Is Donald Trump Done for?

It occurs to me that holding an impeachment for public relations purposes may backfire upon its instigators.

It isn't public relations, it's politics. With the evidence leaking out in all directions there was no choice but to impeach him. If they hadn't they would have been the ones facing the tough questions. So, once that was settled the question becomes how to go about it. The hacks in the senate are not going to find him guilty no matter what, and everyone knows it, so how do you turn that to advantage? Because we know Trump and his allies are going to be claiming "total exoneration" when the senate dismisses the charges.

The key is in the only real requirement that the senate is confronted with, which is that they have to take it up and they cannot let anything get in the way; six days a week, full senate, until they reach a conclusion. They do not have to even hear any testimony. They could vote to dismiss on day one, if they are willing to look that bad. So hand it to them the day before the Christmas recess is scheduled and go home. McConnell can truncate the process down to where it is a totally obvious sham and that will be that.

It occurs to me that holding an impeachment for public relations purposes may backfire upon its instigators.

Well I stand by we are doing it because for the sake of the rule of law it should be done.

@Birdjaguar

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

Has this story been debunked? I think we'd know if officials made public comments, we already know how Manafort was brought down.
From your link:

The Ukrainian antipathy for Trump’s team — and alignment with Clinton’s — can be traced back to late 2013. That’s when the country’s president, Viktor Yanukovych, whom Manafort had been advising, abruptly backed out of a European Union pact linked to anti-corruption reforms. Instead, Yanukovych entered into a multibillion-dollar bailout agreement with Russia, sparking protests across Ukraine and prompting Yanukovych to flee the country to Russia under Putin’s protection.

In the ensuing crisis, Russian troops moved into the Ukrainian territory of Crimea, and Manafort dropped off the radar.

Well I stand by we are doing it because for the sake of the rule of law it should be done.

Trump's approval rating and numbers have gone up in key states. Impeachment on Clinton backfired on GoP.

If they dump Trump 2020 they can really go after anyone who broke the law. Without presidential pardons and presidental pulpit to preach from you would expect the rats to start running.

It's also sucking up a huge amount of media time. Eventually the Democratic nominee will need airtime.

Defeating Trump should be the focus. Theoretically impeachment is a good idea in the real world though it can backfire.

"Impeaching Clinton for having sex backfired, so we really need to just let Trump slide if he murders someone in the oval office."

Get him out of the oval office and you can lock him up.

Removing him requires impeachment plus Senate support.

Since Senate support would not be coming it's very high risk. Choose your fights.

Here's what's going to happen. Impeachment will drown out everything else, Senate won't care, Trump campaigns on being vindicated.

I think Trump is going to get rekt regardless so there's that.

That would be the plan, but let's face facts the GOP controlled senate isn't going to let it happen. So the impeachment play has to be run as part of the 2020 campaign strategy.

Yeah I'm not convinced it's the best play.

RBG has been in hospital again and Trump's numbers have gone up in Wisconsin. He was slightly behind now he's slightly ahead.

Chose your hill to die on.

Trump's numbers have gone up in Wisconsin. He was slightly behind now he's slightly ahead.

It's a long road. The pounding is just getting started.

By the way, Marquette isn't exactly at the top of the polling heap either.

Yeah I'm not convinced it's the best play.

RBG has been in hospital again and Trump's numbers have gone up in Wisconsin. He was slightly behind now he's slightly ahead.

Chose your hill to die on.

I'm good with the "rule of law" as a fundamental concept hill and rejection of cults of personality as a fundamental concept. Tyvm.

I'm good with the "rule of law" as a fundamental concept hill and rejection of cults of personality as a fundamental concept. Tyvm.

Problem being it can blow up in your face.

Let it slide vs reelecting Trump. Impeachment is high risk and Trump's not going anywhere so it's guranteed failure in that regard.

Well Pelosi has probably weighed up the pros and cons and she's smart.

Ultimately in the weighing of the pros and cons the "best play" isn't the issue. It was the only play. After the sweeping results of 2018 there was no way for the Democrats to abdicate the congressional oversight responsibility.

Problem being it can blow up in your face.

Let it slide vs reelecting Trump. Impeachment is high risk and Trump's not going anywhere so it's guranteed failure in that regard.

I'm good with that morally. My spirit means more to me than this fleeting political nightmare. If liberals get to cry again for another four years but actually stand up for the rule of law I'd take that trade. Even if they take Trump out unless they get the Senate too they won;t be able to do much.

@Birdjaguar

What does that quote have to do with Ukraine helping the Dems?
Read the first sentence. Then what follows tells you that Manafort and Trump were aligned with their enemy Russia.

The 30 Bil in emergency funds which Trump used to bailout Farmers is about to run out (next year)
With the expected recession also forcast to hit next year.
Republicans are about to reap the whirlwind

Farm bankruptcies jump to highest level since 2011 as Trump’s tariffs bite
Farmers filed 580 Chapter 12 bankruptcy filings between January and September, according to the American Farm Bureau Federation, the largest farm advocacy group in the country. That was a 24% increase from the previous year and the highest level since 2011, when there were 676 filings.
unprecedented amount of government aid has raised concerns about misuse of funds and drawn backlash from agricultural groups and bipartisan lawmakers. Roughly 40% of farm income is expected to come from government aid, according to Department of Agriculture data analyzed by the federation.
"Our farmers have been great. They never wavered," Trump said in a Cabinet meeting last week. "And I think, in many ways, the farmer maybe is going to be the biggest beneficiary of what we're doing — certainly one of them."

https://markets.businessinsider.com...ump-trade-war-tariffs-bite-2019-10-1028649836

Moderator Action: A dozen backbiting posts have been removed from this thread. Stop bickering in public and maybe you'll avoid censure in future.

So once again Trump is not done for. More wasted time, and hopefully the next phase won't prevent Bernie from campaigning so that he may be stuck in a procedure which obviously won't lead to Trump being removed.

In the meantime, as a consequence of the impeachment proceedings, Trump got a free pass on making US policy in the middle east even more catastrophic. But that is small fry - the main thing is to try and fail to remove him cause this will surely make his numbers fall.
One has to ask oneself: if Trump's numbers still haven't fallen, after being an international cretin for 3 years, whose fault is it exactly? Surely not the DNC's. I guess that leaves the public.

Top Bottom