Is Donald Trump Done for?

Can the House not basically order the administration to make the report public?

I don't think they can. They already passed a resolution saying that it should be made public. Passed it unanimously, in fact. But it isn't binding. That was about the time D'ump started saying "I'd like to see the report made public. It's up to the Attorney General. We'll see what happens." I assumed from that that he got the message loud and clear that he has to say he wants it made public, but I also get that he is very likely just saying that and has no intentions about letting it happen.

Can the House not basically order the administration to make the report public?
I think that is an open question. I think Barr has lots of control over what he releases. He could redact big pieces and give them that. I'd like to see Mueller testify before the house. That they can do.

I think that is an open question. I think Barr has lots of control over what he releases. He could redact big pieces and give them that. I'd like to see Mueller testify before the house. That they can do.

From a legal standpoint, Mueller's report is supposed to give the AG information regarding prospective prosecutions. He would be totally within the law to say "There was nothing in the report which inclines me to pursue any action at this time" and wash his hands of the entire thing...and I expect that agreeing to do that was critical to his appointment.

They couldn't subpoena it as evidence in some sort of investigation into the Trump administration?

I don't think so. The legislative branch, in theory, uses their own investigators and is not expected to piggyback on the executive branch's investigations when it comes to oversight of the executive branch.

Then they should just subpoena everyone involved in the investigation probably ending with Mueller.

Then they should just subpoena everyone involved in the investigation probably ending with Mueller.

I'd start with Mueller, then call whoever was necessary for corroboration. But getting the conclusion out, right up front, prevents the repetition of a two year process.

I'd start with Mueller, then call whoever was necessary for corroboration. But getting the conclusion out, right up front, prevents the repetition of a two year process.

True, but if they call Mueller right before the election...

I'm betting the report will make Trump look even more shady, (if that's possible) but with no smoking gun so Trump will twist it into TOTALLY INNOCENT.
*COMPLETELY, TOTALLY INNOCENT
Yes, by definition

smoking gun

|

noun
indisputable proof or evidence of a crime.
:lol: which means that all it takes to contradict the definition is for someone to dispute it. Since Trump will certainly dispute it no matter how obvious it is, there will definitely be no smoking gun according to your standard.
You're confusing indisputable and undisputed, man.

How so? Some of the older generations are so far removed from reality it's disturbing, America would literally be better off without them
Have no fear, we are dying as fast as we can.

How so? Some of the older generations are so far removed from reality it's disturbing, America would literally be better off without them

If that's an appropriate conclusion, some of our younger generation has been making it crystal that our elders are not alone in that regard.

But... <yawn>. Youth are stupid and violent. Old people are stupid and better off dead. How... utterly... trite.

If that's an appropriate conclusion, some of our younger generation has been making it crystal that our elders are not alone in that regard.

But... <yawn>. Youth are stupid and violent. Old people are stupid and better off dead. How... utterly... trite.

I think "better off dead" is an inaccurate representation of what was said. "Better off with them dead" was what was actually said.

Yeap. Every extra inch of stupid available.

I like it better too, but, ya know, paraphrasing.

General loss of faith in all governing institutions and virtually all cultural authorities since Nixon and especially since the Great Financial Crisis.

I think the Iraq war holds the largest slice of the responsibility pie on this front. And thanks to Twitter, people that were too young at the time to be directly lied to are able to experience it like it's brand new every time Ari Fleischer decides to tweet about it.

So now we wait for SDNY... wrt releasing the report, I dont know if thats kosher if there are no further indictments. They're not supposed to publicize information just for the sake of releasing it. If the Feds investigated regular folk and pressed no charges, why would they get to tell everyone what they found? I suppose Mueller would have written the report with that in mind and only 'relevant' information will make its way into his findings. Giving it to Congress just so it could be leaked is messed up too.

On the other hand, I want to know!

I think the Iraq war holds the largest slice of the responsibility pie on this front. And thanks to Twitter, people that were too young at the time to be directly lied to are able to experience it like it's brand new every time Ari Fleischer decides to tweet about it.

Vietnam... Course Nixon didn't lie us into that war but he was in charge when the Pentagon Papers were released.

My first thought: since this is coming without indictments for Don Jr and Jared, that means Mueller doesn't have enough to make their participation in the Trump Tower meeting criminal, and therefore there won't be a sufficiently smocking gun to pin conspiracy on Trump.

Just trying to read such tea leaves as we have.

Top Bottom