[R&F] Is it just me, or have the AIs forgotten how to build culture?

weregamer

Gandhi of the Mongols
Since either R&F or maybe the patch, it's ludicrous how little tourism the AIs generate. If any of them have ever gone for a cultural victory, they've been inept, including the ones that should be powerhouses like France. If I don't disable culture victory on the difficulty I've been playing forevcer (Prince, as I hate cheating in either direction as a "difficulty" factor), I will win one by default just by buiding useful wonders and time passing.

I don't mean to be too derogatory here, but in my experience the AI can't really do much of anything but Religion on the Prince level (Culture, War, Infrastructure, Economy, etc.). I realize that everyone has a different skill set, but you're pretty much guaranteed to win the game one way or another as long as you don't make any catastrophic blunders just by playing and time passing vs. Prince.

But I will concede the possibility that it has gotten worse at Tourism/Culture.

The AI is not particularly competent with culture in general, but it's really noticeable at Prince level. I play King typically but I've gotten to the point where I still find it too easy to win a culture victory, even with Mvemba and Pericles in the game, however going up one level in difficulty still makes the beginning of the game a bit too hard for my taste.

I really hate that I don't see Egypt or France building wonders - I will say that.

Yea. Must be the shift in tech pace, but almost all my R&F victories are culture.

I was playing as Korea and had to race to beat my own impending culture victory (wanted to get the ‘Man on the Moon’ achievement). Without doing anything too special other than building theater districts, I was able to get pretty much every great WAM. Maybe the AI just doesn’t know how to build great people? The only AI civ that’s ever beaten me to a writer was Russia (stupid Lavras...)

I actually lost to a cultural victory by the Cree the other day. I was one turn away from a science victory, was not amused. That was on emperor though. And obviously I should have paid better attention.

Sounds like you mean tourism, not culture. In my current game AI is building archaeological museums and art museums all over the place.

Sounds like you mean tourism, not culture. In my current game AI is building archaeological museums and art museums all over the place.

My biggest issue is that it's pretty damn easy to chop your way to most wonders you want, especially with Magnus. I don't think Magnus is especially OP outside of his ability to chop Wonders to completion with ease, he should not be able to affect wonders... The AI doesn't seem to take advantage of this, at least on King. I also am unimpressed by China which doesn't seem to go after the early wonders despite practically getting them for free. I've also been unimpressed by Egypt and France which haven't proven effective at building wonders in the eras they benefit most from... It's kind of annoying, in part because I find the difference between King and Emperor to be particularly drastic.

Top Bottom