Is Civ6 for me?

drhirsch

Warlord
Hi there,

I am a long time Civ 4 player, usually playing at Immortal, sometimes trying deity.
I tried Civ5 several times, but it just didn't cut it. I think it's just stupid (my personal opinion).

Is there a chance I will have fun with Civ6 or is it just another Civ5?

Maybe for one game but then you will find it tedious.

Civ 6 in its current state is a mess, so you will probably won't like it.
The 'let's play civ 6' by Absolute_Zero will show you why.
Stuff I don't like in civ 6 : 1 upt (traffic jams), selling units for gold, forest chopping in foreign lands, using unit production bonus policy cards to get max production overflow from chopping into buildings/wonders, diplomacy + agendas, movement point costs, infinite city spamming (distance between cities should at least be 4 tiles, not 3 as it was in civ 5), lack of roads.

Not right now, depending on what u like about IV and dislike about V, possibly not ever :( Call back after the games first patch, there's a lot of thing they could tweak to make it more worthwhile...

The Let's Play by AbsoluteZero was quite revealing. Thank you for suggestions. I will stay away for a while, until it's fixed.

Not right now, depending on what u like about IV and dislike about V, possibly not ever :( Call back after the games first patch, there's a lot of thing they could tweak to make it more worthwhile...

So you mean...right now (first patch arrived today)? ;)

Not holding my breath for such an early patch to fix the AI though. They got rid of selling units for gold completely.

Regarding OP, if you found V stupid chances are you might find VI stupid as well. But it really depends on what you like about IV and dislike about V in particular. I love IV but have managed to find quite some enjoyment with VI so far (with a couple of AI mods).

If you've played Civ 4 for as long as I have, then you'll probably hate it. I dabbled in Civ 5 a bit, but couldn't stand it. Civ 6 just felt like a continuation of Civ 5 and left behind the things that made Civ 4 as good as it is.

Some of these may be in Civ 5, I can't tell you since I didn't bother playing that game too far:

Not even talking about the bugs and abuses in the game, I don't like the idea of purchasing tiles to expand your territory. Purchase from whom, exactly? For what gold, from where?

I also like the playback at the end of the game to see how myself and the world progressed during the game - not in Civ 6! Another absent feature, as is any sort of global view in the game, that I could find.

Then city-states never appealed to me at all. I'd rather just turn barbarians up to max in Civ 4 to achieve the same basic affect.

Units don't stack... or at least not in any of the games/settings I was playing in. My massive armies needed to fit side-by-side on each tile.

I also found it too easy on normal settings. Even in Civ 4, I do have games that turn out to be "false starts" where I end up getting clobbered before I can progress too far, or behind the 8 ball for most of the game. But my first time into Civ 6 and I was just sailing through it.

The comments about how easy VI is at the higher levels disappoints me the most. It reflect poorly on the game and the AI.

I beat V on deity the first time I played it too. And I had no clue of the rules.

I am more addicted to Civ IV than Civ VI, though Civ VI is much improved, less fun left for me to play it to the end. Because I don't have a very specific purpuse any more. So many choices you have to consider. There is so much uncertainty. And the interface still has room to be improved, like I want units to be shown manually according to their types, and I want to see the whole world on a sphere. But once when I am in Civ IV, I know I should expand my territory as soon as possible, then inhance my productivity and fiscal revenue. You can quickly have a blueprint for your empire, and you can't wait to see it to be realized. That's why I still prefer Civ IV the most.

VI is far superior to V and imo will probably be the best in the series in the next few years with the 'you know it's coming' expansions.

Don't take orasis too serious. He was probably looking for some attention. Just like...well I can't use that word here otherwise I'm getting into trouble.

So any Civ 4 folk have anything more to say about VI? It's been some time since the game came out; have patches come out that have addressed any of the issues anyone had?

Top Bottom