1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Humankind Civilization VII Under a New Banner?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

It's a pretty safe bet that anything released to us Unwashed Masses (ie,, Da Public) will be artificially 'manufactured' to avoid releasing too much information, or information about features that may be abandoned or modified before the game comes out.
    On the other hand, given the Food-Industry-Gold("Dust" from EL) -Science-Influence model, they could have several different 'specialized' Districts from very early. Or they could refurbish the EL model and have single type District for everything except Harbors. I doubt that they will do that, because as was pointed out, there seems to be a graphic differentiation between 'Districts' within the nominal city wall as well as a graphic distinction between tiles adjacent to the city and tiles further away in the same region (assuming the entire land area in the latest screen shot is all one region).
    Given the more complex requirements for a 6000+ year span Historical Game compared to a Fantasy game, in which you may have to show Industrial 'districts', entertainment and religious complexes, railroad, airport, and commercial 'business' districts, I would expect distinctions between Districts from the start, so that the city will begin laying down 'farming/Food", "Manufacturing/Workshop/Industrial", and "Trade/Commercial/Gold" districts early. Science, Religion, and the Military might get their own Districts as well, but now we're getting very close to copying Civ, and I don't think they will do that. They've got a Blank Slate to work on and different set of mechanisms in the Endless games that they've refined for several years. They have no reason to simply copy the districts from Civ VI, and every reason from both a design and commercial standpoint to do something Distinctively Different.

2. KayAU

KayAU King

The new screenshots look amazing, but I still need convincing when it comes to the whole "regions" concept. If it is a subtle thing like continents in Civ 6 I don't mind, but if it is like the regions in Endless Legend, chances are high I will not like it.

CivLuvah likes this.
  3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

What about regions in Planetfall?

Quick overview:
    Every region has a climate (arid, arctic, etc.) and a type (mountains, plains, etc) that determines its resource boni (energy("gold"), science, food, and production). For example, both arid and mountains give +1 to production and +1 energy. So arid mountains give +2 each.

Colonies (aka cities) are build in any region and can expand into 4 more regions and exploit them for one resource each. Upgrading these sectors (unlocked through research or from the terrain modifiers) increases the amount of pops that can work that yield in the city, and the amount they produce.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Chieftain

1. On the topic of AI, I can tell you we have a bigger AI team on Humankind than on any of the previous games, but ultimately whether or not the AI is good will be for our players to judge.
    2. We have plans for dealing with excessive micromanagement (especially in the late game), and they tie into how we handle regions, but we'll go into more detail on that at a later time.
    3. As Boris points out, these screenshots are indeed "manufactured," in the sense that we create situations specific to what we want to show off (in this case, a tropical island and the Zhou), but they are all legitimate gameplay situations without any touchups except disabling the UI and adding the watermark.

Virdrago, conorbebe, Jkchart and 22 others like this.
  5. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Thanks for the continued interaction, Cat o'Nine! We're always hungry for more information about upcoming changes on the games we play, or want to play. (It's really sad that we get so little about Civ.)

6. ashendashin

ashendashin King

This is the deciding factor on the game for me. Well mostly anyhow. Extensive mod support would go a long way but a living world is the most important thing. What's the point of 4X if the world is dead from the start?
    The AI needs to show it's in the same world as you with their own stakes. Does it mean that it absolutely has to throw everything they have at the single victor as if global hegemony is the only satisfactory achievement in 4X? No, I don't think so. The rules could very well allow your own victory separate from current powers. Survival, for one. Features only worth investing in for smaller powers are possible, such as small border-based blocs or foreign oriented policies. What does it matter if there's one big civ on the world stage if it reached a stalemate?

Went off on a particular point after reading an old AI dev post on g2g, sorry :blush:.

Anywho, industry trends as they are, I have my doubts on what will be achieved in that area.
    Mod support? Any chance for something as expansive as Civ5's Vox Populi for both AI and gameplay is all I really care to ask for.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. tedhebert

tedhebert King

Thx for this... VERY appreciated ;-)

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Thanks for coming by. I love Endless legend, but the micro made it very boring for me glad to see that's being adressed in Humankind. :)

acluewithout likes this.
  9. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Yeah Amplitude has always been very good in their communication. They even have/had a monthly beer event where any player, lucky enough to be in Paris where the studio is located, could pass by and share a beer with the team. Unheard openness in my book.

