[R&F] Is England the worst Naval Civ?

acluewithout

Deity
I think England is the worst Naval Civ. Here’s my logic:

- The case for England. Cheap Harbour, which is good, and gives you extra great admiral points. But. Hard to get any extra adjacency - you get +2 only on foreign continents, and it’s hard to do that unless you spawn on a split continent. Other than a GA, you’re naval units are unlikely to be stronger - you’ll build some before RND so no +1 movement for them, and even the ones that do get it will lose it when you upgrade them. Your unique ship is rubbish, and you have nothing to mitigate coastal starts (no extra housing or production).

- But, compare England to these Civs.

- Indonesia. Extra housing and production via Kampungs, and these are easy to build given you can faith buy builders. Strong unique naval unit. Can faith by navy.

- Japan. Stronger harbours via adjacency boost. Coastal combat bonus. Can bee-line important civics.

- Dutch. Better Harbour, Commercial Hub, City Center triangles because of extra adjacency for Commercial Hubs on rivers (plus river start bias). Extra culture from Trade Routes plays well with Harbours and Commercial Hubs, and Culture lets you bee-line important civics.

- Germany. Better Harbour, Commercial Hub, City Center triangles because you can place both immediately. You can also work in strong Hansa (Hansa, plus Shipyard, yikes). Extra military slot for naval cards. Fairly good Naval unit albeit late game.

- Brazil and Australia. Better CH Adjacencies which makes Harbour, CH, CC triangles better. Australia has housing on the coast, and Brazil has a good naval UU.

- What about Spain and Norway? Spain and Norway are maybe tied with England. Spain is a bit odd anyway given its religion focus, and Norway is less a Naval Civ than an Exploring and Raiding Civ and so sort of follows its own rules.

I recently played England. They were MUCH better than I expected.

The +2 gold for Harbours on a foreign continent also adds to the production bonus for Shipyard.

Ironically enough, I thought the "free melee unit when founding city on foreign continent and extra free melee unit when building royal dockyard on city on foreign contintent" to be the most useful. Think of it as saving production that you would spend on land units, and being able to build other things instead!

The +2 gold for Harbours on a foreign continent also adds to the production bonus for Shipyard.

Ironically enough, I thought the "free melee unit when founding city on foreign continent and extra free melee unit when building royal dockyard on city on foreign contintent" to be the most useful. Think of it as saving production that you would spend on land units, and being able to build other things instead!

Good point in the Shipyard Gold to Hammers thing. Indeed, that’s part of the logic of Harbour, CH, CC triangles. Shipyard hammers also get multiplied by the double Harbour adjacency card, as does the +2 Gold for a Foreign Continents. You can also add in the various colonial policy cards for more gold, production and growth. But I think many other Civs still do the whole coastal adjacency better.

As for the free melee... outside the early game, I’m not sure free units on settling is that useful. I usually just delete the units for gold.

Nah, Spain wins by far.

England is consistently mediocre. However, their bonuses will always somehow come into play no matter how much you try to avoid them. Spain is never good for anything. Anything it could do, there's a civ out there that does it twice as better. I mean, they basically get ziggurats at Exploration. Stuff's sad, lol. Also Norway isn't good either; the only reason why they're even relevant at all is through an exploit. Basically, Firaxis made them useful by accident.

Well, okay. I would say Brazil or Japan actually makes England redundant. But not completely! Of course I think the saddest thing is like the Sea Dog and Minas Gaeres are almost next to each other on the civics tree, and the difference is.... vast.

Last edited:
@Archon_Wing Ziggurat by Exploration is pretty funny.

Is Spain worse? That’s a tough call. I don’t think they’re worse overall, but perhaps they are worse as a Naval Civ. They are also just, ugh, in appealing to play (IMO).

I don’t think Norway are worse though. Norway are just their own thing - raiding. Longboats are like War Carts of the Ocean. Berserkers are perfectly serviceable units. Production bonuses are production bonuses. And Stave Church is perfectly okay if you’re building Holy Sites. Norway are “weak” power wise, because raiding is not the meta, and Norway get hurt by the whole Pikes / Military Tactics thing, but they’re okay overall.

