1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a turn off?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by henyo10, Aug 10, 2008.

1. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

I get turned off when I play civs that are extinct such as the Aztecs and Carthagians especially during the modern era where they don't fit in. How bout you?

2. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

One of the things that makes the Civilization series fun and unique is playing long-dead civs and essentially rewriting history. That's kinda one of the main points of the game.

3. Arms Longfellow

Arms Longfellow Warlord

Well isn't it just as weird to play as say, the Americans during the medieval times?

4. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Yes i have always found it strange to found chicago in 700 bc, but not a turn off.

5. RasmCiv

RasmCiv Warlord

i dont think so. btw, who wanna be inca if u just get the message

"the spanish have captured your civ. goodbye"

6. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

@Arms Longfellow

Yeah also got turned off from playing america in the medieval ages

@topic

The civs that really inspire me a bit to play are the English or the French since they experience all time periods and they are still a powerhouse up to today.

7. LiddellHart

LiddellHart Chieftain

Hmm, English and French in 4000 BC? That begs for a sarcastic remark (European, aren't you).

I agree with the rewriting history thing: Peoples as the Inca's as nuclear powers is one of the big charms of this games, IMO.

8. NovaDream

NovaDream Chieftain

I only find it strange when it's me playing one of those long gone civilizations. Then I feel slightly inadequate :mischief:. But when it's an AI controlling one of those civs, it's easier for me to stomach as an alternate reality, "what if the Aztecs made it?", type thing. Just on a personal level, but I don't find it a turn off.

9. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Well, I enjoy space racing against Hannibal - because he's good at it.

But I appreciate that ahistorical things can harm your sense of immersion and ruin your fun- like airships attacking your privateers.

I guess you should try medieval starts and hand pick your civs.

Or you could limit your ancient start games to China and India duels, or throw in Egypt and Greece. That way it wouldn't matter who survived into modern times.

10. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Czar

One of my favorite Civ 3 games was rolling over Spanish riflemen in my Mayan tanks. I do kind of miss the Civ 3 feature where the leaders dressed differently in different ages, it was funny to see Lincoln in a fur hat or Hannibal in a suit.

11. braindrain

braindrain brainiac

my very first space race victory in civ 4 was with the vanilla incans
    all day i marched around shouting 'incans in sppaaaaaaaccceee' in a deep bravado voice hehe. had fun and annoyed my friends.

imo it is the best part about the game.
    all them modern civs are boring anyway hehehe

12. ChuckDizzle

ChuckDizzle Warlord

I hear the BTS's Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod takes that into account, i.e. Civs wax and wane over historical time periods.

13. unclethrill

unclethrill Why am I up right now?

Not sure how many people would call the French a "powerhouse" right now. At least not militarily. I guess they have lots of nuclear power plants so they are a powerhouse after all.

14. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

Why do I have a feeling that the most of that comment was derived from politically inaccurate French references?

15. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Yes, I really enjoyed those.

For that matter, i prefered the CIV III Hannibal leaderhead.

Clearly France is a world power. It's one of the few nations with a nuclear aircraft carrier that carriers jets, sattellites in space, and about 300 nuclear warheads. That's a dangerous combination.

16. braindrain

braindrain brainiac