is civ4gonna be just a civ3+???

ggm

Chieftain
from what I've been reading civ 4 just looks like civ3+. better graphics and more more moddability. Personnally I was hoping for more ctp (Call to Power) like stuff.

1st planetary layers and movement switchs. ie Subturaniean 1 subterreaien 2, surface, low orbit, high orbit, moon, and ocean levels.

This would allow for moon colonies, underwater cities, subterreian megolopolises, and orbital stations.

2nd progressive level of improvements. Thus farm could go to hydro farm to robotic farm to level 2 robotic farm etc. or orbital farm 1 orbital farm 2 so that future tech could actually have a meaning.

3rd roads highways railroads and maglevs should have the possibility of more than one per hex. ie just because you build a highway doesn't mean that the roads and railroad disappear. also conjestion should be modelled in the game. thus 1 road would support only 1 unit thus hexs with a great deal of roads could transport more units. you could then have a choice to upgrade or build a new more modern system side by side the older ones. Also the road bonuses to a hex would only be calculated after units have used the system thus forcing a choice between military mobility or infastructure production.

4th there has got to be a better way to survey for rare goods. maybe survey units (heaven forbid not more micro management).

5th more switches for units. ie hover units water and land. units that produce gold or food or production when on specific hex. the ability to mod specific bonuses against specific units on specific terrain. Single use transportation units, like gliders, or certain assault craft ( which in the pacific had a 10% chance of being beached or wrecked on assault.)

6th wonders which give automatic upgrades to attack/defence/movement/hitpoints of all units of a certain class. i.e the blitzkreig doctrine (of hearts of iron style) didnt make tanks any better, just made the units more organized thus faster. Combined arms doctrine could make it so that infantry + armor in a stack get special bonuses.

Spaced armor is another devellopment. radar a third. these could all be wonders which act immediatly or after a short time to improve units abilities without upgrading.

let me know what you think

ggm

ggm said:
let me know what you think

It sounds like you want a SF game, not Civ.

I agree with warpstorm and tex. The civilization series has always been more about looking backwards than forwards. I think the changes that the have made will serve well as improving they way the game represents past history...

its true many of my ideas for civ4 are in the late to modern plus age.

but consider sonme of the ideas. heavy greek spearman and hoplites were about as expensive to make as a roman legionnaire, from a blacksmithing perspective that is. perhaps the legionnaire was even cheaper because of massed produced iron and metallurgy techniques. the difference in cost may have been in training but I doubt it, the greeks were a pretty disciplined group.
However the doctrinal differences between the phalanx and the legion formations gave the romans a marked advantage despite the greeks longer spears. Thus strategy bonuses from wonders apply even to early eras.

Rise and Rule went a long way to develloping the late era in terms of tech and units. pushing it one step further would certainly improve the game in my eyes.

ggm

warpstorm said:
It sounds like you want a SF game, not Civ.

:) It sounds to me that you want a Civ game - with a little extra :D Why not? Yes please :goodjob:

Excerpt from the Book of Civ

And the Sid made Civ...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And It was Good.

And there was much playing and obsessing...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And It was Addictive

But the Eye of the Player was unsatisfied...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And It was unfortunate

And so the Sid gave the Player the Mod...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And It was full of the new Content

And the Player made the Community to share this Content...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And It was once more good

(And the jwijn was finally tired...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And He went to bed)

Top Bottom