Is classical music dead? (For once i will avoid talking about politics.)

Cactus_Jack

Lefty Nutter
The only people i know who like are people are got into it, and that is about one. Almost everyone i know sneers at Beethoven Mozart etc as boring. I dunno i am just wondering how many people here listen to it? and i dont mean the stuff packaged like pop music. For example Beethovsn 5th symphony famous opening means more when you listen to the other 3 movements. I know someone who laughed at the 4th movement of Beethovens 9th symphony and asked me if that was chrisman music. Also i hate how they use classical music in adverts that is like using a famous painting to whipe your ass. Any www.naxos.com is a site where you can get free classical music.

I seem to remember hearing that Classic FM listening figures are doing very well in the UK. (Not that I listen to the it)

For all intents and purposes, Yes.

I know virtually nothing about it as far as names and dates and things like that, but I love it. I like it more and more as I get older and my brain gets a little more complex. If the people youre asking are kids, that would explain why so few are into it.

Classical music dead? I doubt that. The fact that you know no people who listen to it doesn't mean they don't exist. Personally I think that people like classical music more and more when they're getting older, generally speaking.

Maybe its not as popular is it was a couple of decades ago, but calling it dead is an exaggeration.:)

I don't listen much to it myself, but I think that e.g. in some movies classical music is good for the feeling in some scenes.

I still listen to it.
And there is new whole trends of music consisting of mixing classical music with modern instruments.

Classic isn't dead :)

I guess manypeople hate the idea of classical music - that you have to have an orchestra to play it and go to expensive concert venues to hear it - and somehow it all seems to be old fogeys musics, doesnt it?

But.

If you listen and listen well you'll find that maybe there is some great stuff around. Tunes that you end up humming all day. Power music that can equal anything heavy metal can produce.

I'm not much into Beethoven and Mozart is a bit too light for me but I love Rachmaninov, some Wagner, Copeland, Dvorak, Greig, Faure and many others.

A lot of modern musicians steal themes and licks from the classics! Give it a try. Listen to Classic FM.

no i dont feel it is dead

just think how successful the proms can be in the UK especially the last night leadsw me to beleieve it is not dead at all

Originally posted by col
I guess manypeople hate the idea of classical music - that you have to have an orchestra to play it and go to expensive concert venues to hear it - and somehow it all seems to be old fogeys musics, doesnt it?

But.

If you listen and listen well you'll find that maybe there is some great stuff around. Tunes that you end up humming all day. Power music that can equal anything heavy metal can produce.

I'm not much into Beethoven and Mozart is a bit too light for me but I love Rachmaninov, some Wagner, Copeland, Dvorak, Greig, Faure and many others.

A lot of modern musicians steal themes and licks from the classics! Give it a try. Listen to Classic FM.

Beethoven light? Perahaps mozart is but listen to the first movement of piano concerto no 20 if you think mozart is light not all of his stuff is? Also have you listened to Beethovens later works? They where so far ahead of his time people thought Beethoven was mad. If i know how to upload music on the web, i would upload one of his late piano sonatas or string quartets. In fact i will look a link up and see if i can find anything.

Originally posted by Suppersalmon
no i dont feel it is dead

just think how successful the proms can be in the UK especially the last night leadsw me to beleieve it is not dead at all

i went to the proms to see Beethovens 9th symphony. It will be 1000 years before a composer will make anything to compare to that.

I don't think it is dead because it is still being composed today - think of musical scores to big movies. If Mozart were alive today he would be in Hollywood winning Oscars for Best Original Score. I think people listen to Bach, Beethoven, etc... less today because the market is saturated with alternatives. Still, there are plenty of occasions to listen to classical music and it will not go away any time soon.

Originally posted by Pirate
I don't think it is dead because it is still being composed today - think of musical scores to big movies. If Mozart were alive today he would be in Hollywood winning Oscars for Best Original Score. I think people listen to Bach, Beethoven, etc... less today because the market is saturated with alternatives. Still, there are plenty of occasions to listen to classical music and it will not go away any time soon.

no the modern person with a short attention span will kill classical music off IMHO. Or make it something that is listened to by even less people. Also movie music is jut a poor mans rip off of classical music. Also if Mozartwas born in modern times even his talent wouldnt like compose stuff as good as the Classical era of of classical music, simply because the classical structure of music died out. If you listen to a lot of it you will know what i mean. If you compare modern classical music to the older pre romantic stuff a lot you would know what i mean.

No, I don't think classical music is dead and it won't die anytime soon either. I like classical music myself, although I don't listen that much to it (yet). But as people get older they tend to like classical music more and more. 5 years ago I also thought it was all boring, but know I already think quite differently about that. And I know lots of people, even teenagers, who like classical music. So I wouldn't worry to much about it Cactus Jack.

No, it is not dead, it is thriving. The latest listening figures for London show Classic FM now has more listeners than BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 5 Live, Kiss FM, Virgin FM and Magic 105.4FM.

Thank God!

The stuff that passes for music nowadays is braindead pap, 'pop stars' are just glorified karaoke acts, and there are very few people who can even imagine the ability to write music for multiple instruments playing live, in harmony, in perfect time. And we have people like Simon Cowell, who thinks re-releasing old records covered by new 'artists' (karaoke singers is what they are, lets be clear on that!) is a measure of his importance. Well, it is, but not in the way that he imagines. He isn't fit to pick gum off the heel of Mozart's shoe (or from inside Beethoven's ear trumpet, for that matter).

Pah! Rant over, I suppose.

Mozart is disgustingly overrated. I do find Beethoven to be what he is cracked up to be, though. Wagner will always be the master, although he is from the Romantic period.

Originally posted by Mescalhead
Mozart is disgustingly overrated. I do find Beethoven to be what he is cracked up to be, though. Wagner will always be the master, although he is from the Romantic period.

Wagner is not even in Beethovens league. You know Wagner didnt bother to compose a symphony cuase he considered that Beethovens 9th was a peak that coudnt be surpassed. Also Brahms a other composers was so intimidated by Beethovens legacy it took him 20 years to compose his first symphony. Not say Wanger is crap just that Beethoven is very good. Have you listend to mozarts later symphonys? His opreas Piano Concertos? I wouldt call him overated he is along with figgures like Bach Handel Haydn that can rival Beethoven as a composers. IMHO apart from schubert there wasnt a other great composers after Beethoven died.

Top Bottom