Humankind Game by Amplitude

I have to say I'm very happy to see games give the Phoenicians more representation. And I think Carthage is in too for Classical!

The Haven looks cool, as it's basically representative of the bays that Phoenicians sought out in the early days and across the Mediterranean. I imagine Carthage will get the Cothon, and the potential synergy is hype.

Fun fact: The imagery used in the art is likely near the bay of Byblos where the Mount Lebanon mountain range directly connects to the coast. Fitting since Byblos is the first major Phoenician settlement.

Last edited:
Chariot is a good bet, because the Chinese chariot was so distinctive as a graphic compared to the Egyptian or Mesopotamian model, but the Eastern Zhou also include the first evidence for the crossbow with a bronze trigger mechanism (about 550 BCE) as the 'basic infantry weapon' among the Zhou armies, so the 'early crossbow' could be another option.
yeh i saw crossbow triggers in Qin Shi Huang exhibitions along with chariot replica in BKK last year
IMG_20191108_120859.jpg

Huh, I think trebuchets in Three Kingdoms Total War are awesome. Different people different opinions I guess.
Actually was referring to the Crouching Tiger in Civ VI :p neat idea, not really a great unit in game

Don't worry @AntSou we have no intention of dropping the alphabetical order.
Could we get more screenshots of cities, possibly of cultures you've released so we can see what they look like and then as we get more cultures you can show the melting pot feature even more? :)

Any guesses for Classical civs from the beginning of the alphabet?

There's Athenians, but I think Greeks is the safer bet. I would say the Carthaginians are likely. The Celts seem too broad for Humankind, so I'd expect Gauls instead.

I'd say the initial cultures could include the following from Europe:

- Carthaginians
- Etruscans
- Greeks
- Gauls

Do we know what they're actually calling the ages yet?

But are Achaemenids even a thing?

No.

But (and I could be wrong here) are the Zhou? I was under the impression this was a dynastic name too.

I wold expect the Persian Empire to be called Persians, but they might differentiate to allow for a later dynasty to appear as well.

My educated guesses are
Achaemenid (Because they might have several Persian cultures)
Aksum (could be named Ethiopia?)
Carthaginians
Gaul (if not Celts and Iceni is less likely)
Greeks
Han (Chinese)
Maya
Mauryan (India)
Numidia (could be named Berbers) This might be the one mistaken for Libyans earlier.
Romans

A Central Asian tribe is always plausible like Scythia, or the Huns, but the game already has you having nomadic starts and would make less sense going back to a more nomadic playstyle.
Goths certainly could be plausible too.

but the game already has you having nomadic starts and would make less sense going back to a more nomadic playstyle.

I understand it might be difficult to implement from a gameplay perspective, but it would be a huge oversight to exclude the Steppes in my opinion.

We might get Scythians in the next age, followed by Mongols in a later age.

I understand it might be difficult to implement from a gameplay perspective, but it would be a huge oversight to exclude the Steppes in my opinion.

We might get Scythians in the next age, followed by Mongols in a later age.
I'm sure of the Mongols showing up in the Medieval Age, I'm just not sure about any other nomadic people for the reasons I mentioned.

My educated guesses are
Achaemenid (Because they might have several Persian cultures)
Aksum (could be named Ethiopia?)
Carthaginians
Gaul (if not Celts and Iceni is less likely)
Greeks
Han (Chinese)
Maya
Mauryan (India)
Numidia (could be named Berbers) This might be the one mistaken for Libyans earlier.
Romans

A Central Asian tribe is always plausible like Scythia, or the Huns, but the game already has you having nomadic starts and would make less sense going back to a more nomadic playstyle.

I suspect that a lot depends on how many 'strings' of Factions they want to have from Era to Era. IF they want to give a gamer the option of doing 'semi-historical' progressions, then there will be more specific titles for the Factions.
For example, Classical to later 'strings' might be: (-/- means there are two equally good choices for that Era)

(Persian) Achaemenid - Samanid - Safavid - Qajar - Pahlavi/Islamic Republic
('French') Gauls - Franks - Bourbon France - Imperial France - Republican France
('Greek') Greeks - Byzantines
(Chinese) Han - Tang/Song - Ming - Qing/Manchu - Chinese Republic/PRC
(Indian) Mauryan - Chola - Mughul - Maratha - India
('Roman') Romans - Carolingians - Holy Roman Empire

Obviously, some 'strings' reach their ends before the game reaches the end of Eras!

