Is Elizabeth a good JoaT leader?

stebbinsd

Chieftain
I've taken a liking to Becky, since I felt she was a good "jack of all trades" leader. She could easily fit into whatever victory type I decided I wanted to use. But any time I try to play on any difficulty above settler, I get my butt handed to me. Is it because I'm picking a bad character, or is it because I just suck?

Becky's traits seem like good jack-of-all-trades traits. Philosophical helps me with spamming great people (btw, do Great Generals also get their production doubled? I haven't figured that out yet), which, as I understand it, are essential to nearly any high-end gameplay.

And her financial trait (which is complimented nicely by her Stock Exchange) can help me, effectively, buy my way through the game. Spamming cottages & gem, silver, and gold mines to get maximum commerce, and then building culture for a culture victory, using universal sufferage in order to spam production for a Space Race victory, maintaining huge armies for a conquest victory, or getting huge amounts of spare change to gift to my neighbors for a diplomatic victory.

Her starting techs aren't that bad either. Fishing gives me immediate access to a food source, and mining means I can get a head start on my production.

The only real drawback I can see to using her is that ... well ... her Redcoat is kind of mediocre. The only problem is ... I tend to be six feet under in most games above Settler (and Settler is pretty pathetic; the game basically just LETS you win, at that difficulty) long before we even reach gunpowder. So her mediocre unique unit cannot possibly be the problem.

So, what's the problem? Becky, or me?

You are the problem. Post a game on Noble or Prince, post screenshots and ask for advice in this forum. You'll become a way better player in only little time, and the only thing that you need to pay attention to, is, that you can only play short turnsets, so maybe 20 turns and then ask for advice again. You can play a different game in between, to not get bored, but really try the way I talked of. Monarch is actually the first difficulty, where AI is able to do anything, all levels below that, as you already found out, the game just lets you win. You probably lack a lot of really basic stuff, so many players here can give you good advice. What's most important in CIV, is, to have a really good early game. I often see people post 1500 AD screenshots and asking for advice, but then the only thing one can tell them is, that they screwed up greatly in the 5500 years before that. If you are able to play the first 100 turns well, you'll win every game, as long as it's not on Deity.

Beating Immortal is actually possible if you're willing to make an effort for 1 month.

^^^Everything Cereal said

Pretty much throw everything you think and know out the window and start fresh

Do not ever play Settler again in your life, except if doing something with HOF. Do as suggested above and play someone like Toku or Washington on Prince while getting help.

The leader is very much the last of your concerns. You can win any level with any leader.

To answer the question in the topic of the thread btw.:

Elizabeth is below the 5 strongest leaders in CIV. PHI is the best trade together with IND, FIN comes directly after that unless you're a pro, then SPI can be even better and her UB and UU are formidable. Stock exchanges are seldomly needed, but in Spaceraces i. e. they're great, and having a Rifle-UU probably is the strongest option past Huayna's unique Warrior and Darius unique Chariot, because Rifles can be drafted, and drafting Rifles is a safe way to win under almost any circumstances.

In many games, like i. e. Spaceraces, Cultural victory through espionage and also in diplomatic victories, Lizzy even is the best pick, unless it's Marathon, then Huayna beats everybody.

Hth.

I agree on the difficulty, im on only my second game after a long break, and started on noble.

This is a great place to learn, put up a game and get people to give advice. I know the first time i ever played it was too few workers killed me.

Having said that, sometimes it can be rougher than expected- i decided to play a peaceful turtle game to relearn the tree, and in two turns went from at peace to everyone in the world suddenly DOW.....

Attachments

• ouch.jpg
    ouch.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 134
I agree with everything said. Better to pick a leader that isn't FIN or PHI and move up, then post a thread and wait for advice.

I'd also recommend you read some old threads by people who have received help. For example this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=544911

I'm sure a lot of the things mentioned in there apply to your game as well.

And for the record, redcoats are great. Start a game with Churchill, play slowly and follow the advice given, then I'm sure you can have redcoats stomping the world long before the AI shows anything stronger than longbows. If you haven't won already before you get them.

Becky? Liz, Lizzie, or Beth or Bess. Becky would be for Rebecca.

One of my favorite games is to play Ragnar on continents. I build no cities other than the capitol of course. Just build swordsman or axmen and barracks. If you dont start with iron, conquer a neighbor who does with your axes so you can build swords. Depending on what neighbors you get Ragnars aggressive swordsmen with the city raider promotion are just about unstoppable early. And later promote them to Berserkers and later Grenadiers. So you get city raider grenadier marines. In fast Viking ships. Much fun. And gets you out of the habit of building librarys and wonders and so forth.

The game can be beat at any difficulty, with any leader. It is very likely that you are not making the right decisions from turn to turn and are losing as a result of this when you are getting murdered on warlord.

Try starting a new game at warlord or noble and post the initial save here along with a screenshot of your start. Don't make any moves and wait for response on the forum. I find that people here are very helpful once you make it easy for them to see what you are doing.

On your thoughts about English and Lizzy: Lizzy is a very good leader, She's well in my top 10 of civ leaders. Philosophical and Financial are both strong traits although there is a small tension with respect to playstyle. She can set up a strong capitol very quickly if played right and simply accelerate from the AI. The Stock Exchange is usually not worth the investment. While making the world go around, money is not a very strong ressource in this game. However, the Redcoat is simply unbeatable for its time, and Lizzy's research-oriented traits are good for the kind of game that goes until the UU is unlocked

Btw, 'Becky' is Victoria? Something about Spice Girls?

Top Bottom