1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Humankind Civilization VII Under a New Banner?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Well Paradox has certainly proven you can make games that have no victory conditions and serve as historical story telling sandboxes and micromanagement nirvana :p

I'm not sure I'd count on Amplitude to be the one to liberate you from micromanagement, Endless Legend at least was pretty micro heavy as well.

Have you ever played any of the games from Clarus Victoria? They are much smaller scale (and not really 4x) but are sort of fun historical simulation plus light empire building. The don't really have a long shelf life, but aren't very expensive.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    mitsho and Zaarin like this.
  2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Insomuch as one might use their deck of playing cards as drink coasters, or in the same sense that someone patch a leak in their roof with their chess board.

This incisive revelation does not address the desire for the game to provide a more narrative experience.

Zaarin and Elhoim like this.
  3. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I would say that in its increasing complexity, even if the additions tend to have a competitive intent, Civ has become a more narrative experience. At the very least in the sense that more elements in play means more depth to the emergent story which unfolds in each playthrough.

Now, what exactly would a "more narrative experience" entail in a sandbox 4X game such as Civilization? Are Amplitude games more narrative purely because each faction has a (fixed) story quest to follow? Are the Paradox games more narrative? How could Crusader Kings II compare to Civilization? Fixed story content and/or random events don't necessarily constitute a narrative experience to me. Or at least, not an experience I consider mandatory for the evolution of this particular game series.

acluewithout likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'd say the side quests contribute more to making ES2 feel narrative than the faction quests.

5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I am hoping that Humankind would appeal to both performers and technicians. Performers tend to roleplay, while technicians tend to find optimal winning strategies. Blind Let's Plays are at the performer end, while 100% completion speedruns are at the technician end.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    ChocolateShake and mitsho like this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

On the HK discord the devs said there wouldn't be any new info soon. So get used to waiting I guess.

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

It's entirely possible that this is our fault.
    This single thread is up to 37 pages: that's a lot of commentary, likes, dislikes, and discussion of ways for Humankind to go. If they are serious at all about making a popular (and profitable) game, they have to digest this stuff, discard most, and decide what to do about the interesting parts.

Of course, while they are doing that, we can keep right on discussing . . .

8. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ BERSERKER

Question is, do they even follow this thread. I hope they do.

9. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

They follow the threads on their own site, and the discussion there hasn't differed too much from the opinions expressed here. A few of us posting the same things in both places kind of helps … :lol:

10. God of Kings

I believe that Eagle Pursuit is frequenting the official HK forums.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Why not? It only takes a few moments to check up on anything the devs might comment on.

12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Thank you for bringing us the latest news! :goodjob:

Krajzen, Kjimmet, Jkchart and 3 others like this.
  13. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Chieftain

Hey everybody,

I hope you don't mind me, one of the community managers at Amplitude Studios, butting into your discussion.
    We just wanted to let you know that we are indeed following your discussion here, and we're very happy to see your interest in our game. We probably would have spoken up much sooner, but as you rightly point out, there was a lot to catch up here (with many points we did not want to simply skim over), and we were already quite occupied with all the feedback on our own platform.

If you have any questions or want some clarification on any topics you've discussed, feel free to ask (though I of course reserve the right to avoid questions that I cannot give an answer to.)
    And if the Admins are not against it, I'll try to post links to any future announcements we make in this thread as well.

We hope we can answer many of your questions soon, but some of the topics are not at a stage where we can give a definite answer yet, while with others we are working to find the right way to present the new information in a way suitable to all the platforms where we want to share them.

14. Denkt

Denkt Reader

The only similarties is that they are turn based with somewhat similar theme and thats basically it. So no Humankind is not a civ successor and probably much closer to stuff such as endless legends.

Just because a game have a theme about human civilization and is turn based don't instantly turn it into a civilization clone.

15. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

Not posted in 2 years but I will to say that's a really nice touch to see a dev here.

16. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

@Catoninetales_Amplitude

Welcome and thank you for joining us!

I can't speak for the moderators regarding your announcements suggestion, but as a group we're typically in favour of more information, sooner.

Sometimes, obsessively so. :think:

17. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Welcome, Cat'o'Nine! As you can tell, with 36+ pages already in this thread, the group here is eager to learn more about HK, and to get a better idea of the similarities and differences compared to Civ. It's really great you've chosen to share some thoughts with us.

18. God of Kings

@Catoninetales_Amplitude

It is great that you have been reading our discussions. There's plenty of great discussions here in CivFanatics. We are just as excited about Humankind as all of you at Amplitude Studios are.

conorbebe likes this.
  19. Ruthless4u

Ruthless4u Chieftain

It certainly looks like an interesting game, hopefully makes it to console if it does well( toddler destroyed my PC ) as there finally seems to be an intrest in the genre on console again.

20. God of Kings

I'm hoping it makes to Windows, Mac, Linux, and the Nintendo Switch.