Sherlock likes this.
  10. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Chieftain

It's a yearly event, not monthly, but that tradition is still very much alive, with a sister event every year in Cologne during GamesCom.

conorbebe, drakula15, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  11. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

I also did not like the regions in Endless Legend, but I was also unaware that you can apparently set the size of them in the game settings, and suspect I might have been fine with smaller ones than the standard.

Well to be fair to Firaxis, I'm not sure you should let in passerbys in Baltimore :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  12. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I was also dubious about the 'regions' concept when I first heard about it, then I played EL (got it cheap on a Steam Sale) a few times, and have been reading a little more about the implementation in Humankind.
    As I understand it, the regional boundaries are not Cemented as in EL, but more flexible, in that a city can spread across more than one Region. That gives you the opportunity to set regions very small at the start but essentially expand them later, city by city.
    Also, and I think this is indicated by the screenshots released so far (especially the latest one), the Region concept allows them to implement the same mechanism in Humankind that they had in EL: a city automatically 'works' every tile adjacent to a City/District tile and in the same region (the tiles next to the city in the latest screenshot show what appear to be a sprinkling of huts and farmed fields, definitely different graphically from 'wilderness' tiles further away from the city), and a city can also build an Improvement over any Resource in the region, no matter how far away, and gain access to that Resource. That dramatically increases the potential power of the early cities, and (in my experience in EL, at least) also dramatically increases the speed with which you can grow your early cities and Empire.

13. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I also could see there being a way to expand the "working radius" of a city beyond just one tile from each district though (with later tech maybe?)

14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Again, assuming they are going to use some of the same mechanism they established in EL and going by the sprawling Mega-Cities earlier screenshots of Humankind showed off, I suspect there is little or no limit to the number of Districts a city can have except amount of land available in the region or regions the city controls. That means the city could access all the tiles it has Districts on plus all the tiles bordering those districts. Again, based on the sprawling (and presumably, Late Game) cities shown already, I'd say we are already looking at dozens of tiles being workable, which compares favorably with any mega city in Civ V or VI - and in addition Improvements elsewhere in the region can, presumably, also contribute as they do in EL.

What I find most interesting is that we already have potentially a new 'model' for the interaction between City and Country compared to Civ's hoary old Work The Tiles Near The City With the City Population: Amplitude's Endless Legend mechanism simply allowed all tiles bordering the city or District of the city to be automatically 'worked' and contribute to the city output: city maintenance consisted not of moving people around the tiles, but improving tiles or adding new ones by extending Districts - and now, apparently, in Humankind you can also add Regions or 'stretch' the Regional boundary that kept an EL city from accessing any tile beyond it.

Makes me wonder how many 'standard practices' in the Civ Franchise will get a Relook in Humankind and give us (and the Mod Community) more ideas about how to tweak both games, and maybe even ideas for the Design Teams on how to do Civ VII in New Ways compared to what Went Before.

AsH2 and qadams like this.
  15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

well one thing they did in endless legend I really liked is that you can build tall cities by clustering your districts together, if a district is surrounded by districts it get an upgrade. I recall a faction that could build extra tall, it was really fun. That's at least one thing that works fundamentally different than civ.

16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

This is the civfanatics site and you're asking if it's too early to speculate? Shake yourself, man! :lol:

Eurritz, Kjimmet, CivLuvah and 5 others like this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

conorbebe and Elhoim like this.
  19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Zoom in and note the much different 'city graphics' from the previous two shots: this is a very 'medieval European' set of buildings, complete with stone curtain walls around (presumably) the city 'core'.@CivLuvah, this may be an answer to your querstion about art styles, because it is definitely a different style from what we've seen previously. Also note that to the right there appears to be a 'detached district' or smaller town. If that's the graphic for an EL-type Resource Extractor, it has a much more integrated look with the parent city/region.

Exciting stuff.

Oh, and the waterfall animation looks great, too!

Jkchart and Uberfrog like this.
  20. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I love that castle!

conorbebe likes this.