Is getting humans to Mars the most important Human Endeavour of our Times?

Is getting humans to Mars the most important Human Endeavour of our Times?

• Total voters
Nope. Asteroids first. Then the moon. Then Antarctica, because of all the scifi places to live, I think Antarctica would be pretty rad. We can finally try manifest destiny without killing anyone! Apologies to the penguins. Then Mars.

You do not get to harm the penguins. :trouble:

Nope. Asteroids first. Then the moon. Then Antarctica, because of all the scifi places to live, I think Antarctica would be pretty rad. We can finally try manifest destiny without killing anyone! Apologies to the penguins. Then Mars.

Antartica is already divided by humans, and when we have technology to colonize antartica of course these countries will enter in conflict for land. And if we look closely some lines overlap, what make the conflict even worst.

Meanwhile the Moon and Mars are free of boarders and need to be explored as quick as possible.

Antartica is already divided by humans, and when we have technology to colonize antartica of course these countries will enter in conflict for land. And if we look closely some lines overlap, what make the conflict even worst.

Meanwhile the Moon and Mars are free of boarders and need to be explored as quick as possible.
The solution's actually in your image!
1661479197049.png

We just need an eccentric billionaire who's willing to come up with housing that "floats" on ice, or to start mining caves into the mountains. I figure you could build a self sustaining colony of no economic prospects there for a mere $100 billion.

View attachment 637644

We just need an eccentric billionaire who's willing to come up with housing that "floats" on ice, or to start mining caves into the mountains. I figure you could build a self sustaining colony of no economic prospects there for a mere $100 billion.
He will probably say something like that, the next time he needs to pump Tesla.

I see you've brought a club. Did you want to harm the penguins instead?

No, I brought it to defend the penguins against all who would harm them.

Yes, it's handy that there aren't any pesky tenants on the Moon yet. Those landlord/tenant issues can drag on for years sometimes.

Not sure what property/tenant rights might be applicable to the Mars rovers, though... :think:

View attachment 637644

I am pretty sure if law allows them to melt the ice for the oil under it, they would glad to colonize there.
Oh wait, you can dump a ton of freon into the air and Antarctica would be ... you know ... terraformed!
A thriving energy industry, a home with oil fuel heating and beautiful aurora. Seems like my ice sheet rimworld colony.
Now, how do I call fund for my project to terraform Antarctica by leveraging global warming.

My personal suspicion - which may easily be not only mistaken, but a projection of different things - is that with so vast a population on Earth, we may be in ways less likely to become, as a species and on the whole, more technologically adept. With billions of people comes the inevitability of endless hundreds of millions literally having no reason to bother with technology in any other way than to consume it with no understanding.
And while the above is still passable on Earth, it won't fly when you live in an environment which will kill you if you are not in control both of sufficient tech and a basic understanding of it, neither of which are currently at hand.

The above is also in synergy with something positive (positive in my view), which is the natural human tendency to just enjoy life when that is possible, thus not disturb the inertia as long as life can be good.

Maybe if we first advance in other fields, such as life extension (not immortality, just a considerable extention, eg a number of decades), we will at some point get enough of just trying to have a decent life (something which perhaps the majority of our species is unable to have, and those who do only enjoy for a few years) and so on graduate to a more pananthropic fondness and skill in science, math and other orders which can help increase technology to the degree needed for space colonization.

Needless to say, this is not close to where things currently stand, for we are still a species where the ability to have a nice life is rare and usually fleeting even where it - mostly by chance - seems to manifest.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure if law allows them to melt the ice for the oil under it, they would glad to colonize there.
Oh wait, you can dump a ton of freon into the air and Antarctica would be ... you know ... terraformed!
A thriving energy industry, a home with oil fuel heating and beautiful aurora. Seems like my ice sheet rimworld colony.
Now, how do I call fund for my project to terraform Antarctica by leveraging global warming.
Unffortennly several coastal cities will be flud when the Antartica become a tropical paradise.
We need to pay attention to the sea levels, we can't allow the ice of Antartica become water, that should be the destruction of several cities around the world.
If to terra form Antartica is need to melt the ice, so it isn't a good option.

Actually, ALL costal cities on Earth will become underwater reefs, if all the ice in Antarctica, Greenland... melts. We're talking a +200 feet rise of global sea levels here.
Better get cracking practicing your scuba diving skills, I say. :crazyeye:

*ps: just in case; I can't tell if he was referering to terraforming Antarctica or Mars.

If you look at the night side of Earth, and think about the distribution of artificial lights, and about where this indicates most existing human infrastructure is, and then about the consequences of even slight sea level rise, then you should be drawing some really unpleasant conclusions.

Nope actually a house in the Berkeley hills before that other stuff :smug:

If you look at the night side of Earth, and think about the distribution of artificial lights, and about where this indicates most existing human infrastructure is, and then about the consequences of even slight sea level rise, then you should be drawing some really unpleasant conclusions.
Don't even have to look at night lights if you've got some idea of where stuff is.

No, I brought it to defend the penguins against all who would harm them.

You know, I think emperor penguins, with their majestic height and proud beaks, might be long lost decendants of European legands. We should favour them, and teach them how to keep the rest of the penguins in line and away from our new ice pastures.

I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this contemplated invasion of the antarctic with its vast fossil-hunt and its wholesale boring and melting of the ancient ice-cap and I am the more reluctant because my warning may be in vain. Doubt of the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet if I suppressed what will seem extravagant and incredible there would be nothing left. The hitherto withheld photographs, both ordinary and a‘rial, will count in my favour; for they are damnably vivid and graphic. Still, they will be doubted because of the great lengths to which clever fakery can be carried. The ink drawings, of course, will be jeered at as obvious impostures; notwithstanding a strangeness of technique which art experts ought to remark and puzzle over. In the end I must rely on the judgment and standing of the few scientific leaders who have, on the one hand, sufficient independence of thought to weigh my data on its own hideously convincing merits or in the light of certain primordial and highly baffling myth-cycles; and on the other hand, sufficient influence to deter the exploring world in general from any rash and overambitious programme in the region of those mountains of madness.

Spoiler :
1661527624748.png

That's a reasonable measure of GDP at risk. It won't capture the human cost as nicely, ruining poor people's property doesn't show up in economic figures unless they're essential to the value-add chain.

Of course, ruining all that infrastructure makes my dream of being interstellar less likely!

We can finally try manifest destiny without killing anyone! Apologies to the penguins. Then Mars.

Well, aside from the slaves or servants or serfs who will doubtless be conscripted to throw their bodies upon the heap to maintain a pristine livable space for the billionaires who paid top dollar to play out their colonialist fantasies.

If the order is Asteroids -> Moon -> Mars, it will be hard to predict how much of the total workload will be robotic. I'm a pessimist, but even I expect that most of the people there will be there voluntarily.

Well, aside from the slaves or servants or serfs who will doubtless be conscripted to throw their bodies upon the heap to maintain a pristine livable space for the billionaires who paid top dollar to play out their colonialist fantasies.
If you mean increased demand for rare earth minerals and the conditions to mine them, where does your critique divide between acceptable use and overstep?

Top Bottom