1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization forever dead?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by jjkrause84, May 12, 2016.

1. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

this would make sense if the main game was objectively superior to mods, but that is simply not true. each mod has its own gameplay and even though you may not like all of them, you would definitely like some of them if you only gave them a chance.

the fact that civ4 can be turned into a very different game with total conversion mods adds a lot to the longevity of the game.

2. Lay_Lay

Lay_Lay King

True. King level game is on rails.
    No one plays King.
    My complaints about Civ4 are not because the low level play is too mindless. It's that the high level play has no tactical warfare, no usage of terrain, all the combat take place at the city tile. That was always terrible design imo.

3. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

it's true that civ4 had a crappy combat system even by 2006 standards, but being an empire building game I think the combat having a high level of abstraction is a reasonable drawback, I find I get bored quickly with tactical combat a la Age of Wonders

civ5 has a really nice combat system, the problem is that in order for that to work ( and not even work well due to map congestion and poor AI ) they had to make a lot of changes to the game and at the end of the day even the designer himself realized it was overly ambitious and didn't work as hoped

4. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

I think that Firaxis played themselves into a corner with Civilization IV. Not only did they release the greatest strategy game ever (maybe even the greatest game ever, full stop), but by releasing the sort code they enabled modders to keep on improving the greatest ever game virtually without limit. This created something that was impossible to compete with, which is why they went back to the drawing board with Civ 5 and created a game that clearly wasn't as good. The genre has peaked; I'm not sure how any games company can top Civ4 + BtS + SDK mods.

5. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

It is worth mentioning that many mods adds nice features to Civ4 combat system including field randged bombardment, supply system, limited SoD, combined arms, army revolts, terrain damage ...

6. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

"King level game is on rails. No one plays on King"

King if the 5th of 8 difficulty levels (and my King experience mirrors my Emperor experience). What does it say about the game that only the top two difficulty levels are the only ones in which the computer actually poses some sort of challenge?

7. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Prince

It says that very few games in recent years have considered competent AI to be an essential feature of their games. Just add in the AI when it's feature-complete so you never have to re-write it! I'm sure you can hammer something out in the 2 months before release...

8. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Aye. What I'm really saying is 'I enjoyed all Civilizations up to Civilization IV'. And yes, I give V three chances, two of which with all the DLC, both singleplayer and multiplayer.

9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

'competent AI' is such an amorphous subjective thing.

To me, AIs should be able to use the game systems and game systems should in turn be tuned to help the AI without feeling like it hamstrining the human player.

This is why some older TBS games still feel right today. The AI was crafted for the game.

Pointing out to dumb tactics is one thing, but I generally see good AI play in Civ5 on the grand strategic level. My current game, the Huns the Greeks teamed up on me , closing my path to victory on Venice. I would have won had they fought each other instead. Which is what I could have done in Civ4 by bribing one of the two to fight each other.

Bribes didn't work here. Since the Greek AI already determined I was their biggest threat and the runaway Hun AI is purched right next to me and I was the obvious next target.

10. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

:lol: I play on King because I am too busy modding. I suppose I should try emperor sometime here.

11. rastak

rastak Emperor

Would it make you feel better inside if they made a bunch more levels to match up with your expectations?

You've written off Civ V clearly and seem to have done the same to Civ VI based on the title of your post. I'm just saying we're all Civ fanatics here, right? I'd pick the Civ version you like and go focus on it. Don't play a game you clearly don't like.

I do know the forum and way it's moderated wants open discussion on the pros and cons of the franchise we love ( why would be here otherwise if we didn't love it), but if you hate it, move on.

12. AlphaShard

AlphaShard Emperor

Civilization is nowhere near dead, if Sean Bean can survive a trailer of it so can the game. He even said it there is no limit to Civilization!

Seriously though it is way to early to say whether or not CIVVI will be a good game or a bad one.

13. rastak

rastak Emperor

60k concurrent players of Civ V when I checked 3 seconds ago. It was already in the top ten most of the time after being about 6 years old....I guess the fans of the game are fired up.

14. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

Civilization is not dead. The fans are just fed up at being constantly let down.

15. rastak

rastak Emperor

Some fans. I thought Civ V was the most fun I'd had since Civ I which was hard to beat.

Some people are let down.

16. dexters

17. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

CiV's vanilla stripped the series of some of its most basic features and fundamentally altered the nature of the game in many ways.

Civ IV was easily the series' high point to date.

18. dexters

Civ5 introduced 1UPT, and hexes.
    Civ4 built on Civ3's ideas.
    Civ6 will be building on Civ5's work

Not really comperable. I understand that for some Civ4 is their favorite. Civ3 was mine for a long time. But you gotta let it go.

Civ6 is based on Civ5 mechanics. It will likely be a better product because of it as it will not be a stripped down game, it will carry over many things from the 2nd expansion of Civ5.

Besides Civ4 didn't get really good until BTS and the mod scene kicked in. It's great that it's there, and glad you're still enjoying it. But for me personally, it's very hard to go back to Civ4. Game feels archaic and the AI is the same no matter what Civ I play against.

19. rastak

rastak Emperor

Yea, getting in the last few games before the new version. Number of players has been amazingly stable over the years. It's a great game. Ed Beach was a solid game designer before he ever got involved in Civ. I am damn glad Firaxis had the good sense to bring him on board. Never played Here We Stand but didn't have anyone who'd have the time.

Civ VI sounds like a big reboot.....can't wait to see how it goes.

20. dexters

I don't thin VI is a reboot at all. It's the Civ4 of the hexes/1upt era.

Civ7 will be the reboot if we follow the odd numbered tradition of introducing big new ideas.