Is it fair to take oversized baggage as carryons to avoid the fee?

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
If you check your big bag as you are supposed to you will be charged around $40.

If you carry it through security, the will offer or even demand to check your bag, but it will be free.

Once you learn this power, is it ethical to build it into your plans?

ps keep the secret.

If you check your big bag as you are supposed to you will be charged around $40.

If you carry it through security, the will offer or even demand to check your bag, but it will be free.

ps keep the secret.

Most airlines here won't let you take oversized luggage as hand baggage.
Hand baggage is limited to 1 small suitcase (that will fit in the overhead locker) and 1 backpack/handbag. Thats enough for a few days though.

ps keep the secret.
I do not see that how you deal with the airline rules is something that overlaps with ethics. Do not try it around here though, the airlines use the perverse rules about baggage to gouge more money out of you if they possibly can.

I just brought a humongous bag on the plane, so big it wouldn’t fit the overhead. Now I get to check it for free and pick it up plane-side instead of in baggage claim.

I just brought a humongous bag on the plane, so big it wouldn’t fit the overhead. Now I get to check it for free and pick it up plane-side instead of in baggage claim.

They'd charge you for it at check in and put it in the hold here.
Germany is really strict. I once had to stuff my mum's handbag in my backpack because they wouldn't let her on with a handbag and a shoulder bag.

Every legal mechanism to make flying less pleasant or economical should be used in order to drive down its footprint

Prior to the "invention" of the flying bus, air travel was expensive and mostly for the rich. But ever since the 80s it has become ubiquitous and available to all. Making it more expensive again is likely to raise the cry of "elitism" and denial of our human right to travel freely.

Good, fast rail all across the country would certainly be one path to help.

Prior to the "invention" of the flying bus, air travel was expensive and mostly for the rich. But ever since the 80s it has become ubiquitous and available to all. Making it more expensive again is likely to raise the cry of "elitism" and denial of our human right to travel freely.

Good, fast rail all across the country would certainly be one path to help.

Every time I fly for leisure, I'm literally making the Future Poor more poor. I don't think we realize how much damage we do in all of our thinking "yeah, but what *I* do is justified". Plus, if I help make flying more unattainable, it helps give a price-advantage to rail!

[honestly, I'm being a little silly. I have no personal solutions to the dilemma, because I also think that making flying accessible is a Human Good as well, despite its opportunity cost]

Last edited:
Most airlines here won't let you take oversized luggage as hand baggage.
Hand baggage is limited to 1 small suitcase (that will fit in the overhead locker) and 1 backpack/handbag. Thats enough for a few days though.

Most of the time, they won't meticulously check the size of your bag, so everybody will push the limit of what is allowed and then struggle to put comically oversized bags into the overhead locker. And if they do check, it is usually too late for the regular check-in, and they will find some place for it.

You have every incentive to get away with not checking anything in: You can arrive later at the airport, it does not cost as much, your baggage won't be lost and you can leave the destination airport earlier. So it is only fair that people behave that way. There is only so much altruism you can expect of someome.

Every time I fly for leisure, I'm literally making the Future Poor more poor. I don't think we realize how much damage we do in all of our thinking "yeah, but what *I* do is justified". Plus, if I help make flying more unattainable, it helps give a price-advantage to rail!
In recent years the US airlines have employed about 600,000 FTE as an annual average. In addition, tourist air travel employs many millions around the world. So if you reduce air travel now by 50%, huge numbers of people lose their jobs and income to preserve the environmental future. Short term thinking usually prevails.

"...And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action....."

The well off will pay more without complaint and build yet higher the wall between the haves and the have nots. It comes down to one's goals. What one wants to prioritize now and who will pay and suffer lifestyle change. The pandemic has shown us the income cost of reduced travel all across the world. Which is more important? Jobs now? The environment? Can we have both? It is a Sophie's choice?

Most of the time, they won't meticulously check the size of your bag, so everybody will push the limit of what is allowed and then struggle to put comically oversized bags into the overhead locker. And if they do check, it is usually too late for the regular check-in, and they will find some place for it.

You have every incentive to get away with not checking anything in: You can arrive later at the airport, it does not cost as much, your baggage won't be lost and you can leave the destination airport earlier. So it is only fair that people behave that way. There is only so much altruism you can expect of someome.

The budget airlines especially seem quite strict here, probably because its an excuse to charge people extra.
Doesn't bother me, I prefer to travel as light as possible.

One could reduce the choices available: reduce the size of the overhead bins by 50% and keep the carry on bag count to 2 small items. Less convenient, more expensive. Then airlines could create a premium baggage service for those willing to pay even more to have baggage issues handled by others. :D

We could have both jobs and an environment, but the wealthy would rather employ people to be their servants than employ people to build the future.

We use tourism to transfer hard Capital around the world, but bringing me a Mai Tai is probably the least productive use of someone's time that I can think of

We could have both jobs and an environment, but the wealthy would rather employ people to be their servants than employ people to build the future.

We use tourism to transfer hard Capital around the world, but bringing me a Mai Tai is probably the least productive use of someone's time that I can think of
The rich spending on servants is not much of what they have. they could do both, but building for the future is hard and maybe risky. Traveling to the Maldives and getting lunch delivered at the beach is easier and more to their liking. We make building the future too difficult so few do it.

IMO from ethical point of view, the only thing you should worry about is inconvenience of other passengers, who may not get enough space for their baggage.
Otherwise, if it's ok by airline rules, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes, we've arranged for Sophie's Choice. But, it's a false dilemma

Oh man you are being generous. It doesn't count as Sophie's Choice when we don't think it's going to be our kid.

In recent years the US airlines have employed about 600,000 FTE as an annual average. In addition, tourist air travel employs many millions around the world. So if you reduce air travel now by 50%, huge numbers of people lose their jobs and income to preserve the environmental future. Short term thinking usually prevails.

"...And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action....."

The well off will pay more without complaint and build yet higher the wall between the haves and the have nots. It comes down to one's goals. What one wants to prioritize now and who will pay and suffer lifestyle change. The pandemic has shown us the income cost of reduced travel all across the world. Which is more important? Jobs now? The environment? Can we have both? It is a Sophie's choice?
We have to somehow find a solution that involves neither unsustainable burning of fossil fuels and mass poverty. Air travel based tourism is a low hanging fruit.
One could reduce the choices available: reduce the size of the overhead bins by 50% and keep the carry on bag count to 2 small items. Less convenient, more expensive. Then airlines could create a premium baggage service for those willing to pay even more to have baggage issues handled by others. :D
On Ryan Air I think you have to pay extra to use the overhead bins. Basic is one piece of hand luggage that fits under the seat in front of you.

Air travel based tourism is a low hanging fruit.
More of it to spread wealth worldwide, or less to preserve the environment? Maybe only allow the rich to travel?

Top Bottom