(Side note: I’m maybe warming to the idea of playing Netherlands actually. I’ll just pretend their led by William of Orange - sorry Willy, you’re just a bit to frumpy and modern era for me.)

Last edited:
I've been playing a few games on an islands map with Brazil, England, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Netherlands, Norway and Spain and in terms of dominating the seas England are pretty lousy.
Brazil, Indonesia, Netherlands and Norway all get ships that can dominate in the seas in their period.
Spain gets fleets and armadas with the same civic that England gets Seadogs with.
Britannia never rules the waves.

(Side note: I’m maybe warming to the idea of playing Netherlands actually. I’ll just pretend their led by William of Orange - sorry Willy, you’re just a bit to frumpy and modern era for me.)

They're a lot of fun to play. Indeed best to ignore that Wilhelmina is the leader though. I still vehemently disagree with that choice...

The true start earth should be the acid test for these kinds of things. It's a fairly simple thing to get all the eurekas leading up to Cartography so England can navigate the world and settle it first. Triggering a golden age for Free Inquiry boosts the Dockyard to get there even faster.

They're a lot of fun to play. Indeed best to ignore that Wilhelmina is the leader though. I still vehemently disagree with that choice...

Prior to this choice, 90% of Civ players didn't know Netherlands had a Queen, so there's some educational benefit provided.

Course, that same 90% now thinks the Queen actually runs the country, so that part's not so good ...:think:

Is Spain worse? That’s a tough call. I don’t think they’re worse overall, but perhaps they are worse as a Naval Civ.

They get to form fleets like, 2 civs earlier. I guess the Armada thing is okay. The hilarious thing about their trade bonus is that it needs to be international AND to another continent. By the time you can set up a trade network like that, 6 gold isn't nearly as good as getting an extra unit plus you have no way to keep loyalty, even if that loyalty doesn't mean much. If you want gold, just trade with a city state and don't jump through hoops. You know a civ bonus is weak if you play like it doesn't exist. Or in truly bad scenarios like Egypt's case, you wish it didn't exist.

don’t think Norway are worse though. Norway are just their own thing - raiding. Longboats are like War Carts of the Ocean. Berserkers are perfectly serviceable units. Production bonuses are production bonuses.

Even with a coastal start, it's no guarantee your rivals will also put ciites on the coast. I mean the longboat is nice passive defense for your cities I gotta admit. Also Japan is just as good as Norway in galley combat in shallow waters.... but early naval combat is always in shallow water!

And Stave Church is perfectly okay if you’re building Holy Sites.

Basically, it's not okay. :lol:

I will agree with @Archon_Wing that Spain is by far the worst !!!!!
If you get a religion Spain is really good civ. You need to conquer with conquistadors, missionaries and builders and you got it made as far as loyalty is concerned. So that means attacking on different continents if far easier as Spain than most other civ (IF you have a religion)
The trade routes can help you grow and produce quicker in new cities.
I think Spain is fairly well designed and fun to play.

Norway is pretty good simply because of that production bonus they get to boats (which makes chopping very powerful) Sure you can say that it only works if there are coastal cities but we are talking civs that naval so they all potentially starts with that disadvantage.

If you get a religion Spain is really good civ. You need to conquer with conquistadors, missionaries and builders and you got it made as far as loyalty is concerned. So that means attacking on different continents if far easier as Spain than most other civ (IF you have a religion) .

If you don't get a Religion, just spread the first Religion one of your cities get until it's your majority Religion. You still get the +4 against all other civs except the founder of your Religion.

Do you convert as well? Conversion creates loyalty and if you are able to get a missonary and a trade route up ASAP you can expand on a different continent overseas.
England on the other hand have to build a district and it in not close to as powerful to create loyalty as Spain's ability is

Do you convert as well? Conversion creates loyalty and if you are able to get a missonary and a trade route up ASAP you can expand on a different continent overseas.
England on the other hand have to build a district and it in not close to as powerful to create loyalty as Spain's ability is
England has as much of a chance of founding a religion as Spain does, so the same strategy could be used by England.

