Is Fox News fair and balanced?

• YES: Fox news is fair and balanced

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • NO: Fox news is NOT fair and balanced:

Votes: 232 81.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
I don't watch the news anymore, half of it is either biased political viewpoints or a huge breaking news story on the latest youtube video to hit a million views, its gotten really annoying.

Oh, and I find this video perfect for this thread :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2EPKKVrqI

Is Fox News actually news? Do they have any non-pundit based programming?
They do. Fox News Sunday, although I've seen in only a few times in passing, so I can't comment on any bias it has.

Not too many deserve the title of journalist, most are plagued with bias. But Fox is just Republican propaganda with fascistic overtones (when the GOP is in power, now they're revolutionaries fighting for our freedom :lol: )
With excellent ratings. It's such a shame that blatant propaganda attracts viewers.:(

No, but not a single news source, or for that matter person is fair and balanced. If every news story was done from every possible perspective, we'd get maybe two stories in a day.

With excellent ratings. It's such a shame that blatant propaganda attracts viewers.:(

Fox filled a niche for conservatives and Repubs while "the liberal media" already had multiple long established outlets. Add up the ratings for the liberal media and Fox and the former dominates. But they have to share viewership while Fox doesn't have to compete with anyone so they get good ratings. Propaganda can be entertaining ;)

They do. Fox News Sunday, although I've seen in only a few times in passing, so I can't comment on any bias it has.

It's more a matter of Fox pandering to those who do not want to know the truth.

It's more a matter of Fox pandering to those who do not want to know the truth.
In Cheezy the Commie's brainwashing thread, his article mentioned something about "the human brain feeling good when someone validates our opinions". So, it's not so much that people don't want to know the truth, they want other people to say, "Yes, you're right," so they can get a nice jolt of brain happiness. Maybe that's why another poster's Republicrap friend got so angry at NPR. He heard so much that didn't fit his worldview it gave him jolts of brain unhappiness which he translated into "NPR is a hate filled radio show."

journalism - reporting the facts
biased journalism - reporting the facts but the questions are ideologically slanted
propaganda - fox"news", flat out lies, distortions, half truths, and no shame.

That's a fairly good summary. And it is worth mentioning that the range of bias can be immense. For example, I didn't see a single US source carrying the story that some US troops were openly proseletyzing in Afghanistan.

Maybe that's why another poster's Republicrap friend got so angry at NPR. He heard so much that didn't fit his worldview it gave him jolts of brain unhappiness which he translated into "NPR is a hate filled radio show."

I have to admit I react the same way to most right-wing talk radio. I typically can't even stand to listen to it for more than a few minutes. But unlike NPR, the talking heads and the callers are usually screaming and foaming at the mouth. I think that's why the left typically doesn't bother me nearly as much as the right does. While I disagree with some of the opinions expressed on NPR, it doesn't make me want to become a Eugenics advocate merely because the educational system has failed.

Reminds me to dislike America even more than I already do...:rolleyes:

Hey, we don't judge your country by its worst.

They aren't any more "anti-US" than I am. I suggest you take a good hard look at the First Amendment to the Constitution again. Presenting a news story from a foreign perspective doesn't make you "anti-US". If anything, it makes you pro-US for being able to provide a different perspective without fear of governmental reprisal or censorship.

So by that logic, if I took a gun and shot a bunch of Americans, it would make me pro-US because the Constitution says I can have a gun. Good one.

No. By that logic I can be opposed to torture, murder, and various other war crimes. I can respect the opinions and lifestyles of others who have different cultures and morals than I do. I can openly dissent against the policies of the government without fear of reprisal. And I can do all that while continuing to be a proud American.

No. By that logic I can be opposed to torture, murder, and various other war crimes. I can respect the opinions and lifestyles of others who have different cultures and morals than I do. I can openly dissent against the policies of the government without fear of reprisal. And I can do all that while continuing to be a proud American.
You do realize that al-Jazeera showing terrorist videos and not showing a video where Osama admitted to the Sept 11th attacks has nothing to do with however much you "dissent", right? That's what you were responding to originally here.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8052957&postcount=235
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8053337&postcount=236

Republicrap friend
If you remember that article was also talking about how we label our opposition to make us feel superior...
Also I love that jib jab video!

The likelihood that not one but A LARGE GROUP of individuals could be fair and balanced, let alone unbiased, is ridiculously low.

Fox could be worse though. It could be a lot of other media sources. But w/e. IMO they're all pretty limited.

They aren't really balanced, but generally they are pretty fair. Hannity is one major exception. I'd suggest getting rid of that motto and of Hannity.

They aren't really balanced, but generally they are pretty fair. Hannity is one major exception. I'd suggest getting rid of that motto and of Hannity.

I'm pretty sure that the main reason why you think that they are fair is because it is agreeable to your political disposition.

Fox news is as fair and balanced as ABC/CNN/CBS/NBC.......................... the only difference is what flavor spin you want on your news.

Fox news is as fair and balanced as ABC/CNN/CBS/NBC.......................... the only difference is what flavor spin you want on your news.
I disagree. MSNBC is certainly as biased as Fox, but the network newscasts and CNN don't actively support one party, unless I've been missing something.

Beserker said:
Fox filled a niche for conservatives and Repubs while "the liberal media" already had multiple long established outlets. Add up the ratings for the liberal media and Fox and the former dominates. But they have to share viewership while Fox doesn't have to compete with anyone so they get good ratings. Propaganda can be entertaining ;)
I'm sad that propaganda is a profitable business model. Nothing to do with percentage of viewers.

Top Bottom