The fact that they have a 'nomadic start' gives me hope that they will somehow segue that into a possibility of Staying Nomad in some way. Another point here is that leaving out Central Asia is a really bad option: see Beckwith's Empires of the Silk Road for a thorough discussion of just how important the factions in this area were in their influence on the surrounding 'settled' states like China, India and Rome and their importance in transmitting trade goods, wealth, technical advances, etc. Trying to do this all with 'Barbarians' or minor states is a poor substitute. There are also a host of potential Factions, starting in the Classical:

Scythians/Huns/Goths - Seljuks/Pechenegs - Mongols
- and after that they pretty much have to settle down or get swamped by the gunpowder-using settled states, as happened to the Mongol-successor Great Horde and the Siberian Khanates in Russia. I've posted before: this is the biggest thing in History that Civ leaves out completely, and I am still hoping that Humankind will find a way to include it in some way.

The Celts have actually already been confirmed as a classical age civ:
Watch from 27:30

Also, the eras have also been confirmed in this video and go as followed:

-Bronze Age
-Classical Age
-Medieval Ages
-Renaissance
-Industrial Revolution
-Modern Times

This may not be the exact naming of the ages but these time periods are being covered.

As to nomadic civs: is it already established that, as traditionally in civ, all civilizations have the same tech tree? I think that choosing a civ for each era would make individual tech trees achievable. Maybe not really unique ones, but with some techs coming earlier for some civs. Combined with Endless Legends‘ many small bonuses, modifiers and uniques per civ, that could make later age nomadic civs an interesting option. You would pass on certain things for extra mobility etc.

Also: I really hope for a classical persia and a safavid one. It always bugged me that Persia = Achaemenids in civ when the region has such a rich history.

I also wonder if we‘ll see both England and the UK. 60 civs is a lot, but 10 per era is Gilles fast as soon as we start dividing empires on the time line.

Last edited:
As to nomadic civs: is it already established that, as traditionally in civ, all civilizations have the same tech tree? I think that choosing a civ for each era would make individual tech trees achievable. Maybe not really unique ones, but with some techs coming earlier for some civs. Combined with Endless Legends‘ many small bonuses, modifiers and uniques per civ, that could make later age nomadic civs an interesting option. You would pass on certain things for extra mobility etc.

Also: I really hope for a classical persia and a safavid one. It always bugged me that Persia = Achaemenids in civ when the region has such a rich history.

I also wonder if we‘ll see both England and the UK. 60 civs is a lot, but 10 per era is Gilles fast as soon as we start dividing empires on the time line.

So far, I don't think we've seen even a whiff of the Tech 'Tree' (shrub? Matrix? Dodecahedron?) for the game. On the other hand, I don't remember anything about different Tech progression for different Factions, either.
I confess I rather like the Civ/EL system of having the identical Tech Progression but varying bonuses in the speed and ease with which you get certain Techs based on the Faction/Civ you are playing and what is happening to you your specific game, but while Civ VI's 'Eurekas' were a nod in that direction (it's still much too easy to research Techs without any bonus at all) I don't think we know yet exactly what they are doing in Humankind.

You are right, of course, that a bunch of 'technologies' were developed by the pastoral peoples First. Just for an obvious one, I'd have any Pastoral Civ/Faction start with Animal Husbandry or its equivalent instead of Agriculture. The early pastorals knew all about agriculture - Herodotus and the archeologists agree that the Scythians grew crops to some extent - but horse domestication and riding, the composite bow, the wheeled cart and chariot all seem to have started in the steppes, even if not all in exactly the same place. Bonuses for all of those to the Pastorals while the 'settled' farmers have to struggle to reach them would very accurately show rthe early and deadly difference between them.

Moderator Action: this post was copied to start a new thread about a Tech Tree Revision here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/tech-tree-revision.654732/

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom