Is Gods and Kings worth it?

I, like most other veteran civ players, didnt like vanilla that much because it was soulless and so simplified it made your brain bleed. But now with the expansion its actually very much worth playing, and both me and my wife, as well as old veteran civ friends, have a great time with it!

We are all waiting for Firaxis to fix the MP though. The AI dosnt work in MP and it takes ages to play a game when the AI cant contact you and you have to go through all the deals you have/had by hand.
Also, you cant play custom maps. Or even most of the maps that comes with the game/expansion...

All in all; If you hated the Vanilla version, you should give it another try now.

Played it til 2 a.m. last night. I have a job and three kids. I just had NO idea how late it was, and then I got up for work at 6:30 today. I'm tired, but man it was worth it (killer tall game with Ethiopia).

Another thing to help with the price point: you're getting the equivalent of a free CD as well with some awesome music, 23 tracks of music right into your itunes. I have playlist of every Civ V leader's War and Peace theme and I just set it to random and enjoy that.

I haven't even finished with the new civs and I keep thinking of things I can try with the vanilla civs. Only tried Rome so far from the old ones, and it gave me two iron tiles in my fourth ring with no way to control the acquisition of those tiles :lol:

So I'm a little skint right now... (just spent all my money on a holiday :)) I was wondering do you think G&K is worth the outlay now, or should I wait a few months for patches and(hopefully) a price drop?

I think it is worth the price. Lot of new good stuff which I will enjoy for many hours.

But you need to think about how much you are able or willing to play these next few weeks. If you want to play it now, buy it now. If you're busy and/or think you don't mind playing in a couple of week/months, then you just wait for a summer sale.

I found it worth the money, but if you can wait, I reckon the price will drop in autumn or winter.

Completely agree with Montov. In my opinion the expansion is well worth the current price, but of course if you wouldn't have the time to play it, it might be worth waiting.

I always felt Civ 5 had great potential; greater than previous iterations of the series, due to the various new mechanics such as the way you spend culture and 1upt putting the strategy (or rather tactics) back into the series. Vanilla was a little stale despite all this however, but G+K has done much to build on this with its two new mechanics, particularly Religion.

I'm hoping for another expansion now which develops espionage into something more akin to how religion is now and adds corporations, since I still find that the game gets less interesting as you enter the later eras. Having the ability to set up and spread corporations once you enter the Industrial era would do much to improve this.

Also I would love them to add a full future era; add a little sci-fi to the series. I still find it odd that the Apollo Program sends a ship to Alpha Centauri....

it's worth it just to get austria want an instant beachhead in your enemies territory so you can pump out units straight into their territory? marry the city state right next door to them! :D

I can read, thank you. I marginalized your post and steered back to the prevailing discussion for what should be an obvious reason; you went off on a tangent about real world religion when no one asked you and as every message board knows, that's a wonderful recipe for a flame war.

Kind of like another thread that was just started in this forum section by another unthinking poster decrying how terrible it is that as an atheist they have to "endure" a religion mechanic in Civ 5, meanwhile the destruction of nations and murder of millions/billions in this game isn't bothering them.

Point taken. Apology offered. I just wrote down what i felt without thinking about the possibility of starting a discussion about real life religion because i know how pointless that is.
And once more: I nearly always play peacefull: i'm not fond of manoeuvering large armies over the board: it takes too long. I only do it if it is unavoidable.

Top Bottom