England has as much of a chance of founding a religion as Spain does, so the same strategy could be used by England.
Easier for Spain since you convert a city just by conquering it and then you get instant loyalty

(and the conquistador REPLACES the musket so you can upgrade into it - that is just great, Red coats not so much. Spain has England beat by a mile I would say)

Last edited:
Easier for Spain since you convert a city just by conquering it and then you get instant loyalty

(and the conquistador REPLACES the musket so you can upgrade into it - that is just great, Red coats not so much. Spain has England beat by a mile I would say)

Defender of the Faith works well for Spain too. Capture a city with a Conquistador and all your units will have +10 strength in its territory.

England can also field swordsman without iron using their ability. So Spain is only better than them during muskets.... And falls behind again once redcoats come along. So they can do it better for most of the game. Not to mention early bonuses mean earlier settlement to get the best spots.

Last edited:
They get to form fleets like, 2 civs earlier. I guess the Armada thing is okay. The hilarious thing about their trade bonus is that it needs to be international AND to another continent. By the time you can set up a trade network like that, 6 gold isn't nearly as good as getting an extra unit plus you have no way to keep loyalty, even if that loyalty doesn't mean much. If you want gold, just trade with a city state and don't jump through hoops. You know a civ bonus is weak if you play like it doesn't exist. Or in truly bad scenarios like Egypt's case, you wish it didn't exist.

Even with a coastal start, it's no guarantee your rivals will also put ciites on the coast. I mean the longboat is nice passive defense for your cities I gotta admit. Also Japan is just as good as Norway in galley combat in shallow waters.... but early naval combat is always in shallow water!

Basically, it's not okay. :lol:

Spain can get a Religion more easily than England.

Spain don’t get a direct bonus to getting a Religion. But getting Religion is really about opportunity cost - you spend early production getting a Religion (and its benefits) but at the cost of not spending production on other useful things. Spain gets additional benefits from having a Religion as compare to say England; so the opportunity cost (the difference between what you get vs what you forgo) is smaller. In other words, Spain gets more for the hammers it puts into Religion, meaning Spain can more easily commit to getting a Religion vs. England.

Spain is a big winner from RnF. They’re basically geared towards capturing cities and then holding them. Basically, you go nuts mid game, capturing cities with no resource musket men and armadas (+17). You capture the cities, and immediately get loyalty via auto conversion of the City’s religion (assuming you founded a Religion). Spain’s UI then let’s you quickly boost loyalty further (you just need a builder, versus say England that needs a build a whole district). Your inquisitors then help you maintain religion and keep the loyalty boost.

Spain has really only two problems to my mind. First, as I’ve said elsewhere, Religion (as opposed to faith) is a bit limited if you don’t found your own Religion. Spain’s abilities do mostly work even if they don’t found a Religion, but aren’t as good. I don’t think Spain need a boost to getting a Religion, but they would benefit from a mechanic that let you more proactively adopt someone else’s Relgion and of having a majority Religion had more impact (eg if the Religion / Loyalty thing worked for your majority Religion, not just founded Religions).

Second, while Spain are good a foreign conquest, the problem is that grabbing foreign cities mid game doesn’t have enough pay off for the effort involved. Spain’s trade route thing is meant to help with that (as is England’s RND +2 gold), and the various colonial cards are also meant to help. But I still think the bonuses are a bit too low for Spain, England and really everyone else too.

Norway really is its own thing.

Norway aren’t that good at capturing coastal cities, and I agree there often aren’t that many anyway. But that’s okay, because they’re all about Coastal Raiding. The idea is you pillage mines, farms, other improvements, and districts built near the coast. You get the benefit of pillaging and then peace deals.

Norway can also then pillage on land with its Beserker - the extra movement and better embark and disembark let you pillage more easy, kill vulnerable units, and then withdraw if stuff gets hairy.

