Is CivFanatics a christian site? It seems to be....

There's no generally accepted definition of "religion", and people use the word in different ways, so people are perfectly entitled to apply it to anything they want, provided they don't expect everyone else necessarily to agree with them.

keep in mind there's a lot of diverse people on this website and some of them are bigots, if you follow the offtopic forums sooner or later you'll read some stuff that's sure to infuriate you.

I got banned a couple times for giving a piece of my mind when this happened so I just stopped following that forum even though it was very interesting, I have better stuff to do than get into internet fights... I recommend you do the same if you want to safeguard your sanity :p

There's no generally accepted definition of "religion", and people use the word in different ways, so people are perfectly entitled to apply it to anything they want, provided they don't expect everyone else necessarily to agree with them.
Plotinus, people are usually respectful in your "Theologian" threads, correct? That's not the case in other threads. If I say "I'm atheist" and someone argues a dozen times afterward that this means I'm "religious" or "follow the atheist religion" or "follow the atheist faith" it honestly feels like trolling. Saying it once could be a mistake or misunderstanding. Saying it many times is just baiting and intending to cause anger - isn't this part of the definition of trolling?

If we're talking about Civilization, then no, atheism is not a religion. IRL, though, atheism can reasonably be called a religion, in the same way that zero is a number.

If we're talking about Civilization, then no, atheism is not a religion. IRL, though, atheism can reasonably be called a religion, in the same way that zero is a number.
Since my preferred version of Civ is Civ II: Test of Time, religion never comes into it. The only time I bother with anything religion-themed in that game is to quell civil disorder until I can build the relevant Wonders and switch the government to Fanaticism (in the Midgard game). Then any temples or monasteries that got built get sold.

In RL, I should think that I ought to be credited with understanding just a smidgen more about atheism than a non-atheist who can't fathom the idea of not worshiping anything. As I said, once could be a misunderstanding. Twice could be difficulty in understanding the explanation. Dozens of times is just trollbait meant to provoke a reaction.

I don't think we need to discuss the meaning of religion here, but to be clear on the trolling point, expressing semantic disagreement is unlikely to amount to trolling, either in OT or the rest of the forums. However, if a user were to stridently insist on labelling another poster in a way they did not wish to be labelled, it may be possible to discern an objective intention to provoke a negative reaction. The standard in non-RD threads OT may, of course, differ.

However, if a user were to stridently insist on labelling another poster in a way they did not wish to be labelled, it may be possible to discern an objective intention to provoke a negative reaction.
This is what I'm talking about, except it's not a "may be possible" situation. It's blatant and very obvious.

If we're going to go that direction, then I would take issue with constantly being labelled a conspiracy theorist, and then constantly being levelled trolling insults, like how conspiracy theorists have sanity issues, they're stupid, paranoid, they have some compelling psychological need stemming back to their childhood, all that.

CFC rules already state that you cannot insult wide groups of people. Conspiracy theorists easily fit that category. But I don't go fight for further erosion of free speech. Instead I contest it in the forums. If you get to label me like that, then I get to label you a crazy conspiracy theorist as well, for believing 19 Arabs simultaneously hijacked 4 airliners and levelled two skyscrapers in one morning. And I get to psychoanalyze your childhood issues for continuing to believe that as well.

Fair is fair.

There's a difference between insisting stridently that a poster has religious faith after the poster has repeatedly stated that is not the case and informing a poster that there is evidence to contradict his conspiracy theory.

Of course if they flame you while refuting your ideas, that's obviously something that should not happen.

Why do you even respond to that person? If they claim that taking the position of "not knowing but also not believing without evidence" is "faith", then they have already outed themselves as either being intellectually incapable to process the difference, or too dishonest to admit (to themselves?) that have to have faith to defend their position while you don't.

In either case, nothing you could do or say would sway them.

IRL, though, atheism can reasonably be called a religion, in the same way that zero is a number.
On a limb, I'm guessing this attitude has arisen in / from the USA. Where I live, where the default position is atheism (and where little distinction is made between atheism and agnosticism, let alone gnostic atheism, gnostic theism, agnostic atheism, and agnostic atheism), it would be seen as very weird and silly to go around calling atheism a religion.

You may bring up the number zero, but then I may bring up the TV being off as a TV channel, and so we can go ever on. :p

I see many sigs and posts promoting religion (real world religion, not in game CI religions!) in the Civ forums.

When I post something pro-humanistic and object to the religious proselytizing, I am reprimanded in very unkind language. The moderator is clearly some kind of evangelical.

I come here to talk about GAMES, not real world stuff, and it's very disappointing to have to put up with the horrid religious talk, and then to have a sanctimonious mod smack me down for being pro-humanistic.

Is this a christian site, and I just never knew about it till now?

I'm with John Lennon -- give peace a chance and imagine no religion. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO EXPRESS THOSE VIEWS ON THIS FORUM. It shouldn't even come up!

Why don't they ban all real world religious talk? That's the only way to make it a clean site. You know, separate church and state.

Religion is an aspect of the Civilization game. Modders should be able to openly discuss all aspects of the game without censorship, or ridicule.

Erm, you've just posted that people in an Internet forum should not be subject to ridicule…

Erm, you've just posted that people in an Internet forum should not be subject to ridicule…

Promoting objectivity in the civ game as i have done is good, but to openly censor, or ridicule is bulling.

CivFanatics has many members who are fans of creative works strongly opposed by various Christian family organizations for their "immorality."

In fact, the Civ games themselves have quotes and other references from creative works deemed offensive to various Christian family organizations.

Despite the "God" name in my username, I am an atheist. My username is just a reference to the Civ V expansion pack "Gods & Kings."

And my name is that of a deity of darkness and destruction and all-round evil lets-conquer-the-world plans in a fictional D&D setting, but I do not go around trying to conquer the world!

And my name is that of a deity of darkness and destruction and all-round evil lets-conquer-the-world plans in a fictional D&D setting, but I do not go around trying to conquer the world!

Or do you?! :mischief:

Please ignore the odourless, colourless poisonous gas coming through the keyhole…

Top Bottom