Is it normal to have sexual orentation struggles?

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
I did not want to threadjack the "Homosexual PDA and Public Nudity" thread. But I have a question that just came up to mind just recently after seeing two related threads about it.

My question is, Is it normal to have sexuality struggles and become confused? I know I am in the same boat because I defenately fit the picture and trying to struggle with my sexuality after reverting to Christianity and trying to space myself away from homosexual activities. Then comes to my second question, has anyone here ever faced any kind of struggles?

Note: This thread is about struggles with sexual orentation. Not struggles with having sex!

I haven't, but I know quite a few people who have struggled with their sexuality.

One was bisexual but didn't want to accept it, one thought they might be gay but they weren't etc etc.

But at the minute, it seems to be "cool" to be gay where I live...

EDIT: Yes, it is quite "normal" (although the majority of people never get into the situation, quite a lot do as well).

I think you should just accept your sexuality.

And even though you are trying to adhere to your Religion, Christianity to be very mixed up on the issue, both supporting and being againgst it.

The world is crazy.

:crazyeye:.

I am sure you could google it and get over 1000 essays on it.

Most i hve had is the "look and wonder why mine seems smaller"

That's the problem I have with the massive mediatization of homosexuality. Surely I had thought about the possibility in my teenage years, but this was compeletely unnecessary. Many, way too many teenagers are having doubts about their sexuality for no reason whatsoever and these doubts do not have a positive impact on their morale resulting in high depression and suicide rates.
Let's shut up about homosexuality once and for all, it's confusing and destabilizing perfectly heterosexual teenagers with a normal teen overdose of hormones ... why ??

Yes, it is normal, for though I myself have never had one, I know many who have.

Nor do I believe this is because of a media overload on homosexuality, noting that it was quite common throughout history.

Yeah, it is fairly normal.
One does often, as a young adult, feel very confused, and without a sense of direction.
That is why young adults shouln't suscribe themselves to a certain sexuality.

North King said:
Nor do I believe this is because of a media overload on homosexuality, noting that it was quite common throughout history.
It may have been common, these unnecessary doubts of youngsters is not. Out of sight, out of mind... so let's keep it out of sight.

SonicX said:
It may have been common, these unnecessary doubts of youngsters is not. Out of sight, out of mind... so let's keep it out of sight.

Let's not, as that's media censorship. The struggle that homosexuals have *is* a major facet of modern politics, you can't just shove it out of the way since you don't like it.

Yes it is normal. It is natural. It is in your genetics.

Every man or women will at some point in their lifes have sexual thoughts about the same sex. It's part of figuring out who you are.

@CivGeneral: why are you so confused? Do you turned on by naked men or women? Just ask yourself.

For example, I can't be turned on by men, as I find the view of a naked man's body repulsive if I tried to see it as erotic(except mine, of course! j/k).

Some people are turned on by both sexes and most by one(either the same sex as theirs or the opposite sex).

SonicX said:
That's the problem I have with the massive mediatization of homosexuality. Surely I had thought about the possibility in my teenage years, but this was compeletely unnecessary. Many, way too many teenagers are having doubts about their sexuality for no reason whatsoever and these doubts do not have a positive impact on their morale resulting in high depression and suicide rates.
Let's shut up about homosexuality once and for all, it's confusing and destabilizing perfectly heterosexual teenagers with a normal teen overdose of hormones ... why ??

Anything to support this?

Yes, it's normal.
Yes, Ive been there.

Do you believe God created you?
Did he give you the ability to love men and women?
Those passages in the bible (especially NT) speak of abuse, of relationships which were not based on equality and love but something completely different.

Most of christian churches official dogmas are dominated by people with strongest opinions and there seems to be nothing that raises stronger feelings than homosexuality. That gut feeling that most straight men have that they wouldn't want to do it is so strong that it's easy to cling on to it.
It doesn't mean that everybody feels that way.
And most of those who do, are quite polite about it face to face.

I don't only know people who've struggled with the combination of sexuality and Christianity, I also know people who are gay, lesbian or bisexual AND work for the church. It is possible.

Yes I've been in a situation where I had to leave collge and find a new place to live in, because the church didn't accept me. They may tell you that they "love the person, hate the sin", but sexuality is too big apart of person for it to be possible to carve it up in that way.

It is possible to find a solution to your problems. I understand that you are very lost now, but you'll find a way.
Please CivGeneral visit this website for gay, lesbian, bisexual and trangender catholics.
It will help you a lot more than the people on this board can.

It is absolutely normal for bisexual and gay people to struggle to accept their orientation. My guess is that most of the people who are now bisexual or gay struggled for a while because a vocal part of society does not accept them.
I believe that the vast majority of heterosexuals do not struggle at all (but I don't have any science to back it up).

Columbia University Health Center has some Q&A on their site for gay/lesbian/bi youth
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/Cat8-full.html#108

I, personally, struggled a lot to accept my sexuality. I realized I was gay at the age of 17. I had been attracted only to boys my whole life up to that point, but my catholic school and my family had hardly ever mentioned gays and they only thing that I knew was that they were supposed to be perverts (of course it is not true). Because I thought that they must be perverts I did not think it could be me, but a day I just realized that I had been attracted always exclusively by boys and there was no denying reality.
It took me quite a few years to accept myself, because of all the evil (and false) things that people were saying about gays. It took me even more years to tell it to my friends and start meeting other gays. My life is much better now. My life is now full of people who love me for who I really am.

punkbass2000 said:
Anything to support this?
It's simple. What you don't know about, you don't think about...
Sure some might still doubt, but many now doubt because of the overmediatization. For years they thought us that 10-12 % is gay, but we only knew a few people out of hundreds who were gay ... which ofcourse led many to think that 9 % don't know it yet, there's a 10 to 1 odd you may be one of them.
Luckily they now claim the number to be 2-3 %, which will cause less doubts already.

SonicX said:
It's simple. What you don't know about, you don't think about...
Ignorance is bliss, he ?

I might have had sexuality struggles, were I brought up differently. As it is, I have wild fantasies instead, and I have a very well-defined line in my head of what's real and what's not.
Sexual worries happen. Ignore them for a while and see if they go away.

What I can recommend for you, CG, is that you go and read EGS. Everybody on the forum there is supportive, and they give out hugs.

Akka said:
Ignorance is bliss, he ?
It sure can be. Knowing too much also causes worrying too much. It's no coincidence there a relation between intelligence and depression ... too many worries about things we shouldn't even think about.

Top Bottom