1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it cheating?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Rout, Oct 21, 2002.

?

What should be allowed?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2002.
  1. Black clicking? sure man

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No, black clicking sounds dodgy & is cheating

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Re-homing caravans is okay

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. That's silly you can't rehome them!!

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Charging settlers is fine.

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  6. No, charging settlers is wrong, kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Working out resouces is good strategy.

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  8. Finding the resouce pattern spoils the game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The trade calculation is just that, not a cheat.

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  10. The use of the calculator is bad for you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. There's something else.....see my post

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

Chofritz (Wellcome! :goodjob: ) has brought to our attention (well, to those who were previously ignorant) a method of "black clicking" to find out what sort of terrain lies beyond the black fog.
    The details are here: =http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=552322#post552322]

Should we do this? Will it spoil the game (exploration will be completely different imo)

While we are on the subject, should we use starlifters scheme to work out the lie of resources (this is hard not to do once you know how)?

Should we re-home caravans (an action not intended to be possible in the game design)?

Should we charge settlers (im not sure this is cheating at all)?

Should we use the trade calculator to er.. calculate trade (personally I think the time spent doing this, plus the effort sending the caravan by the correct route justifys it's use).

2. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I assumed we'd be following the same rules as for the GOTM listed here

As for settler charging I've been using that already!

3. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

I voted that black-clicking was a no-no but that all the others were fine. You aren't allowed to change the home city of caravans on the PS as Rout said earlier, but for those who are used to doing this then fine. I've played with the resource map for so long now that it always influences my play. I always forest or plains those grasslands that hide the specials and it is now a part of my game. I wouldn't lose if I was unable to convert these squares but I still like to do it. :)

4. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I'll mention it here as well:
    It is possible to find the exact location of Roskilde by clicking on every square in the area and see which one doesn't get centered. This is the square where the city is. I assume this is just as bad as black clicking, and I voted against it.:)

5. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Flicking through Primas Strategy Guide for ToT last night I spotted a trick for increasing trade from caravans/freights. Just before your caravan enters the destination city you go to the home city and max out on trade arrows. Once the caravan is delivered you move all your workers back to where they were.

Do we want to do this?

6. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

I don't see why not. :)

Edit: This is just an extensions of calculating the trade value. I don't consider it cheating. I consider it a good economic sense.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

This has generally been considered a micro-management technique for quite some time. It's one of those things that every civ player should now about, just like IPRB. :)

8. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Its one of those things that makes sense but I will probably have forgotten by the time I play Civ 2 again.

[Note]This does not mean I will never play Civ again, just that the next time I play I will have forgotten that you can reassign trade arrows and then move them back...

9. Becka

Becka M AS IN MARTINI

If we just HAPPEN to accidentally find a city like this, I don't think we should penalize ourselves. ;) However, we shouldn't seek out cities by black clicking (like if we think we know the approximate location of a city.)