is it just me or does a game of Civ 5 take a REALLY long time?

dodgerphreak

Chieftain
Just what the title says. I used to be able to play a game of Civ 4 on normal speed in 2-3 days, usually taking between 10-15 hours per game. Now with Civ 5, I've been playing the same game on normal speed since Wednesday when I bought the game and I'm only on turn 300. According to Steam, I've played Civ 5 for 23 hours so far, all on the same game..

Maybe its just me, but Civ 5 seems like a REALLY long game. Thoughts?

So far it's taken me no longer than Civ4, but I suspect difficulty level comes into play. Game 1 - settler , won unexpectedly on diplo in a day; game 2 - chieftan took longer to win on space race; Game 3 I'm on warlord and should win on culture in about 30-40 more turns -- and that is with buying a total of 3 social policies in trees that aren't being finished off, I'd be done if I never strayed.

I AM noticing though that the Civs turns are taking a LOT longer with all those city-states

Yes. I initially started on Epic, it really was EPIC. Since then I've played on normal, feels like a good pace for me.

Civ V has really less micromanagement than Civ IV but dunno why it takes really a lot to play a game.

I suspect that's related to the fact you can't raze cities, this way is kinda a never ending war

I hope modders will remove this mistake once for ever

It does seem to take longer, my first game on huge with normal pace has taken 20+ hours. I'm positive that civ 4 games with the same settings, well as similar as they can be, wasn't taking this long.

That's not a fact. You can raze cities that were not built by you, were no original capital, and were no city state. Yes wars can be a drag if you don't think before starting one.

I just meant capitols and city states. That force you to manage a city on the opposite site of the continent so hundreds tiles away , this is outrageous for me that I like to keep all my cities under a single umbrella.

This let you waste hours of real time to take care of that useless piece of crap.

If I ignore the conquered capitol the enemy take it again so I can't leave where it is.

Do you have any suggestion to fix that ?

It would be really appreciated

Yes. I could beat immortal civ IV in under 2 hours sometimes. That simply is not possible on standard maps in V...too much turn lag, too many unit commands, a bajillion popups that block end turn or require enough attention to avoid ending turn, etc. Even with full worker automation it's ludicrously slow.

Large/Marathon is an exercise in tedium at times. I have yet to make it past 500AD in any of the 3 games that I've tried. Usually by 500AD I'm tired of dealing with the constant unhappiness, or lack of gold due to having to buy so many happiness buildings.

I may switch to Standard/Epic for my next game. Which is a shame, because in Civ4 I loved spending an entire week or two on a single Marathon/Huge/Tectonics map. Usually took me 24-36 hours to play from start to finish and I enjoyed it. (Few hours here, few hours there...)

Oh its TMIT, long time no see. ^^

And yes for the same speed Civ5 games are taking me about twice as long. My first game was about 9 hours long, while a similar game in Civ4 would have been wrapped in 3-4 hours.

i started a new marathon game and played it for about 3 hours and got to turn 300. it must differ based on your computer. my turn times are pleasantly fast.

Definitely longer for me. Most of my Civ4 games were 3-8 hours. In Civ5 I've played 1 1/2 games over 16 hours and one of those games has been VERY peaceful...only one war and that didn't last more than 10 turns (I got crushed)

I really like the length now. A marathon game is just awesome. I however did make it upto 1300 ad in about 20 hours on marathon and destroying 5 civs in the process.

BTW Do not put your workers on auto. They will sit there on occasion taking the same tile and switching it between trading post and farm, atleast they have with me in several games.

The fact that the AI turns take 5 times as long as mine sometimes does tend to stretch out the game.

Part of it is the loong turns. But the gameplay develops slower too, which I like. I started on Civ II, and that took a very long time, 30 plus hours to finish a game. Civ III also took very long, just like that. Then Civ IV basically made history a race, which I wasnt a huge fan of.

I like the slower longer game, that develops over a few days. That I can go about my real life, and daydream over how Im going to solve it.

... a bajillion popups that block end turn ...

Quoted for truth. Why do I need to see the city-state missions before ending my turn when I saw the message when it dumped in at the start of the turn? Same goes for completing them.

Quoted for truth. Why do I need to see the city-state missions before ending my turn when I saw the message when it dumped in at the start of the turn? Same goes for completing them.

You can right-click those alerts when they hit that blue queue bar and skip them. But your point is well taken. Its super annoying that they hit that queue at all. Let them stay optional spheres on the side that fade out after a second, rather than queuing them to be dismissed.

And that bar really does need to change color between processing and signaling next turn. Its easy to miss that prompt to hit next turn again.

Yes it does. I played Civ4 on standard, but I will only ever play Civ V on quick.

Top Bottom