Is Christianity beefed up?

In My Ryhe Game all of Europe was islamic and Hindu :D

Except that I had to wuit ebcuase my game can't handle large maps

@ Tekee

Ahem, this forum is not big enough for TWO Orthodox Christians...

And I also like the idea of religion setting some AI personality, but we have to do that carefully and politically correctly...

Yes, I love this idea, but we'd be walking on thin ice.

How do you see this? Give us something to build upon, I'm intrigued.

It would be niced to see some Civs, Turkey and Arabia mainly, to be forced in to adopting Islam.
In most games, Turkey is Christian, and even Arabia usually adopts Christianity later on due to having the Christian Holy city and shrine.
It gets pretty boring when this happens and they become friendly with all the European civs, causing almost no wars to happen.

IIRC, Arabia will always found Islam in their capital if it's not already founded when they spawn. They are a Muslim nation in the great majority of games. The occasional game where they're Christian or Jewish isn't that big of a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Yep, in my experience, Arabs are always Muslim (and confined to the peninsula :mischief: ) and it happened once that Turkey went Christian (which is fine for me).

I'd like to see each religion setting an attitude mainly as far as spreading the religion.
Judaism shouldn't care much about spreading religion, but it should make Jewish civs like the other civs less. Jewish civs should tend to play defensively and only fight for cities that are already Jewish.
Islam should be willing to do anything to spread the religion. Anyone refusing to convert should have a high likelihood of being attacked, Muslim civs should usually have all their possible missionaries en route to cities they can convert all the time, and in wars Muslim AI should focus on conquering non-Muslim cities along with cities that AI used to own.
Christianity should spread the SR aggressively through use of missionaries, first in cities already in Christian countries and then everywhere else. They should be especially unlikely to attack another civ with the same SR, and especially likely to respond with exaggerated force when a non-Christian civ declares war on them. They should be very happy to ally with Christian civs against heathens, and they shouldn't care like Islam and Judaism about the religion in cities they may conquer.
I won't reveal the full extent of my ignorance on the Far Eastern religions, so I'll leave those for others to discuss.

Daoism (in whichever way your interpret it) doesn't place much emphasis on missionary work. As a philosophy, it is something which must be studied and grasped rather than spread. As a folk-religion, it isn't very different in nature to any other ancestral religion.

To recreate its rapid spread in the game, it might be an idea to encourage missionary production in Buddhism. Though this isn't immediately faithful to history (various leaders and scholars have eagerly spread Buddhism, but missionary work in its traditional sense isn't a priority), it should ultimately result in a historically accurate 'range' for Buddhism (which even reached Axum by the 4th century). Though Hinduism could also be found throughout southern Asia in the past, it makes sense to give both Dharmic religions in the game a relatively passive role.

For example, Anekantavada (literally 'non-onesidedness') is a common feature among Dharmic religions even though it's known under different names. For brevity's sake, it teaches people never to impose their beliefs on others or even regard their own as superior. Anekantavada however, is only central to Jainism (it is merely encouraged in Hinduism and Buddhism), which may explain why Jainism is far less popular than Buddhism or Hinduism today.

I noticed that most cities have only 1 religion at the time. It seems the IA doen't want to spread religions to cities that have allready a religion. I have seen a Muslim London and all other English cities christian. Something should be done about that.

Top Bottom