1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Col] Is it possible to advance Natives?

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Aleksey_aka_al, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Not sure whether it was a dream, a bug, or really happened, but playing this game (original) years ago once I noticed that the look of Arawak villages changed to Inca style. The tribe's status changed too, as I recall. My guess back then was that the reason was either time progression, or massive tools trade, or both.

Have you ever experienced anything like that?

2. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Another thing I noticed, is that advanced specialties become available in Native villages later in the game. E.g. expert blacksmiths instead of expert ore miners.

3. xmyth

xmyth Chieftain

Happened to me for the first time yesterday, i was taken by suprise. the Arawak villiages were in the Aztech style for me, though i believe this to be a bug. It was very early game ~1500, they were the first indians i had encountered. Never had it happen before or since.

4. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

I ran a session once where I did constant trading with a nearby Inca town, and they eventually started offering horses and guns in trade. Never seen anything like advancement though. It's great fun to weaponize the natives surrounding the other European settlements.

In theory selling all your goods to the natives can be more profitable than Europe in the late game. Their economy never crashes and there is no tax rate. But you need a diverse economy that can offer loads of ALL the finished products. They demand a new product at random after their previous demand is filled. You will want to have a wagon nearby waiting with it.

5. Oncle Boris

Oncle Boris Chieftain

My brother said it happened to him once, an agrarian tribe "advanced" to civilized.

We've always been intrigued and would love to find the truth behind this!