1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or does the AI rarely takes over other civs?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Wumper, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

I noticed troughout my games that the it's rare for the AI to capture a lot of cities. I've seen the AI take cities here or there but I've never seen it take over major parts of the world or entirely eliminate others. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Happens often enough for me, though it's usually only one civ that does this in a game and they usually start suffering quite a bit from unhappiness after their conquering spree.
    In fact, I often times feel like they conquer more than is necessary and should rather go for vassalization a bit sooner; that would also help with their happiness problems.

3. Bhawb

Bhawb Chieftain

Last game Mongolia took over the entirety of Russia and a significant chunk of Ottoman before stalling in wars against the remaining other players. I think more of it has to do with how comparatively difficult conquering cities is paired with AI "decision making" regarding diplomatic costs, how good the cities are, etc.

I'd guess you not seeing it much has more to do with either the settings you play on, or the lack of aggressive civs. Throw Zulu, Mongolia, Huns, etc. in a game and there will be no lack of backstabbing and city conquering.

4. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

I see backstabbing and wars, just rarely any results. Taking cities is harder and in general and the AI is better at handling the 1 unit per turn system in VP. From my experience defending is usually much easier than attacking, for various reasons. Maybe the AI just can't attack as well as it can defend, combine that with some terrain bottlenecks and wars grind to a halt pretty soon.

vyyt likes this.
  5. cammcken

cammcken Chieftain

I see the steamrollers build their momentum by capturing a few cities, peacing out, declaring after the truce runs out, taking a few more, and so on. Eliminating the civ completely is rarely worth it due to the agressive expansion warmonger penalties.

6. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

Even for human players, capturing entire empire is not a great idea. It is very easy to overestimate your capability (high happiness, well-developed cities). However, as time goes by. You are more susceptible to suffer from huge unhappiness spike as you have more smaller, not-so-easy-to-develop cities.

As @civplayer33 mentions vassalization. I would add that not only do they hold lands for you, they also provide defensive forces, pay taxes, so on. From my experience, vassals rarely rebel and provide nice bonus. Also, you're unlikely to hold many lands all by yourself given how difficulty it is to manage happiness, for a vast empire. Vassals are essential if you want to do a world conquest.

7. Valvts

Valvts A Plant

In my opinion cities have too much defense in the current version. Almost impossible to take a city if you are the same or lower tech as your rival. You must have one unit more advanced than his at least.

Bascule2000 and vyyt like this.