Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No? Then it might be a bug...

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by Vehem, Jul 19, 2009.

1. hbar

hbar Constant

Is the fire in Erebus magical? Certainly, the Fire I spell is, but that only creates smoke. Is the subsequent fire still magical? What about the raging, continent-wide forest fire 50 turns later? If every fire is magical, then yes, jungles should burn. If the spell is magic but the fire is mundane, then I don't think jungles should catch fire from adjacent burning tiles (Fire I is still okay, though).

Note that I'm not arguing for a gameplay change, just an exposition on the conflicting logic of physics and magic.

2. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

I'm playing with the commander system a bit and noticed that TXT_KEY_SPELL_JOIN_COMMANDER is used in the basic commander system, yet only exists in the Bannor module.

I'm guessing this would cause problems if anyone decides to remove the Bannor module from their game.

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

4. armyofwhispers

armyofwhispers Chieftain

Dude, a forest fire will burn everything until it runs out of fuel, or gets put out. This is essentially what a burning tile is. To say that fire should ignore some forms of fuel when it's not magical is just silly.

5. Machiosabre

Machiosabre Chieftain

ideally you'd have some sort of controlled fire in your own borders so you can burn jungles and such without getting smoke elementals

6. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Whenever a fall further only leader declares war on you, they don't say anything. There's just a blank text box.

7. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

Actually, forests are in general pretty resistant to being burned. The reason for this is that forests that catch fire easily tend to burn down, so they aren't around.

It takes somewhat unusual conditions, like drought, to create a forest fire, and then it burns out in at most a few weeks.

8. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Or Fire Mana :lol:

9. armyofwhispers

armyofwhispers Chieftain

To start a fire, this is true, but once a forest fire is going it most often gets put out by a change of wind pushing it back to where there is no fuel left to burn. After it's going, drought conditions merely increase the serverity and speed of the blaze. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if extremely dry areas burned out faster than ones with some latent moisture, simply because a wet fire smolders and sticks around for much longer.

10. Treason

Treason Chieftain

Sooo...let me get this strait.

We're talking about a source of fire spawned by arcane energies, that, when practiced enough, could be shaped to form a globe of burning flame large enough to decimate city walls and turn groups of soldiers and their weapons into ash and melted iron, and at it's peak, form living beings of pure, horrific flame..

..And we're wondering if it can cause a forest to catch on fire and stay on fire?

11. armyofwhispers

armyofwhispers Chieftain

Just to make my position clear I'm arguing that it can :crazyeye:

12. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Two casts of fire 1's smoke in the same tile should cause a fire. /thread.

Discuss.

13. armyofwhispers

armyofwhispers Chieftain

Starting a fire in two different areas is a much better way of starting a fire than just starting one place and hoping it catches. Twice the chance of developing into a fire.

Another way of looking at it is the second cast boosts the intensity of a fire, much like blowing on coals will get them flaming...

Either way a second cast should upgrade to fire.

14. far_wanderer

far_wanderer Prince

As of patch A, the College of Theology still "cannot be built by any civilization".

15. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

Donal Lugh recruiter ability that he and every commander has appears to be bugged, when he uses it it seems he gets two times more troops then he should, he just got 10 units from a 13 pop city, when a normal commander does it they would get 5.

16. Merddyn

Merddyn Scholar of the Arcane

Problem with the whole fire thing is that, well, tiles with fires in them, as I recall, are impassable for units... And therefore, more importantly, can't be created on a tile with a unit on them. Thus, casting fire on the tile twice would logically have a slight problem with that.

Now, granted, the last I checked that was several versions ago, but it was still the case. Now, I would say that perhaps you can have it work like the spring spell which extinguishes flames in adjacent tiles, in that it turns smoke in adjacent tiles to flames.

17. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Recruiter gives twice as many units in cities which have a temple of the order, that is probably what you are seeing Grimz.

It appears that the fix for the College and the related schools never quite made it off my harddrive. I actually merged the change back out of my own code after I fixed it, but claimed it was all better in notes to the team :blush: I'm used to playing in the DLL and assuming all the differences in the XML were caused by other people :)

18. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

It's been this way since FFH. I've always thought that the tooltip, rather than the spell, was bugged. If it gave as few troops as it says it should, I don't think it would ever be worth using.

My vote is to change what it says it does, to match what it actually does. Rather than changing the function.

19. stupidnewbie

stupidnewbie Warlord

Getting a werewolf from the Foxford event doesn't make it ravenous or bloodied or anything. Using said werewolf on, say, a wolf, can then make a werewolf wolf, who then dies of redundancy. And from only having one combat strength.

20. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

is it intentional that the divided soul UU cannot carry hawks?