Norway is not really about capturing foreign cities so much as it’s about settling them (just like real Vikings). Long boats let you scout out good land early (plus grab goody huts and city state meets), ocean tech let’s you settle those cities early, and faith let’s you buy settlers cheap.

On the Stave Church, IMo Norway is designed to work with low production starts, and the Stave Church really works with this. Norway’s production bonus for boats let’s them build a Navy notwithstanding low production starts. Later on, they’ll purchase things with faith, which the Stave Church helps with, while also maybe boosting production for a few coastal cities.

Norway suffers from maybe just three niggles. First, your sort of pushed to getting that Grand Chapel Government Plaza building, so you can do things like buy Beserkers. It’s not really a problem, but it does feel hard to take a different strategy.

Second, Beserkers are hurt by Military Tactics being a bit Naff and Pikes being relatively weak. Given you can’t prebuild Beserkers, you’d ideally like to have some spears on hand to upgrade to Pikes, so they could support your Beserkers (just like how you can upgrade horses to Cavalry when you unlock RedCoats). But Pikes are so lame it’s not worth the effort.

Third, Norway don’t really get any bonus to holding foreign cities in terms of loyalty, and again is settling foreign continents really worth the effort? Maybe it’s okay because you can settle early before loyalty gets out of control.

So, in summary. I’m not sure either Spain or Norway are that powerful. But they do have great strats and great synergies, so I think are lots of fun. I think this makes them better Naval Civs than England, although perhaps the competition is tighter if we’re only considering raw naval power - in which case, I still think Spain (+17 attack strength for ships) and Norway (cheaper, better naval melee) still win.

England can also field swordsman without iron using their ability. So Spain is only better than them during muskets.... And falls behind again once redcoats come along. So they can do it better for most of the game. Not to mention early bonuses mean earlier settlement to get the best spots.

Yes, it can field Swordsmen without Iron (if the continent gods are in your favour), but it can’t heal them without Iron.

RnF made Harbours better overall, particularly that age of steam dedication and Reyna. That is a boost to England given they get half price Harbours, and maybe some extra adjacency, although I’m not sure that enough to counter the various hard nerfs.

I’m slowly working on a balance mod (old dog, new tricks, also this old dog travels a lot and drinks too much). One idea I had was to keep Harbour Trade Routes at Lighthouses, but maybe move CH Trade Routes to Banks (with maybe a free Trade Route somewhere else in the Civics tree to make up for that). That would be a soft buff for Harbours and Coastal cities, and help with something else: land locked Civs usually aren’t poorer in Civ, whereas they usually are in real life). Combine that with maybe Lighthouses and Markets getting +1 Gold on foreign continents, and I think that would make the game more fun - more reason to settle coastal cities, more reason to settle foreign continents, trade routes less front loaded.

Spain don’t get a direct bonus to getting a Religion. But getting Religion is really about opportunity cost - you spend early production getting a Religion (and its benefits) but at the cost of not spending production on other useful things. Spain gets additional benefits from having a Religion as compare to say England; so the opportunity cost (the difference between what you get vs what you forgo) is smaller. In other words, Spain gets more for the hammers it puts into Religion, meaning Spain can more easily commit to getting a Religion vs. England.

Actually, yea I guess you could see it like that. But Spain still needs to put more work into it and there's always the chance of failure in which case England will still do better than Spain.

And even when they do found a religion, I'd argue there's still obstacles that make Spain no better off. They're dependent on having an opposing religion to fight against. Even if your neighbor has an opposing religion, if they're lazy at spreading it, it has no effect because there's no majority. It's also inherently anti-synergstic with a religious victory since you want to found a religion and not convert people.

Until Spain can actually move to take advantage of it by spreading their religion, England's free units and cheaper harbors (also means faster admirals too) still will mean early Religion England > early Religion Spain

Yes, it can field Swordsmen without Iron (if the continent gods are in your favour), but it can’t heal them without Iron.

True, but when the alternative is warriors, it doesn't seem as bad and will actually help you get iron possibly by conquest.

I mean conquistadors are good, but it's just one era and not that early either. Beating England in one era, doesn't mean much.

Top Bottom