Is it just me or was 1.22 a step backwards for Conquests?

bob rulz

Prince
They screwed up the Industrial Age tech tree, then there's the Forbidden Palace thing (bug?) then there's the sub bug (did that come before or with 1.22?) I really don't see much of an improvement with the 1.22 patch. Does anybody else?

Whether the changes to the Industrial tech tree was a "screw up" is open to debate.

The sub bug has been in all versions of C3C.

The Forbidden Palace works perfectly in C3C 1.22, as far as you know. What "thing" are you refering to.

The sub bug was before 1.22.

If the tech tree change is a screw up is really open to debate, it has some merits, but the worse thing is that pre 1.22 saves no longer work with it.

I complain about the possibility that 1.22 is the FINAL patch for Conquests.

Come on, Firaxis, I want fixed subs, armies, broken Scientific GA and well - see the list. No new features, just make those that are in WORK!

Otherwise I will be terribly disappointed and wait for someone to sell Civ4 on eBay. :p

Of course, there are still a lot of bugs in 1.22 which need to be fixed, but I think there was no major one added with the last patch.

They improved PBEM security whilst creating a patch where the standard game was still playable...

I haven't tried 1.22 yet. I'm thinking of getting it after my current game, but what are the changes to the tech tree, and what is the Forbidden Palace thing mentioned in the first post?

Hmm. Your list has 2 fixes and a bug that was always a bug. :confused:

OK, I checked the Civ3 patch thread, so I'll download it once my current game is over. Don't bother answering my earlier questions. :)

I kept hearing rumors that the FP was always screwed up-that it wouldn't work, that it would just eliminate corruption in the city that it's in.

Maybe I'm just hallucinating again. I haven't actually tested this theory out yet...........But anyway I think Firaxis should have spent more time fixing the numerous bugs that are still there instead of just messing around with the tech tree...I mean, it wasn't reall screwed up, per se, but they could have spent their time doing more necessary things.

The FP now works like Firaxis intends it too. It is different than it used to be, but not broken.

Changing the tech tree didn't require one of their programmers to look at it at all (and probably wasn't). Anyone who doesn't like this can undo it themselves with a few minutes work.

There are still bugs, though. The only ones that bother me are the subs, army, and barbs bugs (since I haven't felt the need to do a SGA since the early beta, I never noticed when it stopped working).

getting rid of ring city placement was the best feature of C3C, I can not agree.

Whats wrong with armies? Do you mean how the AI can not use them? Also, I agree that the Forbidden Palace changes were very good.

Allemand said:
The Forbidden Palace was ruined, in my opinion. It's another example of taking something away.
Longasc said:
getting rid of ring city placement was the best feature of C3C, I can not agree.
This is a separate subject. The elimination of RCP has nothing to do with the reduction in the FP's power and the reduced options for its placement.

Complaints about RCP pretty much triggered Firaxis to look at changing how the FP worked. Indirectly, it was the caused of the current change.

warpstorm said:
Complaints about RCP pretty much triggered Firaxis to look at changing how the FP worked. Indirectly, it was the caused of the current change.
Even that isn't quite true. A bug in the RCP fix which broke how the FP worked, followed by screwups in fixing the bug caused Firaxis to change that area. There is no an an inherent relationship though. The two subjects did not even involve the same lines of code though they were near each other. (For those wondering how I can say that, I have seen the relevant section of code.)

And the FP part of the change was done after significant discussion in the community with a strong majority stating they didn't want that change. It was done after and independantly of the RCP fix.

And if they didn't attempt to fix RCP in the first place, they wouldn't have made the bug that screwed up multiple times causing them to consider rewriting it to something that is less exploitable (and less fun, IMHO).

warpstorm said:
There are still bugs, though. The only ones that bother me are the subs, army, and barbs bugs (since I haven't felt the need to do a SGA since the early beta, I never noticed when it stopped working).

I agree that these are the most irritating of the remaining bugs but i can't help but feel sorry for the newbie that keeps trying to use his SGL to initiate a documented feature.

Perhaps now that 'Complete' is coming out, they will complete the patching of the game as well... maybe... if we're lucky... if they even care a little.

Oh, come on, guys, if Civilization weren't the best game on the planet you wouldn't care about it enough to write these posts, this Web site wouldn't be here, and we would all be out rocking the vote and getting some much-needed excercise... on second thought, maybe Firaxis does *too* good of a job!

For the record, anything that encourages cookie-cutter game plans like RCP is horrid and should be eradicated. Thumbs up Firaxis :thumbsup:

Now if only we could have an AI that knew how to use ML's and armies effectively - I can live without the subs, they can't really model submarine warrafe without allowing units from more than one nation to occupy the same tile, a level of complexity best left to games like Harpoon - this game would be as perfect as I would dare wish for!

warpstorm said:
Ok, quick questions:
SGA means?
What is the army bug?

Top Bottom