Humankind Game by Amplitude

The Humankind Twitter just revealed the details on the Assyrians

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1199364734438592517?s=09

Bronze Age

Emblematic Unit: Assyrian Raiders (appears to be a cav unit)

Emblematic Quarter: Dunnu (some kind of castle)

And in the lower left, it says they are Expansionist.

Ooooooh I really hope they do some more of these reveals soon.

Is that the equivalent of a unique Encampment district? :hmm:

I wonder that as well. It's definitely a type of fortress.

is a quarter a district?^^

I think so.

Ok, then making sure they don't overlap and just using civ eras for reference:

Ancient - Olmec
Classical - Maya
Medieval - Toltec
Renaissance - Aztec

not gonna lie it does have a nice ring to it.

And point out that while it's not exact, post-colonial Mexico could be thrown in as an Industrial or Modern Era "follow-Up".
Also, I believe Humankind allows you to keep playing as the same Civ/Faction in subsequent Eras, so you could play right to the Modern Era as Olmecs, Toltecs, Mayans or Aztecs.

Lots of options . . .

is a quarter a district?^^

Pretty sure 'quarter' = 'District'. We're going to need a little Dictionary, though, because it seems that the Amplitude people are bending over backward to avoid using Civ Game terminology wherever they can: 'Emblematic' Districts and Units, for example. For those of us who have been tossing about terms like Uniques, Civs, Districts, Improvements, etc. for years there may be a Learning Curve here and in the near future . . .

And point out that while it's not exact, post-colonial Mexico could be thrown in as an Industrial or Modern Era "follow-Up".
Also, I believe Humankind allows you to keep playing as the same Civ/Faction in subsequent Eras, so you could play right to the Modern Era as Olmecs, Toltecs, Mayans or Aztecs.

Lots of options . . .

I don't think I will mind that much in Humankind, as the whole point seems to be about mixing and matching cultures through the whole playthrough. Mayans that later turn into Vikings seems to be a thing :p

We hope to share more of these Culture reveals at a reasonable pace over the coming months.

And yes, an Emblematic Quarter is roughly equivalent to a Unique District in Civ. I don't know why our term is Quarter rather than District, but I as far as I know "Emblematic" was chosen as more reflective of what they are: They are not necessarily something only seen in that culture, but something commonly associated with that culture and often seen as representative, so in effect an "emblem" that evokes the culture.

We hope to share more of these Culture reveals at a reasonable pace over the coming months.

And yes, an Emblematic Quarter is roughly equivalent to a Unique District in Civ. I don't know why our term is Quarter rather than District, but I as far as I know "Emblematic" was chosen as more reflective of what they are: They are not necessarily something only seen in that culture, but something commonly associated with that culture and often seen as representative, so in effect an "emblem" that evokes the culture.
The word "Quarter," if taken literally, suggests that each city could have only four districts. I doubt that's the case, but can you clarify?

The word "Quarter," if taken literally, suggests that each city could have only four districts.
I don't think it suggests any such thing, it is just a district or part of town, when used in the context of towns/cities.

Quote from Online Etymology Dictionary:
>The word's connection with "four" loosened in Middle English and by 15c. expressions such as six-quartered for "six-sided" are found. Meaning "region, locality, area, place" is from c. 1400. Meaning "portion of a town" (identified by the class or race of people who live there) is first attested 1520s.<

Yeah, quarter is a common word for portion of a town. Even it became part of a building as well (Servants' quarters for example).

I don't think it suggests any such thing, it is just a district or part of town, when used in the context of towns/cities.

Quote from Online Etymology Dictionary:
>The word's connection with "four" loosened in Middle English and by 15c. expressions such as six-quartered for "six-sided" are found. Meaning "region, locality, area, place" is from c. 1400. Meaning "portion of a town" (identified by the class or race of people who live there) is first attested 1520s.<

Maybe districts in Humankind start as Quarters before leveling up to Districts with enough population and placing?...well that or they are avoiding the word "District" to differentiate from civ.

I assumed Quarter was just a way to make the terms different from Civ's Districts. Sort of like how Dungeons & Dragons has Cleric, Fight, Ranger, and Wizard, while World of Warcraft calls them Priest, Warrior, Hunter, and Mage respectively. Just to change them up so it's more unique.

I assumed Quarter was just a way to make the terms different from Civ's Districts. Sort of like how Dungeons & Dragons has Cleric, Fight, Ranger, and Wizard, while World of Warcraft calls them Priest, Warrior, Hunter, and Mage respectively. Just to change them up so it's more unique.

And possibly to avoid any accusations of being a "clone".

Just be glad we didn't call it "Emblematic arrondissement." But yes, "Quarter" should not imply that you can only have four of them, as should be easily visible in some of the screenshots on the Steam page, or even the recent Babylonian city we shared.

There's nothing wrong with calling them "quarters". It's a valid English term (blatantly stolen from the French, like so many English words were). It's just less commonly used these days.

And possibly to avoid any accusations of being a "clone".

Which would be somewhat ironic given the concept appears in Endless Legend prior to being implemented in Civ.

Just be glad we didn't call it "Emblematic arrondissement." But yes, "Quarter" should not imply that you can only have four of them, as should be easily visible in some of the screenshots on the Steam page, or even the recent Babylonian city we shared.

I personally think it would be fun to use culture specific words like arrondissement, quarter and district for the same game concept. If having different terms makes if difficult for someone to learn the game they can play through as there own culture first.

I'll say it again:
Us CivFanatics are going to need a Dictionary, translating from Civ to Humankind all the terms that 'almost' mean the same thing in each game but use different words and terms and, I suspect, frequently have slightly or completely different mechanics.

I personally think it would be fun to use culture specific words like arrondissement, quarter and district for the same game concept. If having different terms makes if difficult for someone to learn the game they can play through as there own culture first.

Or Precinct, Borough, Prefecture, and all the furrin equivalents. And none of them are necessarily specific to a given state or culture: famously, central New Orleans is still "The French Quarter" while the common term throughout the USA (which, ironically, originated in New Orleans) was "Red Light District", but New York City is still structurally 'The Five Buroughs" composed of numerous smaller geographical locations like Harlem, Tribeca, Lower East Side, Greenwich Village, etc.

In Berlin the Tiergarten is a 'district' in the middle of the city holding both trhe Zoo and a large Park (and the Opera House), in Tacoma, Washington Point Defiance Park is the largest single 'district' in the city, Hyde and Regent's Parks in London, the Bois de Boulogne and Central Park (Paris and New York, respectively), are all City Parks which are 'Entertainment' or Health/Culture Districts all by themselves.
Which brings up the question of just how many Different 'Quarters' are there in Humankind and what is their function? From the basic 'mechanic' in the Endless set of games of Food, Gold ('Dust'), Production, Science, 'Influence" I suspect there are at least 5 different Districts, plus Harbor of some kind, and possibly Religious and Military, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that there is more than one way to Skin a 4X Gamer and they don't have to do anything the way the Civ series has - the beauty and the bafflement to us of 'starting from scratch'

Yes the chance to start from the ground up with no obligation or expectation that certain things must be a certain way is very exciting. Is it confirmed that quarters behave like Endless Legends districts requiring to be connected to the city centre?

Top Bottom