1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization IV your favourite game ever?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ita Bear, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Berul

Berul Chieftain

It's really hard for me to rank a game as my favorite one. Still, Civ IV is, without a doubt, one of my favorite games, even if I try to restrict the list as much as I can.

I really love Civ IV (with BtS+BAT) and consider it to be perfect, for its genre.
    Other "near perfection" games, imo, would be Baldur's Gate, Kotor, Wizardry 8, XCOM2 (with the Long War 2 mod, otherwise the game suffers from some serious flaws), Nethack (!) and (more recently) Pathfinder:Kingmaker.

2. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Ah yes, this genre I forgot. I used to play Nethack some 20 years ago, then ADOM which I liked even more. For me, these games were better with ASCII "graphics".

3. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

Civilization IV is my favourite game, that' s for sure, it' s the community and the great difficulty of CIV 4, so the complexity of the game that still makes it the best game for me at this time. Hall of Fame and GOTM offer long-time commitment.

2nd Place goes to Dark Age of Camelot with it' s awesome Master-Levels and Player vs. Player.

3rd Place goes to RIFT for the best Player versus Machine combat.

Loved Quake 4 but the Multiplayer of Quake 4 couldn' t catch me.

Pangaea likes this.
  4. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Prince

It's the best of this franchise and definitely the best strategy game I've ever played (and hardly play any, to be honest). But for me it still easily gets trounced by the likes of Left 4 Dead, Starcraft: Brood War, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, some of the (now) older JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, FF5 or Secret of Mana or some of the greatest PSX era stuff like RE2 or Metal Gear Solid. Those games are timeless to me in a way that I can always get sucked right back into them just like when it was new to me, even if I put them by the wayside for a while until I come back around to them. One summer in college I spent like all my free time at night after work playing old PSX stuff on emulator and burned through about 10-12 of them including the fantastic Silent Hill, which is a lot more atmospheric in a dark room with headphones and only the monitor to look at :)

Civ 4 is definitely great and is so complex that I'm always learning more and more about it. It's the kind of game I can play all day but that's kind of because you have to, in a way...at least if you actually want to play a game through, otherwise it becomes like an episodic, installment based experience. It's very involved for a game in terms of mental load.

jmas likes this.
  5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Best of the franchise... not quite. SMAC is the best. CIV4 is the second after that. But only because SMAC has a brilliant plot and setting. In terms of mechanics CIV4 beats it.

6. Pepo

Pepo Prince

Yes, without a doubt. There are other games that are also really good (Victoria 2, Fallout NV, KSP, War Thunder) but Civ IV, with mods, is the one that gives more enjoyment even after 10 years of playing

7. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

Diablo 2 was a great Game.

8. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

Civ 4 was my favourite game and I never thought I'd be able to replace it with anything - since civ 5 was such a disappointment (Civ 6 is even worse). BUT, civ 5 with Vox populi is another deal completely and since I found out about this mod - it has kept me entertained for 4 years and will continue to do so for many years to come.

9. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

I think I would agree with both of those! I've certainly racked up more hours on those two over the last 20 years than any other games. AoEII Definitive Edition is getting all my playing time at the moment.

10. SittinDown

SittinDown King Supporter

My favorites in strategy are:
    • Civ 4
    • Civ 1 - classic. I played this so much in the 90's.
    • Master of Orion - it's simple but the ship building and the way it does tech is really fun.
    • Master of Magic - it's kind of broken, but I love it anyway.
    Of those I only play Civ4 still, though I own a bunch of other ones.

I also like a lot of modern 2d games like:
    • Starbound
    • Stardew Valley
    • Hades
    I never got that into 3d games. I have a few but they don't do it for me. I do like the occasional racing game too, like Need for Speed or something.

I like to watch competition streams of AoE 2 but I never played it. Looks fun, but I'm a terrible multi-tasker, and I am really bad at RTS's, and don't care to spend the time to develop the skill.

11. Civ Vicious

Civ Vicious Chieftain

Hm. Right now It's between Skyrim and Civilization IV.

Both games I can keep coming back to. I think CIV IV will win out in the end though.

12. crashmon

crashmon Warlord

being in my late 40's best computer game ever has me going back to the days of the commodore 64, zx Spectrum and BBC B (the days of Joysticks).... So I have some nostalgia in some games..

Most of these was probably around before people on this forum where born.
    • Ghosts n Goblins on the Commodore 64, I spent hours and hours on that game
    • Original Elite on the BBC B
    • The Senital on the Commodore 64
    • Also loved Repton on the BBC B
    • The original Leaderboard, the game that started all Golf Sims
    In terms of games from 2000+
    • SMAC and Civ 2 I have a great love for (I might even rate Civ 2 over Civ 4 tbh, I also loved the fantasy scenario in Tests of Time with the 4 maps)
    • I do dabble in WOW and SWTOR
    • I also played the original Pirates, which I found fun I keep deciding if I want to try Elite Dangerous, but have no time... Right now I split my game time (which is not much atm, between Civ 4 and Wow).

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    Civ Vicious likes this.
  13. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor

Top 5 games for me:
    1. TF2
    2. Minecraft
    3. Civ IV
    4. FTL: Faster Than Light
    5. Celeste

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I've heard from some friends that this game was brutally difficult. How would it compare to something like Hollow Knight, if you have played it? I found that game to be very difficult due to the extremely narrow timings.

I've never played Minecraft, but over the last month or so I've been playing Terraria, which has a fair bit in common with both Minecraft and some other 2D "builder" games, though Terraria also has a lot of combat. Been a lot of fun, though I wouldn't necessarily put it on a top 5 list yet. Hard to really narrow down lists to only 5 anyway, and the list will change frequently.

15. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Minecraft is odd. It's one of the games I don't particularly enjoy more than any other but keep coming back to because of its simplicity and transient fun.

16. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Chieftain

Those were the days my friend - we thought they never end.....

No, I havn't been playing on a Commodore but I have been using a "puter" with floppy-disks and a 12" B/W IBM monitor. I think it was mostly Risk and Perfect General 2 I played.....

Later a modem was added..... I think it was 56K - but maybe slower..... can't remember for sure. Anyway, my interest for games online started when I played AoE online on Microsofts "Zone" - remember how that was?? All the others cheated. Of course I didn't(!), then I would have won many more games - but again, it's so long time ago, I can't remember for sure.