1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IS it just me whos seeing no topics?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Vague, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Vague

Vague Chieftain

subject says it all

2. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

You are not alone... We still have some problems with the Civ3 General and Civ3 Strategy forums. I have emailed my host about it.

Maybe this topic will show up if I make it sticky...

3. Sodapop

Sodapop Teh pop in teh can

No thread appears to me, but I can still access the first one in the list by clicking on the spot on the right of the main page of the forum. And making it sticky didn't help, or maybe you didn't do it before my post. So it's just the list of thread that doesn't appear. At least for me.

4. SGX

SGX Chieftain

Search works correctly for this forum anyway...but what use if you can't see the thread titles/subjects in the first place lol

Did you guys try to upgrade or modify the (forum) files in any way?

Seems that way.

5. SGX

SGX Chieftain

While we can talk at least in this topic...allow me to rant...
    elite cavalry, full healt attacks a regular spearman, on grassland, not fortified

The calculator says I have a 98% chance of kicking his ass

Civ3 however, makes my cavalry die without even giving him a scratch :/

6. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

That means there is a 1/50 chance you will die. If it was across a river, the odds are 1/25. I play all the time and rarely see such events, which of course is exactly what 1/50 means. Hopefully, you didn't base all your plans on the outcome of a single combat result.

The unexpected happens in real life occassionally, and happens in Civ3, too. Somebody forgets to lock the armory, and disaster results. Just be thankful they can't steal your rifles. In Colonization, they would be upgraded to Cavalry and be coming at you with your own weapons.

Next time, trying bombarding him first.

7. Salvor

Salvor Warlord

Seems to be some kind of bug in the forum. Somebody must have uploaded a change without fully testing it first. I see no threads except the skicky's, and this message appears at the top of the page:

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/forums.civfanatics.com/admin/db_mysql.php on line 154

8. rangers85

rangers85 Official Thread Killer

And I thought it was all me. View New Posts works fine though. I've been troubleshooting for a while, cleared my cache, set no cookies, etc.

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Minister of salty snacks

Well, even a truncated Civ III forum is better than none at all. Apolyton's site has been down for days, so at least we're still able to keep that big Civ III conga line moving here.

10. SGX

SGX Chieftain

Zachriel I understand that... unfortunately, when war does happen in civ3, it's quite often at a bad time is it not? :)
    So I usually have to start pumping out units from my top cities for around 20/30 turns to build my offensive up... usually works well.

But this was just a straggler enemy spearman going around busting up my irrigation etc.. I didn't want to actually divert a substantial amount of my force to deal with a minor nuance like that... one elite cavalry should be enough :(

However... the English, although a powerful nation (although not anymore :D ) have a whole bunch of spearmen, swordmen etc...

I do note the 'random' effect more often during a war when there is a lot more battles going on... at times a few cavalry will do no damage, while the next will defeat the same enemy with ease...it's just kinda weird.

I'd expect that maybe the first two would soften him up at least, allowing the third to finish the hurt defender off..

But the first two do no damage, then the third does all the damage... it's inconsistent, and feels like I'm gambling on every move... takes away the tactical aspect, where superior unit manuevering, allocation etc is screwed over for the random effect.

I'd be happy if they lowered a notch or two... unfortunately I could not find this item in the editor...

11. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

As long as you set the forum to only show the day's or the last two day's posts it seems to work fine. Either there is something in the database screwing up the grabbing of older threads, or those commands are not getting processed correctly. But since I am only interested in the new posts, that conveniently solves the problem for me (of course have to make sure to check the forum each day as well :) ).

12. Phantis86

Phantis86 Chieftain

Only a few come up, then when I click for the next page all that shows up on them are the Forum Rules.

I have only noticed it in this forum though.

13. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

Ok, since the general discussion forum part is still down, maybe dannyevilcat might just be lurking around here ;)

Anyway, if you read this, dannyevilcat. Your Perry Class Frigate's animation is now completed. I have already post it under the Completed Modpack section and you can download it from this link.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13178

Happy New Year !!
    [party] :beer:

14. narmox

narmox Emperor

Just saw that movie yesterday... I guess that's the same movie the Firaxians saw before deciding to disable Air Superiority for the human player :lol:

When we'll get scenario-making ability, I hope there'll be an option "disable air superiority until x turns" ;) :lol:

15. RallyK

RallyK Chieftain

SGX: That is definitely some tough luck. I didn't even think that was possible, having never had it happen to me. Sure I have terrible results from time to time, but usually my cavalry will withdraw before it actually dies when it attacks a unit with movement of 1. The only time my faster unit dies is when the defending unit is down to its last health point and successfully defends. So not even scratching a spearman while losing an elite cav must be an extremely rare occurance.

16. jc011

jc011 Rider of Rohan

Same here...I can't get into Civ3 - Strategy and Tips either. :(

17. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

As far as I know, all forum problems have been fixed. :)

18. SGX

SGX Chieftain

RallyK.. I'm not sure how the withdraw thing works 100%... usually when attacking a city, the cavalry retreat if they are down to 1 health and the defender has more than one..
    but I don't think they retreat if they are down to less than one movement (using roads)

19. Charles

Charles Chieftain

Greets Thundah'

I don't suppose you have any insight or intel on how soon we can be expecting a response from Firaxis on all these issues, and more importantly "what are they working on right now" Civ3-Gold, Civ3-Expansion, any clue? They don't seem to respond to askthecivteam@firaxis.com so I gave up personally.

PS. What happened to Apolyton? How soon can we see it up again?

Thanks.
    Charles.

20. hwinkels

hwinkels Chieftain

Well, it's finally working again.