1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization forever dead?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by jjkrause84, May 12, 2016.

1. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Any Civ without mods its shalow for me. We will see if VI will be moddable on the same lavel as V. Its so then im stay with IV.

2. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Yes, it is.

Modding has also more or less died. Good luck adding new buildings, now that you're limited by the map. Remember all those HUGE Civilization IV mods, with thousands of units and buildings? Impossible now.

See also this gem:

3. MkLh

MkLh King

1UPT is not good news but it seems they are at least abandoning some of the worst features of CiV. For example, leaders now have personalities that greatly affect their playing style which implies they are moving away from V's failed "play to win" AI approach. I also understood global happiness is gone for good? The city districts are interesting idea also. Bleach also managed to get V at least a bit better with Brave New World.

4. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Is Civilization forever dead?

What a strange thread title. Of course it isn't. I've played Civ since it began and each one has been better and better - except for III maybe. OK, Civ V started poorly as the vanilla game just wasn't up to scratch and rather empty but it improved vastly with the add-ons.

I'm 99% sure VI will be better still and just hope they have a big rethink about the childish graphics which are a regression from V's graphics if anything.

5. Edish

Edish Chieftain

Well... it's looking more and more like it's going down the SimCity-route, which had it's highmark years ago - and then was dumbed down, and dumbed down until we ended up with the Ipad version that is just a complete joke... But then Skyline: Cities came and a new series was created, taking the legacy on...

Maybe Firaxis is not the right company for Civ anymore. Civ5 was way WAY worse than Civ4 on launch, and hardly superior after it's DLCs... And BE on launch... atrocious... Actually just played one or two games after the BE expansion, cannot get into it.

6. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Dead you say? No I say, to me it look like they are going to take many great parts of Civilization V and improve on these with Civilization VI and not only that but they are going to added many new big changes such as district system, active research and possibly even reasons for war.

7. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

Civ5 Complete is the pinnacle of Civ after Civ3 Complete. Civ4 was a pretty mediocre aberration. If Civ6 is an iteration of Civ5 it will be great.

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

You make a great point about Beach....he led a pretty successful effort to pull vanilla 5 out of the mire. Not too many people could have made vanilla 5 a reasonably decent game.

It seems like 6 will definitely be better than 5, but for me I would still consider that a low bar. Time will tell...

#StillSoren ;)

9. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

heroes of might and magic is death. The settlers is death.
    Civilization is very much alive. 50.000 players at the moment and fifth game on steam for civ 5. 5/6 years after release. Huge succes.

10. SWY

SWY Prince

If it's about the graphics: I'm sure there will be mods to change to graphics to something more of your liking.

I am really looking forward to this game, and I will play it as I've played every Civ game.

11. Absolution

Absolution Prince

Why isn't there a like button?

That's why I hope they make simpler leaderheads, and also simple traits/abilities to create and balance for modders.

12. crazyotto65

crazyotto65 Chieftain

As long as my CD-ROM of Civ IV doesn't break, Civ will ALWAYS be alive for me..

13. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Actually, Civ 5 is not as moddable as Civ 4. Civ 6 is said to be at least as moddable as Civ 4, so it will be a lot more moddable than Civ 5.

14. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

If you don't like Civ V I doubt you'll like Civ VI, it seems like Civ V BNW is clearly the basic idea they're using.

Everybody seems to get off the Civ train at some point, there are people who still think anything after Civ II is not really Civilization.

15. civvver

civvver Deity

Stop using the financial success and sales numbers as evidence civ5 is a better game. Civ5 had the steam platform to advertise the ever living crap out of it. You can't compare them at all when civ4 has like zero ads and civ5 has prominent ads on the platform that accounts for like 90% of pc sales.

It really doesn't matter though, both games are fine. I just pray that civ6 loads and plays fast. Civ5 never fixed their performance issues and it stinks. For example I loaded up a saved game on civ4 with 22 civs and huge map, took like 2 minutes from launching the program to playing my first turn. Civ5 takes me 5-10 minutes to start the darn thing then another 5-10 to start a new game or load an early save. Big detractor from playing it.

But you know what, I don't really care, there's so many other good strategy games out now one doesn't have civ as like the sole experience. Stellaris is getting great reviews, there's a new master of orion coming plus all the other fantasy based civ games like endless fantasy and warlock games. When civ2-3 was out it was civ or settlers or anno and that's it pretty much.

16. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

After vanilla launched there was a lot of talk and gloating about civ4 being the commercial success and civ5 being the bastard entry until they fix it again in civ6.

So in that sense , pointing to Civ5 succeeding and following civ4s trajectory of becoming an amazing game after the 2nd expansion is fair game.

17. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Also, fans of 3 talked smack about 4 at release based on how shallow and uninteresting it was compared to 3. It's just the same pattern over and over again.

18. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

We got over it. :) I was a bigger fan of 3 myself
    What's disconcerting to me is its 2016 and we're still dredging up arguments against civ5 from 2011. It's like a large number of people attacking the game here didn't play past the pre patched vanilla game

19. noto2

noto2 Emperor

I don't know what kind of abomination Civ5 was when it came out because I was convinced my comp couldn't handle it, and Sulla convinced me the game was :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :). I continued playing Civ4 with Kmod right up until the end. Eventually, about 5 months or so after BNW came out I gave it a try, and I hated it, and promptly resumed playing Civ4 - with Kmod. I shelved my Civ5 for about a year, and then picked it up again.

I learned the game and got good at it, and appreciated its depth. BNW is just as good of a game as civ4 BTS, and now that I've modded it with things like Acken's mod I thoroughly enjoy it. I haven't played Civ4 in over a year, and I'm a person who clocked in somewhere between 1000-2000 hrs on Civ4.

To say that Civ5 isn't a serious strategy game is completely disingenuous. In its current state, with very minor tweaking/balance mods, it's an amazing game. I won't ever play Civ4 again simply because I've had enough of it. It was a great time, don't get me wrong, but 2000 hours is enough. I'll enjoy playing Civ5 until well after Civ6 is released. I'll probably wait until at least the first expansion before I jump ship. I wonder if you've really given 5 a fair try.

20. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Buddy I played a good 500 hours of Civ2, and probably 1000 hrs of Civ3. How in the hell can you say Civ5 is "simplified"???

You're entitled to your opinion. Maybe you think 2 or 3 were better games, but they are in no way more complicated than 5. What is this simplification you speak of? Civ 2 had no strategic resources, no real differentiation between naval, ground, and air units, no great people, no golden ages, no unique units, buildings, or improvements, no leader attributes, no religion...

If anything, a valid criticism you could make is that modern games are too complicated. This was indeed the complaint about Moo3 vs Moo2. You can argue that you like playing Civ2/3 better than 5, but you can't argue that 5 is simplified. That's just flat out wrong.