Is Iron a war trigger?

Ninja2

Great Engineer
So I was trying out a 34 civ game last night, on a huge map with Better AI. Space was really tight and strategic resources scarce, but it was an interesting game. I was in the top for quite a while, but had a weak military, so I was kind of expecting someone to pounce on me at one point.

Well, on one turn I had six AI's declare on me!! Funny enough, this happened exactly after the turn I hooked up Iron. Iron had been in my territory for a while at a very small city with poor food, so I hadn't gotten around to hook it up. Also, in my mod Copper also allows swordsmen, so I didn't exactly need Iron for any particular units (I will later in the tech tree, though). If I survive, that is! :D

So my question is this: Is Iron some sort of trigger in the dll? The AI might see: "He now has Iron, he is dangerous, let's attack preemptively." Or is it just because I am behind? I haven't seen this degree of ganging up before, but this is also my first 34-civ game...

Taking resources from people is viewed as important.

The importance of each resource is coded into the XML files, it is not derived from how it is used.

So if you made iron less important, while not changing how important it was in the XML files, then the AI might be dog piling you because you have an important resource and lack the ability to defend it.

Resources have been added as one of the ways civs choose who to attack when they're looking for war. Still, with 6 declaring at once something is up ... my bet is that one or two bribed the rest to join. If you keep a save you can go back and check what warplan they're all using right after declaring war on you ... my bet is there are several using DOGPILE who are just joining in on the fun.

There don't even need to be any bribes involved actually, if the AI is looking to start a war it's easier for them to jump in on an existing one than start a new one. Also, if you're weak and have sizable territory then they will likely jump in on the strong side unless they like you.

I quickly looked through the XML, but can't seem to find anything about resources. Where is this info stored?

And how can I see what warplan they are on?

Top Bottom