful liberal "get out and vote" campaigns in history.

He has leadership skills, it's proof enough that he is president, it's his way of using those traits that are sometimes... unreasonable.

Bush a leader? :lol: best joke ever....I always show my students his bushwacker 'quotes' and tell them, look this is the most powerful man in the world, so don't despair if your English isn't that great either :cool:

Strider said:
He has leadership skills, it's proof enough that he is president, it's his way of using those traits that are sometimes... unreasonable.

Strange choice of words.

I dont believe Bush is stupid, he might not be an articulate speaker but he most definitely isnt stupid. The American people and system would very soon find out if Bush was a fraud and put a quick end to hes presidency.

He has been masterful at media maniuplation. Charasmatic and has charm.

Is he a strong leader ?

Certain moments have qualified him for that. After 9/11, rallying the nation. (Or tapping into the sentiment)

Certain momrnts have shown him extremely weak as well Refusing to testify, blocking 9/11 and intell investigation

I think the facade is being to crack and we are begining to see the true face of Bush. As Strong Leadership is needed now more pressing then ever

He speaks to the Americans people like they are stupid, he talks down to them, he insults their intelligence, this is not what a good leader does, it is offensive and distances himself from the people he is trying to lead.

A good leader will make everyone a follower, especially when the people need to be rallied, whether they voted for him or not. Americans have always rallied behind their presidents whether they voted for them or not, but this is not the case with Bush. There is more division within the USA now than at any time since the civil war.

He is offensive to other countries (allies), countries like France who were key in the USA gaining it's independence, one of there greatest allies ever and have been put in the dog house for not playing along. Canada was always the first country visited by a new president, being that it shares the longest undefended border in the world, there largest consumer of American goods and likewise, there largest supplier of oil for many years, etc... They were snubbed by Bush for personal reasons. Other European countries also feel different towards Bush than past presidents, there is more outright hatred.

All these countries offered aid to the USA immediately after Katrina and the immediate response was we will handle it ourselves. I can see that this was a matter of pride to Bush, but it appeared that he acted with bad advise or no advise at all.

Good leaders surround themselves with good people, to me he appears to be a poor judge of people.

He has had some weights added to his load, inheriting his fathers legacy with Iraq and such, but it appears that he was looking for a fight when he first came to power and I know that there are a million conspiracy theories. What are the chances that one of them is true. He is the type of man that does not appear to be trust worthy and to boot is not a very convincing salesman.

These are my personal views and nothing more.

American Presidents are always weak leaders--we designed the system that way intentionally. A U.S. President can put on a nice suit and make pretty speeches, and he does have some emergency powers, but in the end the nation is too damn big for him to do everything all by his lonesome.

Strider said:
1)He led the nation through one of our worst diasters (9/11)
2)He drummed up enough support for two wars.
3)Under his leadership his party completely wiped the floor with the Democrats in the Elections. Despite one of the most succesful liberal "get out and vote" campaigns in history.

1% + votes is wiping the floor?

BasketCase said:
American Presidents are always weak leaders--we designed the system that way intentionally. A U.S. President can put on a nice suit and make pretty speeches, and he does have some emergency powers, but in the end the nation is too damn big for him to do everything all by his lonesome.

WOOT ???

Maye you should re-edit that its not scanning correctly

Actually, Diam, every election I've seen in my entire life has been that way. The winning side (be it Democrats or Republicans) always trumpets the victory as a landslide and a mandate for a new direction. Even when the margin of victory is 1%.

DiamanteLouco said:
1% + votes is wiping the floor?

I was talking about the Legislative victories, not the presidential.

Top Bottom