1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civ BE as glacial as Civ 5?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Mr.Giggles, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mr.Giggles

Mr.Giggles Chieftain

Since it's the same engine, did they fix at all the problem of Civ 5 taking way too long to process turns? If its as boring as civ 5 I'm not going to bother getting this game.

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The time it takes the AI to do its moves in both Civ V & BE (and for that matter Civ VI as well) is directly related to the total number of units on the map that need moved (including off screen ones)

BE though doesn't have a strategic map view; but presumably BE's orbital view could still be switched into prior to ending the turn for a similar speed up compared to staying in the regular map view while the AI moves.

3. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

Beyond Earth processing times are generally a bit faster than unmodified Civ 5 turn processing times, but performance during processing is a lot worse on both of my systems. It seems to me that they've decided to sacrifice stutter-free processing for some extra speed.

Given that games in Beyond Earth generally end a lot quicker than in Civ 5, the average turn processing times are probably quite a bit shorter, because you just don't have that laggy endgame (Which I think is a negative overall, but good for processing times).