1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Fox News fair and balanced?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gary Childress, Feb 22, 2009.

?

1. YES: Fox news is fair and balanced

41 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. NO: Fox news is NOT fair and balanced:

232 vote(s)
    81.7%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Europe is still fairly good at unilaterally messing with other peoples affairs. In any case there doing what Europe used to do, far more politely, far less unilaterally and far less often (in the sense that they don't feel the need to resort to gunboat diplomacy whenever Argentina defaults).

Europe has been content to let America do it for them since the Second World War.

2. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Do these two statements not seem rather contradictory to you?

3. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

No presents for any holidays.

I don't like it either.

4. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Not really if you read them seperately in the context they were posted under.

I pointed out that Europe still unilaterally messes with other peoples affairs. I also pointed out that for a European of all people to say that is just a touch rich.

I took that to imply military force given the European penchant for insisting in interfering in every third world snafu. So I posted accordingly that Europe has been content to let America clean up (overwhelmingly Europe's screw-ups... but whatever).

The first assumes both peaceful and military intervention. The second assumes just military intervention. Given that "influence" in the context reads to me more like military force than sending crack Swedish diplomats to broker "Congo Truce No. 54"

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

As long as I don't have any say in other European Governments through elections or otherwise, I will not be held responsible for "Europe". You can pin Dutch screw-ups on me all day long, even if I didn't vote for the peanuts in charge.

Thank you :)

6. eastsidebagel

eastsidebagel Deity

I like isolationalism very much, and that is the very last thing you will hear from me about that issue.

7. GinandTonic

Then you misunderstood. By influence I meant influence.

8. Murky

Murky Deity

Faux news is just a propaganda machine for the GOP. Old news.

9. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

:rolleyes: duly noted. In an aside what "influence" i.e soft power does America have on the world at large? Most of the world hates America without sufficient recourse to reality to actually heed Americas use of the aforementioned influence. Americas only policy trick is the implicit or explicit threat of force.

10. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That's rather ironic when you consider that the Democrats and the Republicans have far more in common with each other than they do differences. Not to mention that Australia gave the world Rupert Mordoch...

I take it you don't watch or read Rupert's Australian-owned media. Then again, I can hardly blame you since I typically only watch Fox News when their antics are reported by others.

In other words, you have no problem leeching off the massive US military expenditures for your own direct benefit? I wish I could say the same...

11. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

All 24/7 cable news is suspect. It's driven by advertisement money and not a desire to get the story right. MSNBC/CNN/FOX it's all . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

12. GinandTonic

I guess there is cash and diplomatic clout on third parties. Much of the world may dislike America but most nations wont start a ruckus against them over a minor issue.

13. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Our two major parties don't just have "far more in common with each other than they do differences" its at the stage where I can't tell where the differences are. It is generally impossible to tell who is suggesting what policy without taking the time to look at the name above said policy. There is utterly no difference in how either party operates politically. I couldn't tell you more than a handful of minor policy differences (and I'm fairly well placed to discern some) there are simply no large policy differences between the parties. We end up voting for the same political party at each election. The last election was our current PM Kevin Rudd cast as "John Howard 2.0" vs. John Howard cast as himself.

I tend to ignore the mainstream Australian media.

Well I can count three countries of the top of my head that enjoy doing that.

I also agree with you choice in drink.

Bombay Sapphire with Schweppes Indian Tonic Water, a sliver of fresh Lemon and Lime and a cooled schooner to drink it out of.

14. GinandTonic

WTF :confused:

That just makes no sense whatsoever.

I say we criticise nations for not acting on the world stage when they can. You say that means I'm happy to hide behind the DoD's skirts? That does not make the slightest sense. Masada may not have taken what I said as I intended it but his interpretation made sense.

15. Formaldehyde

It sounds like Rupert Murdoch already finished turning Australia into his own political empire if there is now no difference in the political parties and the media. No wonder he aimed for bigger targets...

I didn't say or even suggest you are trying to hide behing the DoD's skirts since whatever country you live in likely has no viable enemies. I am saying that you don't mind others paying the bills for military actions which you think benefit your own country and political views. I can hardly blame you...

16. GinandTonic

Oh sure, but hundreds dont.

You're a gen'len of distinction sir :hatsoff:

I think the US wildly overspends on the military and thats their lookout. I'ld say the basic figure for UK/ French military spending is about right, though I'ld disagree with much of the areas they spend it on. As for the US subsidising our defence in the last few years we have squandered a fortune backing the US up, while their actions have made us less secure and turned the world political situation against us. While the US has been a good ally in general since Bush your comment is wrong.

17. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea democratic?

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

:lol: :crazyeye: :wallbash: :hammer2:

There. Combined with dutchfire's post, I have summed up the entire thread for anyone who is just joining. :)

19. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

What about Kwanzaa presents??

20. Formaldehyde

I agree, but I'd say it is an enormous threat to the peace and security of the entire world.

I'd tend to agree, and you don't see them engaging in imperialism anymore.

You have spent a fortune sending a handful of troops to Iraq and Afghanistan? But I do agree it has made you much less safe. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Australia has its own mini-9/11 sometime soon. That's how blowback works.

Heh. Well that's only because it was meant to be sarcastic.