Is it OK (for white people) to use black emojis and gifs?

Is not that racism? To me it sound like racism to limit what type of emojis people are allowed to use based on their skin color.
It sounds like you have white-gif-privilege

Why do you call it a privilege like it should matter what skin color you have if you are allowed to use a specific picture.

Are you making fun of the suffering that people of color must endure daily? Being exposed to such gifs and everything?

Obviously you are only ever allowed to use emojis that match your exact skin tone. Anything else is racist and hateful and puts us on the path to genocide

:hug:
Notice that if you use exclusively white-gif, it means you're a white supremacist, obviously. And if you don't you're culturally-appropriating, so you're also a white supremacist.

Are you making fun of the suffering that people of color must endure daily? Being exposed to such gifs and everything?
No I am not. On the other hand Im against any rules that have to do with skin color or any form of racism because to me saying that only black people should be allowed to use black colored emojis is racism or limit white emojis to white people is racism.

Notice that if you use exclusively white-gif, it means you're a white supremacist, obviously. And if you don't you're culturally-appropriating, so you're also a white supremacist.

The rules are the rules. Stick to your own skin colour or else.

I'm one of the lucky few who alternates from green to purple to yellow to black skin colour at will. So I can use emoticons of all those 4 colours as much as I want.

Notice that if you use exclusively white-gif, it means you're a white supremacist, obviously

That's an excellent point. So obviously both non-white and white gifs will have to be banned. Reaction gifs will be limited to animal faces only, unless PETA deems that to be animal abuse

No I am not. On the other hand Im against any rules that have to do with skin color or any form of racism because to me saying that only black people should be allowed to use black colored emojis is racism or limit white emojis to white people is racism.

Are you saying that you don't see color? That race doesn't matter? *GASP* That's horribly racist, somehow

Denkt, I'm starting to wonder if your sarcasm detector isn't completely and hopelessly broken.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Why can't we just use :hug: or :grouphug:? The reason we have them is because I thought they would be useful in conveying support, friendship, good wishes, etc. and petitioned to have them added to the forum's smileys. If you like them, go over to Site Feedback and say "thank you" to Petek for installing them.

Why are you using a red-body smiley? Are you native american?
Warpus is obviously a Vulcan/Martian who came here from 1964, when Gene Roddenberry was trying to figure out how to develop the character of Spock. The red-toned body makeup didn't turn out very well in the screen tests, so that's why Vulcans are green(ish).

They still had problems with the green skin tones, as the film developers didn't understand that Vina, in her Orion slave girl persona, was supposed to be green. They kept "correcting" her skin tone back to Caucasian. Roddenberry, et. al couldn't understand the problem. "Paint her greener!" they said to the makeup department. So they painted actress Susan Oliver greener, and the results still came back showing her as her natural white self.

It took awhile, but they finally got the problem straightened out. And now there's an argument going on over at the Star Trek forum I belong to as to whether they should have had a black man (Tim Russ) playing a Vulcan (Tuvok, in the Voyager series). He doesn't look even slightly green, although the smiley someone made to resemble him is definitely green.

vulcan.gif

I'm actually a chameleon type of Polish Canadian. We are very rare.

And obviously blackface-specific types of emojis are not cool. I'm sure those exist out there somewhere. They would obviously be racist even though I've never seen any ever. But other than that...

It's OK for white people to use dark emojis as long as they respectfully asked for permission to the traditional dark skinned communities that have been using dark emojis for centuries. Otherwise it's a clear micro-aggression that may trigger all kinds of emotional distress on communities that have seen their dark emojis oppressed for centuries, only to see them become cool when white folks use them. And then colleges across the land would need to build emoji-free safe spaces.

I'm not sure if "cultural appropriation" is the word for it, but she's not wrong, not fundamentally. It's not uncommon, on certain parts of the internet, for people to adopt a sort of "sassy black person" manner for comic effect, and gifs can play into that.

Now, I'm of two minds of the "blackface" characterisation. It seems unfair, because the image of black people in popular culture is a bit more complex than just some musical buffoon; most of these gifs play on a perception that black people represent a greater emotional authenticity or self-possession than white people, and their use by presumably white millennials represents not a confidence in white supremacy but a disenchantment with the psychological and emotional enfeeblement of the white middle class. On the other hand, the characters played by black minstrels were not simply buffoons, but could be witty or sly or charming after their own fashion, and were similarly identified as emotionally authentic, but that did not make those portrayals any less derogatory.

I think the common thread as the depiction of black people as naive: both of them represent a view of black people as basically child-like, as just doing or saying whatever comes into their head. While the former may find some romance in this where the latter views it with contempt, neither are humanising depictions, both of them reduce actual, living black people to a mirror image for white people to define themselves against. And that's enough of a concern to at least think, for a moment, whether the gif you had in mind is appropriate.

Top Bottom