Is CIV6 looking more or less mod friendly?

hellagrant

Chieftain
So far, is CIV6 looking like it will have more, less, or the same mods as Civ5? Is it easier to mod? etc

I think enough time has passed where we can get an answer.

AFAIC.. it will be much more moddable than Civ5 was -- for a very simple reason; the SDK should offer us plenty of extra (and new) features.

Rumor has it that an extensive library of authentic assets & resources will get distributed while various creative tools could be coming along with it.

Trouble is, we still don't know when exactly. Trust me.. i've put a wild Z6-Eras (similar to the Civ5 version linked in my signature) project on hold until that spectacular modding device finally comes our ways (Nutty & i).

Asking this before the Mod tools are released is pointless.
Not really. We have access to all the code that will be available when the mod tools are released right now, so the mod tools will only be a convenience (and possibly tool of additional resources).
The only thing that could be a game changer in terms of general modding is access to the dll, but that's stuff for the really experienced people, not for the everyday modder.

So for now my answer is... depends on what you want to do.
Create new Civilizations? Create unique Units? Unique Buildings? Animated leaders?

Yes indeed, when it comes to that Civ VI promises to be great modding-wise and an improvement over Civ V. Especially if the devs release good modding tools, such as a "unit builder" where you can select the parts you want and basically create your units in real time this will be pretty awesome. Thanks to the perk-system - which is a bit hard to understand at first - there's also a LOT of extra stuff you can do to make your Civilizations feel unique in terms of gameplay by only adding stuff to tables and not having to do any actual custom coding, and all perk-functionality is shared between systems, so you'll for example never have the problem of having to use dummy-policies because only policies have the functionality you were looking for.

The problems appear in when it comes to Gameplay Overhauls, total Conversions and similar things.
Currently, a lot of stuff is just hardcoded and simply cannot be changed at all (again, dll-access may change that one day).When it comes to that I'd actually make the claim that Civ VI is LESS moddable than even Civ V.

Last edited:
I already lack two things:
Different muiltipliers for different costs in gamespeeds. And MaxPlayerInstances in Units table. I really liked "elite unit" idea in CivV mods.

I've been holding off on getting into Civ 6 modding until the tools are released, at the very least. One of the big reasons is that I've gotten so accustomed to being able to implement unique improvement and unit graphics to help shape the look of the game, I'm quite leery about getting into modding Civ 6 until I have some idea that it'll be able to support a similar level of graphics modding. Sure, a unit builder where one can swap helmets and weapons around is handy for historical modders, but it's going to be pretty useless for me to build a railgun-firing flying superfortress or flame-flinging wizards like I can do with Civ 5. Some of the improvement modding tools may at least be able to import models over, but I do still wonder how much the acclaimed wonder animations are going to be able to accept modded wonders -- what if you NEED a wonder animation to implement a wonder? The question of whether or not we'll be able to actually import and modify effects is another question, since that was a big handicap in Civ 5, and the lack of any sort of fantasy or sci-fi effects in the current version of Civ 6 may put a damper on anything other than historical mods if no effects can be imported.

There's also the question of what the Lua API will look like. As much as lots of modders got intimidated by Lua and are probably eager to just make XML-only mods, I've found that Lua offered a lot of flexibility for triggers and things. Want a building whose yields change depending on arbitrary environmental conditions? You probably can't do that with XML tables. Want to restrict unit production -- for example, only being able to build a certain unit if you have a certain wonder in your empire? Not sure you can do that with the XML tables either. Want to have a wonder spawn units randomly, or have a civ's UA do that? Again, probably can't do it only with XML. So I'll be curious to know what event handlers actually exist in the Civ 6 Lua API, particularly considering how several were missing in Civ 5 that had to get modded in via certain DLL mods.

Still, I suppose at this point some things should be apparently from examination of the XML tables. I'd be curious to know if they actually managed to provide unified yields, and whether or not buildings can actually modify everything -- the fact that Civ 5 buildings can't modify improvements is a source of great irritation to me, but since they actually did provide that functionality in Beyond Earth I'm hoping they learned their lesson and made buildings, policies, and so on flexible enough to modify most game elements.

Unfortunately at the moment: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/current-status-of-lua-modding.603706/

I may have to talk to Rob or somebody about perhaps pinning that rather than moving to Tuts & Refs. At least until the info contained therein is superceded by release of tools and a better modding version of the game.done

As fas as XML/SQL modding goes, you can add world and national wonders, but you have to make them be added to the city center rather than placed on a map plot like the Firaxis-supplied wonders. There is even a game event that fires when wonders are completed and that determines if the pop-up should happen. But because of the issue with Gameplay Scripts not reloading along with a saved game, it is not usable at the moment. There is an extensive suite of events which I haven't gotten around to thinking about documenting, but again it is kind of a moot point until the lua status is resolved by updates/game-patches/SDK release.

Last edited:
Ahhh, thanks for the info, LeeS. I haven't been following the Civ 6 modding forum too closely, so wasn't sure how much work people had done in deciphering the Lua API. Given the information about the (lack of) Lua functionality in Civ 6... ah well.

The information about wonders is interesting... I'll be curious to see what is ultimately required to make wonders once Civ 6 modding is in a more developed state.

I already lack two things:
Different muiltipliers for different costs in gamespeeds. And MaxPlayerInstances in Units table. I really liked "elite unit" idea in CivV mods.

That sort of thing would be very easily done once the DLL is made moddable.

Top Bottom