Is it OK (for white people) to use black emojis and gifs?

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
This random video I found on the BBC that I found on BBC while I was learning more about the world, and not at all in some other video on youtube, makes the case that using dark-skinned emojis is cultural appropriation. For reasons that are not really specified further, and even in the concept of cultural appropriation it doesn't seem to make much sense, given that "black skin" is not a cultural good, and that dark skinned emojis aren't something that black people have invented anyway, it's something that has been created specifically for the sake of diversity (which I don't really understand, as emojis are usually yellow for the exact reason of being race-neutral, but that's another story.

The lady in the video also spouts the opinion that memes that depict black people are racist, because it uses black bodies as means of entertainment.. or something. I guess that's like in voodoo, when you catch somebody's soul and then force it to do whatever you want. The lady also calls it "digital blackface".

I had always assumed that the people who use these memes are just having a good bit of fun at the expense of nobody, and that given that there are all sorts of image memes that do generally not look in a negative light at the characteristics of the people involved (although racist ones most certainly exist) these memes are mostly color blind, but the lady in the video makes the argument that actually, they're pretty much people sharing black expressions as if they were attractions in a circus.

Well. I guess that's one way of looking at it. One that I don't agree with, but maybe you do?

Oh, for crying out loud... :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, some people will be claiming non-black people are "culturally appropriating" outer space because it's black. Some indigenous people are saying non-indigenous people "shouldn't be legally allowed to use Indigenous words." Excuse me? The name of our whole country is an indigenous word! I guess I should count myself fortunate that under all her black fur, my Maddy's skin is as white as my own. Wouldn't want to "appropriate" anything. :huh:

I used to help run a forum for smiley artists. It was owned by a guy in British Columbia. He specialized in Invision-style smileys (we have some on CFC) and his site contained tens of thousands of smiley images and over a dozen generators so people could make their own personalized smileys. If you ever run across an Invision-style Fourth Doctor smiley set, that's one I helped create. That site had a bunch of x-rated material, as well, and of course it had smileys based on black, hispanic, various Asian cultures... it was an international site, with a section for multilingual posters (English, French, German, and with the help of translators, Russian posters were welcome as well).

Anyone remember the old Spud avatar I had a long time ago? I made my avatar on the Smileygenerator site, and there are at least two complete sets of Spud smileys - just about any emotion you can think of. Some of us even gave Spud a wife and several Spudlets for children. Should I be worried that Farm Boy will accuse me of cultural appropriation because he's a farmer and I'm not?

I know there are black smiley sets, both the Invision kind and others. It's about as much "cultural appropriation" as it would be if purple or green people or Vikings or Egyptians turned up and started ranting about "cultural appropriation."

So I've got no patience with silliness such as this. If this woman wants non-black people to refrain from using brown-black-toned smileys, she should do the same, but in reverse. Wouldn't want her to "culturally appropriate" anything.

/sarcasm

If you're watching the video, it's for you.

If you're watching the video, it's for you.
Huh?

The video won't play for me, so I've no idea what it says. I just find the whole idea absurd, that the color of a smiley could possibly be considered "cultural appropriation." Maybe I should report Camilla Eriksson, of Millan.net for making various multicultural smileys. I wonder if she asked permission of every Scottish person before creating a cute little bagpipe-playing smiley.

well, the video isnt for you then is it.

Here's a version for everybody! (46 upvotes, 2732 downvotes)

So thanks to a poster I won't mention and now the nazi thing, everyone has to mention white people and it is by far our #1 obsession, replacing Trump himself? There's got to be something we can talk about besides white people vs black people. Jesus.

Good idea. We should talk about Jesus instead. Hopefully, a Jesus emoji wouldn't be considered racist either.

CFC has one of those. Personally, I find it annoying. But then I'd find any religious smiley annoying.

Only Ganesh, God of Copyright Enforcement, has the power to reach every infringement.

Is it OK (for white people) to use black emojis and gifs?
Absolutely not. We have to fight racism, bigotry and white supremacy wherever we find it

Is not that racism? To me it sound like racism to limit what type of emojis people are allowed to use based on their skin color.

Top Bottom