1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization IV Beyond The Sword Educational?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Smartbluma, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I would say It certainly got me more interested in history, wars in general. I wouldn't say its worthy of a degree, but it certainly builds interest and understanding. I would say that it can build a degree of sophistication when it comes to understanding how other countries act, why wars are fought, ect. Although nothing is guarenteed as the absolute truth. You just have to take it at face value. I am very glad that I started playing Civ.

reading about international news is actually quite entertaining to me now.

2. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Probably more edutainment than educational, but Civ4:BTS >>> CivRev in that department.

3. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

it is educational in that it forces you to find out who half of these civilizations/leaders actually were.

4. Skallagrimson

Skallagrimson Deity

It teaches all the wrong things about history.

5. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Like it can make people think, "Why didn't the Allies force the Axis into Capitulation?"

6. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

I remember the quote:

And the statue said "I am Ozymandias, king of kings...."

I went to see the Watchmen, and when I heard the guy's name was Ozymandias, thought "hey, that's from Civ!" And much to my surprise they had a statue with the plaque!

That's education for ya