1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Donald Trump Done for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Archbob, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Well, whaddya do. Price supports pay when you have product to sell.

2,000 calories per day per person per how many domestic millions increased by meat increased by exports. That the government is corrupt under Democratic and Republican administrations is no news to the hick who is stupid enough to have principles and think that people are generally accountable. If anything, the USDA, considering it's budget and import, is either staffed by individuals far better than the norm or they're getting away with murder. I'm going to guess it is a surprising amount of the former, and some relatively predictable amount of the latter. It's still at least as important as the military. News at 11, omg dem hicks. Careful who you get your info from. World is full of useless lying pieces of <feces>.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Well knowing you has made me start actually checking the labels/tags/signs to find out where the food/produce was grown/made/packaged (I was already doing that with cars). If I can get "local" I do... if not local but US, then fine, I go with that... regardless of cost... I'm fortunate to be able to make a choice like that... might as well use it... gotta squeeze that camel through the needle afterall... or at least die trying... which I will inevitably do.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Look at that, somehow it's more expensive to buy something grown locally than it is to ship it by plane. :crazyeye:

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Its been this way for a long long time, large farms have been split into multiple corporate entities to collect additional subsidies and bailouts. This is probably not a surprise to farmers, whom are also beneficiaries.
    /shrugs It might take a few more years for your fellow farmers to realize that Trump is a moron, the trade war is here to stay.

6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Competing with scale cost efficiency is an odd duck. If I buy chicks piecemeal at retail they're $1-2. If I buy a broasted chicken hot at the Walmart checkout it's ~$5. Eggs have a bigger discrepancy. Average size of a grain operation around these parts is somewhere around 1,200 to 1,400 acres anymore. If you can find the guys still hoofing it with truck crops at your farmer's markets and road stands(best food I get all year, really) and stocked seasonally on shops, hey man, very cool if you can afford it(lord knows it's not always cheap(sometimes sorta is at the stands, it's erratic)). I know a couple people who do CSAs and whatnot(not really well), one of them is sort of playing at it hobbywise and the other is the literally dragged out of the past sewing her daughters' dresses out of seed bags sort of competent. I don't even know where to begin on policy when it comes to the size of things. I know families plant gardens and maintain flower beds. The 7 thousand acre guys have commercially treated/mowed facilities. I get the general feeling people would be hella allergic to putting the cost of labor/environmental use back into food. I think a $3 box of corn flakes is about 6 cents in corn. Corn is basically the staple US calorie though, I think more generally the food in a dollar of food product is generally something like ~20 cents.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I wonder if there's more calories in HFCS or in all other corn products for human consumption

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Good question. I'm getting bored and it's not generally compared that way. People do like sugar. Might, or might not, depend. Are you counting it as a significant input in animal calories consumed?

9. Birdjaguar

Trump Appeal Now Goes To Court Headed By Merrick Garland

:lol:

Sommerswerd and Berzerker like this.
  10. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

there will be howls demanding recusal

11. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

This is the reason why I cannot take most of the talk about protecting the environment seriously. I see all the time people who pretend they care but are not willing to pay the cost.

El_Machinae likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

No reason to. Trump was not involved in that mess. It was just Mitch M.

13. FriendlyFire

Isnt it 10:1 or 15:1 for each kilo of plant protein to produce animal protein ?
    And Americans do consume a lot of meat

Well the Steel and Aluminum tariffs on Canada / Mexico have been lifted in exchange for the retaliatory tariffs being lifted.
    Some good news for US agriculture, but looks like the Steel and Aluminum industries are about to shed all the jobs they added.

14. Birdjaguar

Except in KY. Lots of Russian money at work.

15. FriendlyFire

An American bank that is willing to loan the Trumps money ?
    Well looks like the money was used to buy $18.5 Mil property which is now vacant and losing money at half a mil in interest payments per year. I sure hope the bank is holding the property as collateral.

16. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

What type of land is the Everglades again? What is the name of the type of ecosystem? :crazyeye:

17. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

sounds delicious:yumyum:... is that:
    1. Some new cooking method I've never heard of;
    2. A combination of the words "baked" or "broiled" and "roasted"; or
    3. A typo? :mischief:

I'm hoping its #1:)

18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Sommerswerd likes this.
  19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

So sayeth Wikipedia:

Broasting is a method of cooking chicken and other foods using a pressure fryer using techniques invented by L. A. M. Phelan and marketed by the Broaster Company. The method essentially combines pressure cooking with deep frying to pressure fry chicken that has been marinated and breaded. Other modern fast-food chains also deep fry chicken under pressure, but use different recipes or equipment from one of several alternative suppliers (e.g., Henny Penny). Internationally, broasted chicken remains highly popular in Middle Eastern and South Asian countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, as well as in Latin American countries such as Colombia and Peru. Many restaurants and fast-food chains in these countries also have the word "broast" in their names.

Sommerswerd, hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  20. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I remember broasted chicken from when I was a kid. It's just fried chicken that has a very crispy crust. Since it involves special equipment, there was likely a fad that died out due to the cost.

The remark was made today that Trump looks better now than he did four years ago when he announced. For a guy of his age and weight, he does look very active. Four years put grey hair on Obama and aged Bush a decade. Jimmy Carter looked almost as old at the end of his term as he does now.

J