1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it just me, or is this game ALOT like Civ II?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Illusion13, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Illusion13

Illusion13 King

Like, almost identical, well, except graphics, and some twists here and there...

Actually, I find it impossible to expand in this game...

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

And that Alpha Centauri wastes Civ.

3. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

SMAC is more unlike CivII than it is like it. The similarities come in that they are both TBS games, and as in all TBS games some aspects will be alike.

4. The Person

The Person Deity +2

You're right, SMAC is mostly like Civ2 in space. But it contains quite few features that set it aside from Civ2.

5. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

It's just you.

6. One Man Bucket

One Man Bucket Chieftain

- SMAC has greatly expanded diplomacy.
    - You can design your own units which have many more different abilities than the ones in civ2 had (and this goes a lot futher than ust the new mind abilities).
    - The whole map is quite different and you can change the map in many more ways than you could in civ2 (raising and lowering land to give just one example).
    - The factions are quite different from the old civilizations.
    - You have borders now so the AI can no longer place one of his cities between yours. Placing a city in the center of your enemies territory always seemed a very poor choice to me, the city would be toast as soon as war would break out.
    - Better AI.

SMAC isn't all that much like civ2, civ3 and both ctp variants are, at least in my opinion, a lot more like civ2. And that isn't so surprising either since those games started from the same point of view as civ2. In smac you have a new planet and you can do more new things since you have no need to follow earths history.

7. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

SMAC and CivII are both TBS games. Other than that, there's little similarity.

8. Alexnm

Alexnm King

actually, there are lots of similarities. you have to found cities (civ2) or bases (SMAC) where you can build city improvements (civ2) or base facilities (SMAC).

in both games you can build wonders that give a boost to your nation (they're called "secret projects" in SMAC).

your units are built in a city/base and are supported by that city/base. the free support available in each city/base depends upon your government type (or social engineering in SMAC).

- civ2 has goody huts. SMAC has supply pods from the Unity.

- in every city/base, three resources are generated: food/nutritions, shields/minerals and gold/energy.

i'd say there are more similarities than differences, though the differences really set SMAC apart from any other TBS game on the market.

9. Terje

Terje The Red Semi-Menace

It would be weird if the two games were completely different. Of course they are similar; they have the same designer! Or something...

10. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

It is oh so much more than Civ2. It has a soul, greater personality, far more numerous options and customisation, superior opponents, diplomacy and combat and best of all it is a superb sci-fi Universe rather than a fragile mimickry of Earth.

That said, I've played hundreds (thousands?) more hours of civ2 than SMAC, Civ2 being the more addictive game.

11. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

You could say that SMAC was the next evolutionary step of the genre. THat explains the similarities but also why SMAC is a superior game. Unfortunately a lot of that evolution was dropped in Civ 3.

12. bkwrm79

bkwrm79 Prince

Sure, there are a lot of similarities... which helps explains why I love them both... but they're different enough I usually have them both installed. Been playing Civ III lately, which has stuff Alpha Centauri lacks, but there are advantages to Alpha Centauri too.

I'd love an AC II.

13. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

Good Idea.

14. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

Me too. Brian, why did you have to leave Firaxis for those souless RTS microsoft games ? :cry:

15. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

I've always been of the opinion that SMAC is Civilization 2.5 set in the future.