1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is civ6 better on PC?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Nintendo Switch' started by blunt3d, Sep 19, 2020.

1. blunt3d

blunt3d Warlord

I'm a big fan of the civ series(civ2 to civ4 and alpha c). The scenarios,official expansions and fan mods always made me come back.

I also understand the switch is limited with its hardware. Im just wondering if I'm the only on that feels like firaxis is really milking this franchise this time... Is pc any better?

2. fantsu

fantsu Prince

PC is better. If you are liking mods, its much better.

If you enjoy portable gaming, Switch is a good option.

Switch got its own bugs, some can be game changing in some degree and fixes seem to come out slowly. If they can fix everything eventually this isnt problem, unless you are in a hurry. Aspyr seem to support Switch, just with weaker schedule.

Civ 6 can be enjoyable on Switch also, sure.

3. HEF

HEF Warlord

I've decided to pick up Sid Meier's Civilization VI for both Windows PC and Nintendo Switch.

Just to be on the safe side. :D

4. Linklite

Linklite Prince

I've not played much on PC, but this is my assessment:

Cons:
    1. Bugs are much worse in Switch. I've not seen a properly rendered road in months, and the HoF is playing up. It's also more likely to suffer from game breaking bugs than the PC. Aspyr are fixing things, but slowly. To be fair, the game breaking bugs are pretty quick to be fixed.
    2. The game seems to run more slowly, especially towards the endgame.
    3. Can't run mods, and no Red Death mode.
    4. Not sure if internet play is currently supported? I don't think it originally was, but I haven't checked for a while.
    Pros:

1. Much more convenient being able to play handheld around the home. Hot seat is much better.
    2. On a related note, but worth mentioning separately, you can play on the go, much more convenient than even a laptop. I know that is implicit in it being on the Switch, but really worth mentioning!
    3. Cheaper. All told, I think I paid about £76 for Civ VI (+ all DLC comes free with base game, bar the Nubia and Indonesia & Khmer DLCs), R&F, GS and NFP for the Switch (with sales on everything bar NFP). I looked on Epic Store yesterday and it was £90ish, bearing in mind I got the base game for free. It would be more starting from scratch, and those were with a sale on the upgrade.
    The game itself is better on the PC, and anyone who disagrees is just biased. On the other hand, don't underestimate the benefits of playing it in the Switch. My wife and I have played several games together, which would never have happened had it been on the computer.

If you have cash to burn, you could get both, you can start a game on one, save to cloud, and pick it up on the other. The only caveat (beyond needing internet) is that you can only do it with the same DLCs active that are available on the other. So if I have Aztecs on when I set it up on the Switch, but I don't have Aztec on PC I can't transfer that game. I don't think it matters whether Aztecs are actually present, you still have to have them disabled to transfer the games. If you go whole hog on both platforms, it doesn't matter

5. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

IMO I love the Pro Controller interface. It's much better than mouse and keyboard.

Civ VI (more so than Civ 5) was developed with touch and tablet interface in mind. At the cost of mouse and keyboard interface. On the PC I kinda suffered RSI on my wrist, even after investing in a gaming mouse.

I've played 3000 hrs on the Switch and don't have any issues with my wrist.

Though there are no Mods for the switch. (So I can't play any of my maps). But there's a ton of content in both expansion packs and season pass to keep you busy.

In general I prefer playing on the Switch.

HEF likes this.
  6. HEF

HEF Warlord

I highly recommend using a rollerball-styled mouse; preferably the kind LogiTech makes.

If you use this device, carpal tunnel will be a thing of the past.

blackbutterfly likes this.
  7. RDomico

RDomico Warlord

I own the game on both. I do much prefer the PC, but I really like the cloud saves. If I am going somewhere, I can easily bring my Switch and continue a game I started on the PC. Then I save again and finish on the PC at home. I don't think I've ever started and finished a game on the Switch, but it is nice to play a portion of the game.

I miss the UI mods for the PC when I am on the Switch.

8. Repete

Repete Chieftain

I'm in the same boat regarding a PC-induced RSI basically sidelining me from that platform. But I prefer the flexibility of the Switch anyway. Really, the base game (on sale) is one of the greatest values on the Switch, period.

blackbutterfly likes this.