Votes: 74 30.7%
  • Yes, its dead.

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • It was stilborn, I only play Civ4.

Votes: 36 14.9%

• Total voters

CraigBee

Chieftain
I was hoping for expansion packs similar to Civ4, but after over a year that doesn't seem to be in the works. With the recent price drops fro Civ5, I'm wondering, is this the end of the line for Civ5? No expansions, no more development?

Craig

Never played CiV4, but i like CiV and hope, that the expansion is coming.

Personally, of all complaints, I don't understand those against the interface. It's way more comprehensible now, and less off-putting to newcomers. I have to say that when I went from civ2 to civ4, I had trouble understanding what everything meant for a while, and I actually had already seen other people playing it!
Sure, the ads on the right of the screen could use some work as to avoid the spam of useless information, and tell you other things that might interest you (maybe even have an option screen to choose your preferences), but that's about it.

And on Civ5, the game is far from dead. Most civ5 players would buy an expansion with their eyes closed, should it add gameplay options (as opposed to extra civs, for example); I don't think 2K games will ignore that.

EDIT: plus, what Putmalk said, obviously.

Dead is a strong word to use, but i dont think the game will evolve much from the game we have today, with all its flaws and sometimes very strange mechanics. But it can still be quite enjoyable if you use game settings to counter some of its downsides.

Civ5 is certainly not dead. However, it does not appear to track the same progress as Civ4. If Civ5 came out first and Civ4 decided to go the Expansion route, people would say "Is Civ4 dead, we've gone a whole year and they haven't released any DLC." Civ5 seems to be releasing material every few months. It's been the longest since material has been released, but there is every reason to believe something will be released in the upcoming months.

I'm new to Civ5 and Civ in general, but I think it's one of the best interfaces I've ever seen. I'm a programmer too. I have to design these things for apps and had to do for a few personal attempts at creating games. It's extremely well done IMO. Also, the game has never crashed on me. That's really impressive to me.

Sorry, everyone here knows I wanted to give it a chance but... yeah, it's dead.

Copping a squat and leaving a steaming patch every six months or so wasn't going to cut it. The game needed serious work and Firaxis was clearly content not to do that work. No reason to stress about it anymore.

Wait, what?

Haven't they been patching the game on a consistent basis? I remember one in March, July, August, and now I guess December. So that's 4 patches for the year. That's bad? O_O And definitely a lot better than "one every six months". Where did that come from?

I think people have different definitions of what dead means. I generally view it as something that lacks a fan base and the developers are not working on it. Civ5 doesn't come close to this since Steam indicates it's a very well-played game and it's been patched regularly with substantial patches. New additions (both free and not free) are also regularly released to add to the content. I'd say that doesn't qualify as dead except under the strangest of definitions.

In one of the podcasts, I think it was the modbuddy one, they mentioned that a game was "alive" if there were a lot of people modding it, for which they wanted to make Civ V the most modable Civ yet.

This probably didn't take. Still, I've heard they are working on it.

No way, even there isnt nothing offical but Im sure Civ 5 sold alot. Why they dont want to yell that around? Because they want to stay quiet and keep competitors away. I actually believe soon we start to see some competitors. Civ 6 is coming for sure, theres million ways they can improve the game and force us to buy the next game and next.

Considering that Civ5 still has not left the top 10 games being played on Steam list since its release, I'd say it is far from dead. More people still play it than Left 4 Dead 2.

I agree. I was actually quite surprised when I checked the statistics and found Civ5 up so high. Close to 20000 people playing it simultaneously is impressive.

I am currently dividing my time between Civ 5 and HoI III. When I want complex stuff, I play HoI. When I feel like not thinking much, I go for Civ 5 :)

So one year after it has been released it's one of the most played games on steam, they're still patching the game, they're releasing DLC, and they've just announced there are more things on the way.

Yeah, it's like totally dead man. :mischief:

Will there be an expansion pack? No, there will probably not be something called an "expansion pack", because there's the DLC model nowadays.

Will there be future DLC? Yeah, i think so. Why not? There's a lot of people playing CIV5 so there's money to be made. It's as simple as that.

Will there be DLC that adds/changes gameplay instead of adding just another Civilization or scenario? I don't know. If no one is playing Civ5 then they're gonna stop working on it. And now that's just not the case.

I retain hope that there will be an expansion (meaning a DLC that changes game rules or adds a significantly different official modpack that can be used with any of the other game settings), and point to the lack of an SDK as my primary evidence of this position. As secondary evidence, 2KGreg did state there is something much bigger coming next year.

Top Bottom