Is gay marriage really that different?

useless

Social Justice Rogue
According to Zach Wahls
Link to video.
Homosexual families are no more different than heterosexual families. They are both the same, as it is love that makes a family, not "values" or "morals" that discriminate against homosexuals or transgendered people.

Face it; homosexual CAN raise a child just like any other heterosexual couple.

Its different only if you believe men are indeed different than women.

Since they are indeed different, then of course its different. And as long as we have this thing called 'gender' then of course there are going to be differences.

Btw, the question of can they raise a child just as well isnt what makes it different, nor is that a even a very good metric to make such a comparison.

Since they are indeed different, then of course its different. And as long as we have this thing called 'gender' then of course there are going to be differences.

Btw, the question of can they raise a child just as well isnt what makes it different, nor is that a even a very good metric to make such a comparison.

MobBoss! All people are different, thus all marriages are different :crazyeye:

FWIW, you're engaging in a bit of false equivalency. Someone can easily admit that gays can raise a children and be "just as in love as two heterosexuals are", yet reject the notion that the idea of gay marriage as being a family isn't predicated on being married.

Different does not mean worse. Different does not mean there should be discrimination.

Bi-racial couples are different. Couples w/ large differences in age are different. Couples where one or both of the partners has a disability are different. Etc... etc...

So, in the end, 2 women being married is no better or worse than 1 man/1 woman.

Actually the proponents of Prop 8 predicated their <horrifically bad> defense of Prop 8 essentially on this question during the recent trial.

You do not know what this (bolded) word means and are not using it correctly.

Gender is entirely a social construction. There is sex which is biological and that is indeed different. Gender on the other hand is not.

Just abolish government recognized marriage.

What do grammatical concepts have to do with what you're talking about?

Gender is entirely a social construction. There is sex which is biological and that is indeed different. Gender on the other hand is not.

Sex is still a rather muddy concept.

/looks down tunnel

Sees derailment coming head on!

Was this meant to be some statement of moderator intent or action, or just an opinion?

Regardless, I think it's perfectly relevant to discuss why there has to be a perceived "two genders" component to marriage as a (bad) reason for arguing about gay marriage. And furthermore MobBoss would have started any such "derailment" by being wrong in the first place.

I think very few of us are qualified to say. A person would have to try both.:mischief:

And the comment that every marriage is different is quite true. A person on the outside generally can't tell how a particular marriage works.

Was this meant to be some statement of moderator intent or action, or just an opinion?
Moderator Action: I try to be very consistent and use the moderator tags when I'm talking in that capacity. If you ever feel I'm not, please PM me. :)

Regardless, I think it's perfectly relevant to discuss why there has to be a perceived "two genders" component to marriage as a (bad) reason for arguing about gay marriage. And furthermore MobBoss would have started any such "derailment" by being wrong in the first place.
My post was one of more being amused by the idea of this going off into some kind of drawn out argument on what gender is.

Yeah, it's quite different. I imagine that an arbitrary married gay couple has a completely different set of challenges and day to day experiences than a typical married straight couple.

The argument that one straight marriage is completely different from the next notwithstanding... :mischief:

Homosexual families are no more different than heterosexual families. They are both the same
Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of like saying black people and white people are the same? Every family is different, just like every person is different.

it's only different if you think marriage should be built around subjective, constructed gender roles

Maybe not emotionally different, but I can think of a few differences. ;)

Top Bottom