Is "Islamaphobia" dangerous?

classical_hero

In whom I trust
I say no, but those who accuse people being that are the dangerous ones, especially when they refuse to critique the crimes of IS.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2014/10/islamophobia-strikes-again-british-union-of-students-refuses-to-condemn-isis/

As I have often said, the word and charge of ‘Islamophobia’ really is deadly. Today it is deadliest of all for the Kurds, the Christians, the Shia and the Yazidis of Iraq and Syria.

The fact that a notion condemning the acts of IS is considered Islamophobia just shows how useless the word really is and is basically a term used to shut down criticism of Islam.

The fact that a notion condemning the acts of IS is considered Islamophobia just shows how useless the word really is and is basically a term used to shut down criticism of Islam.

Who is saying that condemning IS is Islamophobia?

The weakness of the 'scary' interpretations of the Quran is their insistence that it's infallible. Once it becomes better understood that the prophets such as Adam, Noah, and Moses didn't really exist, it's harder and harder to maintain a one-track, dogmatic interpretation.

Who is saying that condemning IS is Islamophobia?

I once was called Islamophobic for not being sufficiently Pro-Palestine.

Thing is, one can be called Anti-[insert ethnic group here] for opposing anything associated with that particular ethnic group. Conversely, if opposition to anything that is associated with a certain ethnic/religious/national becomes so vitriolic, it is bound to cause legit racism. It is hardly limited to the Israeli-Palestinian and Islam either.

I think I've explored similar themes in the Anti-racist racism thread.

ISIS-supporters: Don't criticize us! Citicism against us is islamophobia!
Islamophobes: Don't criticize us! Criticism against us support ISIS!
Rest of the world: what have we ever done to deserve BOTH of you *headdesk*?

The fact you take a single instance and state your case is if it's a general perception just shows how weak your case really is. And it makes me wonder about your motivations for making it. Especially given your vocal dissatisfaction of criticism of your religion.

And I'm sure you'll take this comment as proof of how the word really is and is basically a term used to shut down criticism of Islam. To be quite clear, I'm criticizing hypocrisy. I believe Islam and Christianity are equally silly.

I think it's important to remember to separate the whack jobs from the normal folks. I work with a couple of Muslims and I certainly don't feel anything scary about them. Islam is not necessarily the problem, extremist fanaticism is the problem, and it's scary and ugly regardless of which religion is involved. Nowadays, in the year 2014, the biggest and most visible examples tend to be Muslim, but every form of faith has had it's turn at the plate. So I guess I'd say to practice "Fanaticphobia" instead of "Islamaphobia".

There's a difference, then, depending on the person being called an Islamaphobe. Those who are using the term to shut down anyone who has valid criticisms about the religion and how it is being practiced throughout the world are clearly in the wrong, CH actually has a point there. But there are also people who wrongly extrapolate the bad actions of one group of Muslims out to the whole Muslim population, and calling those folks Islamaphobes is not out of line at all, they are practicing textbook bigotry.

I believe that Fascism and Communism are equally silly! :cool:

ISIS-supporters: Don't criticize us! Citicism against us is islamophobia!
Islamophobes: Don't criticize us! Criticism against us support ISIS!
Rest of the world: what have we ever done to deserve BOTH of you *headdesk*?

So how do we deploy the Islamophobes against ISIS?

Remember CH. Whenever anybody calls you an Islamophobe you're on the right track. It means you are standing up against the true bigots. The person who calls you an Islamophobe is only projecting. You see he cannot stand any criticism of brown people, because in his heart he is racist as he doesn't believe brown people have agency and the ability to choose wrong from right. Instead of challenging this internally, he blurts out "muh muh rasism". In the mind of the smear-artist racist, brown people only react to what white people do. Brown people don't have their own agendas and are incapable of acts.

So how do we deploy the Islamophobes against ISIS?

I don't know, the headdesking from Quacker's latest post has caused me a massive headache and I can,t come up with a plan :(

Of course islamophobia is dangerous. And I can say this as someone quite biased against Islam. It encourages you to mistreat others for very poor reasons and to attack the wrong people, pretending they're proxies for your true enemies. It's okay to disparage a paradigm. The trick is to attack the real enemy instead of by-standers.

I say no, but those who accuse people being that are the dangerous ones, especially when they refuse to critique the crimes of IS.

I know the above post is going to get deleted, and that's unfortunate, because that's all you really need to take away from this OP. At no point has anybody submitted that anybody who criticizes IS is just being "islamophobic" and therefore needs to sit down. THis is a strawman c_h has drummed up to justify his actual islamophobia which includes outrage over ordinary Muslims living their lives and thereby infringing on his white, Western Protestant male privilege

I get the impression that people like CH operate under the assumption that the Middle East and the Muslim world in general are static unchanging places untouched by the forces of modernism and liberalism. They aren't and that is why there is such an extremist backlash.

I know the above post is going to get deleted, and that's unfortunate, because that's all you really need to take away from this OP. At no point has anybody submitted that anybody who criticizes IS is just being "islamophobic" and therefore needs to sit down. THis is a strawman c_h has drummed up to justify his actual islamophobia which includes outrage over ordinary Muslims living their lives and thereby infringing on his white, Western Protestant male privilege

Yeah that's just what this thread needed, talk of privilege. That picture you posted applies to sjws like you.

Not on this forum but the National Union of Students in the UK have.

That's basically the student wing of the Labour Party. Apparently the NUS have condemned UKIP and David Lammy but ISIS is beyond the pale :lol: Ahh lefty logic you amuse me so.

I get the impression that people like CH operate under the assumption that the Middle East and the Muslim world in general are static unchanging places untouched by the forces of modernism and liberalism. They aren't and that is why there is such an extremist backlash.

And you'd think that would be a plus in their books. :mischief:

What's the point of these threads? The far-right know they can't convince the liberals to hate and fear Muslims, while the liberals know the far-right are quite immune to reason.

Top Bottom