Humankind Game by Amplitude

Hey everybody,

I hope you don't mind me, one of the community managers at Amplitude Studios, butting into your discussion.
We just wanted to let you know that we are indeed following your discussion here, and we're very happy to see your interest in our game. We probably would have spoken up much sooner, but as you rightly point out, there was a lot to catch up here (with many points we did not want to simply skim over), and we were already quite occupied with all the feedback on our own platform.

If you have any questions or want some clarification on any topics you've discussed, feel free to ask (though I of course reserve the right to avoid questions that I cannot give an answer to.)
And if the Admins are not against it, I'll try to post links to any future announcements we make in this thread as well.

We hope we can answer many of your questions soon, but some of the topics are not at a stage where we can give a definite answer yet, while with others we are working to find the right way to present the new information in a way suitable to all the platforms where we want to share them.

It certainly looks like an interesting game, hopefully makes it to console if it does well( toddler destroyed my PC ) as there finally seems to be an intrest in the genre on console again.

Hey everybody,

I hope you don't mind me, one of the community managers at Amplitude Studios, butting into your discussion.
We just wanted to let you know that we are indeed following your discussion here, and we're very happy to see your interest in our game. We probably would have spoken up much sooner, but as you rightly point out, there was a lot to catch up here (with many points we did not want to simply skim over), and we were already quite occupied with all the feedback on our own platform.

If you have any questions or want some clarification on any topics you've discussed, feel free to ask (though I of course reserve the right to avoid questions that I cannot give an answer to.)
And if the Admins are not against it, I'll try to post links to any future announcements we make in this thread as well.

We hope we can answer many of your questions soon, but some of the topics are not at a stage where we can give a definite answer yet, while with others we are working to find the right way to present the new information in a way suitable to all the platforms where we want to share them.

I'm hoping we can get a forum for Humankind with people like those on Civfanatics. : )

I'm hoping we can get a forum for Humankind with people like those on Civfanatics. : )

The games2gether forum is pretty slick. I just wish it were more active. Hopefully that will come as the hype train picks up speed.

I agree.

Once more publications cover Humankind will it be busier.

Once Humankind is released, CivFanatics could have its own Humankind forum.

Would that make us Humanatics or Kindfanatics?

The games2gether forum is pretty slick. I just wish it were more active. Hopefully that will come as the hype train picks up speed.

I agree.

Once more publications cover Humankind will it be busier.

Once Humankind is released, CivFanatics could have its own Humankind forum.

Maybe I'll make an account there too then : )

I'd prefer if the games2gether site weren't company-owned. On the plus side, the dev team are active participants, which is good.

I do miss not being able to "like" other people's posts. And I especially miss not being able to :clap::hammer2::eek2:

I'd prefer if the games2gether site weren't company-owned. On the plus side, the dev team are active participants, which is good.

I do miss not being able to "like" other people's posts. And I especially miss not being able to :clap::hammer2::eek2:

Yes. "Liking" things is a nice way to show support for an idea without cluttering up the thread with ancillary chatter.

Last edited:
Man, I really love the look of the landscape and terrain art. It's way better than Civ 6 and probably better than Civ 5 too. That doesn't mean the actual game will be as good, of course, but it's still beautiful.

I also like the sound of this:
Even at this early juncture [the prehistoric era, where the game begins], you have choices to make—whether to welcome and learn from the other tribes you come across, or hoard food to grow your population free from outside influence. Quickly establishing your first city might give you a head start, but wandering the world to find wisdom could win you better starting traits...

Meaningful choices, especially difficult choices that are not always obvious and that may change from game to game, ooh, extremely enticing.

I also like the sound of this:

Even at this early juncture [the prehistoric era, where the game begins], you have choices to make—whether to welcome and learn from the other tribes you come across, or hoard food to grow your population free from outside influence. Quickly establishing your first city might give you a head start, but wandering the world to find wisdom could win you better starting traits...

Meaningful choices, especially difficult choices that are not always obvious and that may change from game to game, ooh, extremely enticing.

As do I, but it would serve us well to remember that it's easier to present choices than it is to present interesting and meaningful choices. I applaud the intent, and I hope they nail it, but we haven't seen anything yet to suggest these aren't just spurious choices that serve primarily to confound the AI and new players. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about core systems and how they work together to present meaningful choices.

From the article, regarding their singular Fame victory condition:
To me, it's the coolest thing to be the weakest empire and still win. I think games in general are going that way, there's so many games that are no longer, who's the biggest, the best, the strongest or the meanest.
I like this a lot. Sure, it can be fun to dominate and snowball, but it might be even more fun to snatch victory away from the current or latest dominant competitor.

From the article, regarding their singular Fame victory condition:

I like this a lot. Sure, it can be fun to dominate and snowball, but it might be even more fun to snatch victory away from the current or latest dominant competitor.

I thought this part was really encouraging, too:

"Clearly we don't want to say, 'Hey, slavery, really efficient, gets that industry cap up,' that's not what you want to do," says Spock. "But sadly that's why it existed. How do you balance that? How do you make that choice? What gameplay social consequences vs industrial political consequences do you try to build in?

Setting aside this particular topic and the considerations that come with it, the idea that the game may try to marry positive consequences now with negative consequences later suggests the potential for interesting choices. We saw something similar with one of their events, too, where choices made could have future consequences.

Top Bottom