1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Civilization V the worst game of the series?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Caeserportugal, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Hello ya all been away for quite a while but with Civ 5 being the biggest disappointement ever I took some time off of the forums but I am now back and want to share some thoughts and know why you all think Civ 5 was a great failure.

For me the main reason was the overhype CIV 5 got that made everyone not like it. We were promised CIV 5 but instead we recieved CIV REV2. This was a slap in the face of the old fans the fact they simplified the game so much it´s not enjoyable.

So I wanna hear youre thoughts?

2. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

It's by far the worst game of the series, and each patch which the numerous attempts to tweak it here and there and change this or that only proves it.

3. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

There is no way to make everyone happy all the time, that is just how it is. So half the people are going to love it, and half the people are going to hate it.

With that said, I think the 50% who hate it are going to be the die-hard Civers and the 50% who like it will be mainly newcomers.

My personal thoughts on it are that they just simply dumbed the game down, likely to accomodate the zero-attention span youth of today's society. I think the biggest, simplest example of this is that everything is 'empire' related rather than 'city' related. So you have to maintain an complete 'empire' not a bunch of single 'cities'. Therein is the biggest change of all in my opinion and where they 'streamlined' the game far too much for old-school civers.

It's all about the benjamins, and there isn't a lot of benjamins in the old-style of civ. For god's sake they have a freaking sheepbook game now.

4. Xenobenignitas

Xenobenignitas Chieftain

In terms of evolution and development from the earlier games, yes I'd say its the worst, but by no stretch is it an awful game overall

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Go back and play Civ1 today. It was a great game for its time, but it really doesn't hold up strategy-wise.

6. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Totally agree with you on the patch situation I think Firaxis should just realise this and prepare to re-launch the series with CIV 6 with Sid Meier at head. Not to say Shaffer did a bad work or was totally it´s fault but I guess CIV V was overhyped and turned out faling to live up to its hype.

Heck if they wanted to make a game targeted for newcomers they could have just gone with CIV REV2. I sware if CIV5 was instead marketed as CIVREV2 there wouldn´t be half the complains there have been about it.

Yes the fact that CIV5 was the successor to CIV4 probably did bad for it. Even comparing to CIV 3 and 2 it is clearly inferior except on the graphics.

Never had the chance to play the original but form what I heard it was a great game for it's time.

7. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Of course.

8. Clammo

Clammo Warlord

I never played Civ1 so can't comment on that. However of the others, all of which I played, then yes, by quite some margin it's the worst. There's absolutely no fun to be found in empire building - which to my mind and style of play is the whole purpose of the game. It feels like every element of building and growing an empire, and diplomatic relations, is accompanied by a kick in the nuts, and that all the design focus went on war. And even then they still managed to ruin that as the AI can't deal with 1UPT.

Right now I feel it's irretrievable via patches, and even expansions have a limited chance of fixing the problems - all of which have been dissected and discussed in depth on the forums numerous times. And the problem, for me personally, is that I don't feel like spending money on expansions for a game that failed so badly to be in any way enjoyable, and was probably one of the buggiest games I've played in around 30 years gaming.

9. -FC-Commando

-FC-Commando Warlord

Without any hesitation and doubt, it is the worst game of the series.

10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

How are you, party (for the freshly added patch news) breakers?:mad::mad::mad:
    This should be moved directly to the usual Rants thread, it simply deserves immediate attention by CFC_Moderators.

11. mekane

mekane Chieftain

As more of a casual gamer in this series, it is my favorite one so far. i agree though, it does seem simpler. really looking forward to this next patch.

12. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Seriously I was just expressing my opinion if you don't agree with it that's fine however you don't need to be mad at it just because you like the game doesn't mean you can tell the others to not give there opinons

13. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Best Vanilla version of the game so far. By the time the expansions and patching are done it will be the best of all of them (even beloved BTS).

14. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

"Worst" in the series is subjective, but it's certainly my least favorite so far. I might be able to conjure some fun out of it after the February patch, though. I haven't given up hope entirely - this may not be the new be-all, end-all of Civilization games, but it can definitely serve a purpose.

I have a couple friends who have never been 4X fans, and whose only exposure to the Civilization series was via Civ Rev. So imagine their delight at Civ5! "It's like Civ Rev but more realistic!" they cried excitedly. "There's so much more to do now!" Of course, me being the old crotchety vet, I cringe inwardly when I hear that, but hey - can you blame them? This is exciting and fun for them. Who knows, maybe after a few years they'll get bored and graduate to Civ 4 BTS. ;)

15. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Interesting to see there are some people who licked CIV5 although sorry but I can't agree with you I think CIV5 is light-years away from CIV4 and the expansions won't work. Also honestly how can you say that an extremely bugged Vanilla CIV5 is the best in the series. Sorry but I can't see it.

16. callahan9119

callahan9119 Chieftain

There are enough of these threads, you're not offering some fresh perspective or anything...post in an already existing thread. Every disappointed person or malcontent feels the need to tell everyone how he feels in a new thread. Plenty of people like the game, but they don't go making a new thread every time the thought pops into their head.

It's obnoxious and a crappy trend in about every game forum these days...

17. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

Sorry if I offended you callahan my bad but really I haven't posted on these forums in a while so I was´nt on par with the threads

18. callahan9119

callahan9119 Chieftain

You don't offend me. It's not that hard to look on the first page and find a negative thread, you didn't bother to look. It's a trend where people love to start new threads so everyone can learn how they feel something is so terrible. I've played the Total War series for a decade but don't even go on the forums anymore because of all the whiners.

I like the game, if you don't that's your business but there doesn't need to be a choking of the forums with a million redundant threads. Look at your sig, you clearly have an agenda.

19. spider1

spider1 Prince

Worst? No, my worst experience with Civ was the version (I forget which one) where you have to have a bunch of workers running around cleaning up pollution all the darn time.

I think it's easy to see that IV BTS is a much more "complete" game than V. But for me at least, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the heck out of V, which I do.

20. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

FWIW, I'd encourage everyone here to either discuss the topic at hand or avoid the thread altogether. It's not violating any forum rules, and you're not required to read or participate if you find it upsetting. At the very least, you'll want to avoid discussing other CFC members or their posting styles - that is against the rules.

I can understand that it's hard for some Civ fans to understand why so many of us feel let down and disappointed in Civ 5. Believe me, it's hard to BE let down and disappointed by a Civ game, when you spent half your teenage years and your entire adulthood at a Civilization fan.

Whether you like Civ 5 or not, we have more in common with each other than we likely realize. We're all on the same team here. We're all Civilization fans, and we all want the Civilization series to be the best games they can possibly be.

(Oh wait, I'm supposed to yell and throw tantrums about haters and fanboys, aren't I?? Crap, I'm doin it wrong k.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.