1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Earth18 Unbalanced?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civman33, Oct 22, 2011.

1. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

The problem is, Cyrus already is a powerhouse with Arabia in the middle east. Cyrus is a REXer. He will surely get some of those floodplains, and likely vassal Alex, who is not very good at expanding.

2. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

This can help alleviate some of the problems caused by some civs having too much room.

3. Utenlok

Utenlok Warlord

i wondered if you use the reveal tile feature in the world builder and gave the AI's the general overview of their continents if they would do better. map knowledge is a huge advantage for the human player and maybe this could help counter it.

4. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Only slightly. The AI might do better on founding subsequent cities and finding huts, but several of them are going to shoot themselves in the foot anyway. Izzy will still settle in place and get blocked in. The AI's in Europe probably won't rush each other and will get boxed in early. Freddy, Qin and Monty will still settle one off the coast and HC is still going to settle south America with his first city off the coast. However, HC will benefit from a mountain pass being put in. If anybody is isolated with Monty in N America there's going to be one master pretty quickly.

China, India, Persia, Egypt and Russia will benefit, but they usually don't need the help.

5. strijder20

Actually, about that isolation part with Monty: it's not true. In a recent game on Monarch, I placed Louis XIV on the border of Canada and the US and he did decent ( he peace-vassaled Montezuma). Lincoln is just a stupid AI, I guess...

6. Shizuko3

Shizuko3 Chieftain

This is why I play Giant Earth Map.

7. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

And why I usually use a randomly generated map :p

8. strijder20

Giant Earth Map is unbalanced too ;)

9. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I don't think it is as unbalanced as earth 18civs is though. granted, the food on that map is rediculous at times, but IMO only some of the basic problems are there (crowded Europe etc).

I think its size makes up for a lot of the errors in 18civ.

10. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Even GEM has its abusable problems. With 2 MP on noble/marathon you can kill Yue with your starting warrior as China. This allows you to sit on the plenty of the best land in the game. My current GEM game as china where I did the above has me 100+ cuirassiers at 500AD. I think GEM is better than earth18 because Europe isn't so badly crowded and its enormous size is pretty cool. Also, at least as China, I lost TGW and have my northern frontier overwhelmingly troubled by barbs. Mongolia and Mali both got killed off by barbs.

11. Shizuko3

Shizuko3 Chieftain

I think its normal a game being unbalanced, realistic speaking, in MP users can create a temporary alliance to stop some overpowered civilization like you said with china.

btw where you guys play MP with GEM ? thanks

12. civvver

civvver Deity

It's not supposed to be balanced at all. But you know what? Random map scripts aren't balanced either. Just take a look at the end of the game, if mansa has gold nearby he will do well, other leaders strive with food, if you end up on some tundra filled island you will have a lot to overcome.

The imbalances on earth18 are maybe more pronounced than other maps because the gravy starts are so much greater than the bad ones.

Giant earth map is very imbalanced too, but there's less crappy starts, a couple average ones and a ton of really awesome ones, so you don't notice it as much. While on earth18 there's maybe 4 obviously overpowered starts, there's about a 15 on giant earth map.

13. ATC1983

ATC1983 Chieftain

Does anyone know how I can customise Earth18 the same way Ican customise a normal scenario? Ie choose leaders, set up teams etc? Or has a version with these options been put out before?

14. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I think you have to edit the worldbuilder file in notepad or something like that. I did it awhile ago, butit was a long time. I think I started a custom game with random civs and then edited both worldbuilder files so the one with the random civs ended up with the map information of the earth map.

15. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Try the link I posted in post 22.

16. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Wait... WHAT???

17. strijder20

We are talking in-game, right?
    In Earth 18 he usually founds either Hinduism or Buddhism and converts Asia to it.

18. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Izzy usually gets them in my games...

19. strijder20

Yes, and Saladin gets the other one.
    Izzy gets both of them? Never seen that happen before.

20. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I'm with you. I have never seen Izzy get both of the first two religions. I have seen her get several later ones as well, but never the first two.