1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization forever dead?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by jjkrause84, May 12, 2016.

1. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

I will eagerly be awaiting Civ 7 then. Until then, I will continue listening to Baba Yetu.

2. rastak

rastak Emperor

See ya on the Civ 7 forums! I think I'll throw that tune on now actually, that is the best Civ theme of all time I will admit.

3. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

Best video game theme of all time. http://www.grammy.com/news/and-the-grammy-went-to-christopher-tin

I heard that Kate Upton and Arnold Schwarzenegger were teaming up to record Civ VI's theme song. You have to wait 20 minutes to listen to it again unless you want to pay of course.

Spoiler :

4. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

Unless the art style of Civ 6 gets a MAJOR update before release, or a really good Blue Marble-style mod, Civ 6 will indeed be dead to me.

As far as I'm concerned, no 4X game will ever surpass Civ 4: RFC and it's various spinoffs/modmods in terms of strategic complexity and enjoyability

Link to video.

5. isau

isau Deity

IMO you're making too much of this and missing out on a great game because of it.

Firstly, King difficulty plays completely differently from higher difficulties in Civ 5. In King you can still grab the Great Library a lot of the time. You won't see the GL in other player's queue because as difficulty increases it becomes much too difficult to grab.

Beyond that, what you're not seeing at King difficulty is that going an entire game of Civ 5 without any wars falls on you and your strategy. At higher difficulties, if something like that happens, you need to get in the middle of it and bribe people to backstab each other, to stop their forward progress. If you don't, they will sit back and wondermonger. Your job is to instigate worldwide drama. A player who just sits back and lets world peace develop everywhere is shooting him/herself in the foot a lot of the time. You need to stop other player's forward roll and the best way to do that is to disrupt their Science pacts and make them spend money and hammers on units instead of wonders.

The only thing I will give you is Civ 5 favors going tall too much over going wide. This however is easily fixable with a small mod, and unlike Civ 4, in 5 you can stack a dozen mods next to each other and as long as they modify different resources they all work. There are a couple of dozen mods that tweak policy trees if it bothers you. Grab one of the ones that gives a bigger edge to wide/aggressive empires (the way it was in the Gods and Kings expansion pack before they made things more mellow for BNW). Those AIs will roll you.

6. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Jokes on him. At this rate Civ7 won't be out until 2022, and it could still be 1upt with Hexes. Lol.

7. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

8. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

How is the joke on him? I'm also sticking with IV. I'd wish there'd be a new Civilization game that I'd like, but that's not the case, and so be it. I have IV, I don't really need something more - although the mods I use (and develop) are the 'more', I suppose, for Dawn of Civilization and PIE's Ancient Europe, to name two random examples, are both very different.

9. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I won't say Civ is "dead" but after the mess that Civ BE was, I definitely won't be pre-ordering.

I know it's not the same team but it's enough to make me have reservations about quality control at Firaxis.

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

"If you hate it, move on" isn't good enough. Look, maybe it is because of the peculiarities of my own individual life but Civ was hugely important to my development and my career. Simply put: I would not be a historian today if Civ had not come along when it did. To see a franchise that I love so much and that had such a profound impact on my life drift into casual gaming purgatory is deeply depressing.

I had hoped that I could keep playing new Civs forever....each new one building on the last and getting better and better. While plenty of people like Civ 5 (and that's fine), for me the series has only gone downhill after BTS. It's a bummer, man....it really is.

11. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

Did you read my entire post? I generally played at Emperor and found exactly the same thing. More tedium and lack of purpose. OK, I haven't tried Deity, but there just didn't seem any point.

Secondly "use a mod" is a total cop-out, in my opinion. Maybe I'm showing my age, but as far as I'm concerned any game that needs mods to be playable is a broken game. I think modders forget what a tiny sub-set of the gaming population they are.

12. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

you know, this makes me think of something. Fireaxis is saying that they think the main issue with civ5 is that some strategies are clearly better than others and they want to address that in civ6.

but they absolutely don't need to make a whole new game to address that fact, all it would take is a balance patch. but why would they do that when they already have our money, and they know we're going to give them more as soon as they announce a new game? they don't even need to show gameplay, just a couple screenshots and sweet promises :lol:

they've had years to balance the game and all they could do was change the meta from ICS to Tall. this doesn't exactly fill me with hope when it comes to their future products, especially after Beyond Earth.

13. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Im pretty sure this will be the best version of Civilization:)

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes and civ has always been about wide empires. If this game makes it so you can't play wide, then I think I'll save my money.

15. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

That is your personal opinion.

You know as little as the rest of us, so any assessment of this game is completely impossible at this point.

At this point it is hard to see Civ VI becoming anything more than digital board game. Like playing checkers on your computer.

Moderator Action: And the last sentence is your opinion. Please do not troll by making these posts personal. Stick to the subject, not the other poster.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

16. noto2

noto2 Emperor

All I know is this - I've been coming to CivFanatics since Civ3. As I got better at Civ3 I started using mods. I think I used one called "missing links", and it was fantastic.

Then Civ4 came out. I reasoned my comp couldn't run it. Everyone on this forum went ape**** about how crappy 4 was when it was released. I smugly continued to play 3 and comforted myself in thinking that 4 was a big disaster, as people were complaining right here on this website.

Then one day I got a better computer, and decided to try out Civ4. By that point, BTS had just come out. I played it and I LOVED it. I played thousands of hours in Civ4 and started modding it. I used Kmod. Loved it.

Then Civ5 came out. I was worried my comp couldn't handle it. I wasn't too excited about 1UPT and thought it was probably going to be a bad move for the series. Predictably, this website blew up with people saying 5 was utter garbage. I went back to playing Civ4 Kmod and was happy.

Then one day I decided to give 5 a try, by that time BNW had come out. I played it and LOVED it. I had a few gripes, but those were easily solved by mods. I know love playing 5 with Acken's balance mod.

I'm sure when 6 comes out the exact same pattern will happen. It will be buggy and imbalanced on release and so I will ignore it. I'll start playing it a year or so after release and by that time it will be a polished game and there will be more mods out. So I'll continue playing 5 until then.

17. tat501

tat501 Warlord

You gotta get in on a good series whilst it's still in it's infancy. Once it becomes popular it always becomes (in the eyes of those who played it at the beginning) a victim of it's own success as developers see it as a cash cow to be milked. All the global marketing strategy and business optimisation methods click in then - which means widening the appeal of games. This obviously requires "streamlining" (or dumbing down if you prefer) and some radical changes to the art theme as you try and make it portable to console and tablets etc - this again tapping further revenue streams.

None of this necessarily makes it a bad game - and it will be incredibly popular. The money men are usually right about the changes they make. But the shock of it happening to a series you love, and in some ways feel a sense of ownership over (it's like being part of an élite club when it's not particularly popular), usually means the community splits about down the middle with it (this is a result of human psychology. Some acknowledge that for them its dead and thus become "haters", others can't let it go and so lie to themselves until they pretend to themselves it's still great and this are "fan boys" - if they're honest though they'll feel some of the magic is gone). This happens at different points for each individual. For many on here it was civ v. For some it will be this. For others I imagine it will be civ 7.

Circle of life...

Moderator Action: Please do not use "haters" or fanboys" in your posts. They are considered to be trolling on this forum.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Post started in the suggestion forum and could end up here as well (not really a suggestion post) :

19. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

IMO, Those misunderstanding and non-evolution is why they call the next game Civilization VI and not entirely new series like "Humanity I" or something. Civilization, as a series, retain several aspect of the game since Civ 1 and change the rest. At least they take the precedent of district, and city-state is a welcomed change by some.

It might not evolve fast enough for your liking or in the direction you prefer. But it is evolving. Whether it will turn up to be good is a matter of speculation at this point.

20. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

I agree that this usually happens to popular game series, but there was really no need with Civilization. The games always hit No.1 in the charts, they already had mass appeal so no need for dumbing down. But I think Civ 5 hurt the brand, it certainly did with me I won't be pre-ordering Civ 6.